• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Terror in Resonance BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
This one along with Baby Blue are so far the only Watanabe anime I've seen. It's nice to see that a director who's mostly know for being an entertainer can also create something purely to make a statement, and be angry and controversial in the process.

Guess I'll have to go and watch Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Space Dandy now.

Wow those titles. What's it going to be next? Knight Napoo, Ocean Ogee, Terrorist Tazza? Laughing
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This was the worst show I had seen in a while. The main characters were soulless bastard geniuses who had no real higher purpose or meaning that could have at least fleshed them out a little. spoiler["Revenge on corrupt school conspirators"] is not enough, especially given the extent of terrorism they were engaging in. It would be one thing if they were merely engaging in Anonymous-style hacking or Wikileaks type stuff. But these guys were blowing up buildings and spoiler[sending around nuclear devices]. All the while, we were supposed to sympathize with them and believe that they didn't want to hurt anyone. It was totally preposterous.

And yes, the female lead was a total dud. She was a typical hapless and essentially worthless female character that anime writers are often fond of putting in their shows. I don't know why. You would think that they could have a well balanced female lead who at least has some useful qualities or some ability to be good at something, but she seems like the usual damsel type character who's only reason for being there is to be rescued or protected by the male leads. That kind of character is frankly offensive to me.

The cops were kind of interesting characters, yes. That was probably the only enjoyment I got out of the show.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
" just short of a masterpiece"

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while. Unlikable characters, poor pacing, abysmal resolution and pretty much no way to connect to any of the characters. The only thing this show did right was the music and backgrounds. It tried to pass off as smart, but the mystery was poor, the riddles were pathetic and the story was... well almost not even there. I don't know what the reviewer was watching, but it couldn't have been the same Terror in Resonance that I watched.

garlogan78 wrote:
How much did Funimation pay for this review?

Probably the usual 5 babies-2 souls package. It's pretty popular.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
I can sympathize with everything Nick says about his feelings towards this show without arriving at the same grade. This is definitely an "ideas over plot execution" series, which works well for me if the ideas are compelling enough (Wolf's Rain, From the New World, Tokyo Ghoul...). But the plot execution part suffered from problems too big for me to arrive at an A rating in this case.

However, I found it interesting to see so many people having such severe problems with the show's ending, which wasn't the case for me. Five, Lisa, and the ridiculousness of zero casualties left me scratching my head much more than the ending, which made perfect sense within the context of the series, Greek references included.

I think the series and its message would have benefited from Nine and Twelve having to deal with collateral damage and resulting questions in order to get their justice/recognition. Lots of emotional and narrative potential there. I didn't quite understand why they didn't want to go there and made suspension of disbelief so unnecessarily hard instead.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree quite a bit with this review. There is very compelling character work in this show which I think was just mishandled. Five is the epitome of this: her character arc dragged the show into absurdity until the very last moment spoiler[before she dies, and suddenly the irrationality with which she pursued the leads is redeemed as a symptom of their shared victimization. The show was duplicitous in setting up Five as a character: she was framed as a "no-nonsense, cutthroat, terrorist-catching-expert" which would cut through all the red tape that Sphinx was exploiting to humiliate the police department. As a matter of (to be revealed) fact, it was pretty much the exact opposite.

This superficial characterization of her for 90% of her arc, made even more absurd by Sphinx's reactions to her (which like the character herself made a lot more sense after her suicide) was completely antithetical to the actual point of the character, which, by the time it was revealed, was not really enough to undo the damage caused by her setup as a rational threat being awkwardly juxtaposed against her clearly insane theatrics. This problem reached its apex at "airport chess", which made absolutely no sense in the context of how Five was then characterized, and I imagine that broke the show for a lot of people. Unfortunately, in retrospect, it makes perfect sense, and I really felt like Five was entirely redeemed as a character by the end of the show, but certainly not the way the show handled her. ]

And I'm pretty sure these kinds of feelings are symptomatic:

Z-Raid wrote:
I liked the show a lot when it was just beginning but then Five appeared and the plot quality really took a nose dive. I don't think the anime as a whole is a great anime, but I don't think it's an absolutely terrible one either. It doesn't help that I found a lot of characters unrelatable or I just didn't like them at all.

Ambimunch wrote:
Good show, but very boring. Half the time I was yawning with tears in my eyes. I also felt it tried too hard to be "epic" and felt silly at times.

relyat08 wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm having a harder time than Nick in looking past the really crappy crime thriller story that surrounds these characters. Also, Five is such a terrible character. Like seriously, she knocked the whole show down a point, just by herself.
-The show gives off the impression for most of its runtime that it's a crime thriller, but it really isn't. Five is the atom of this problem: the distortion of the human soul through its instrumentalization is almost celebrated by the context in which she's used for most of her arc. Here, she's a foil to Sphinx "qua skill". The reality of her character is that she was a foil to sphinx qua psychological damage, that her ability to think like 12 and 9 was just a symptom of a deeper, more tragic bond, and that a celebration of her as a badass antagonist would be completely antithetical to the point of her character. But that was understood too late. Ultimately the show drives home the point that Five is an exemplar of why the dehuminzation of individuals for industry should be condemned, and why the show is really a tragedy, but it's too late.

So I think that's really the central problem with the show, which, had it been handled just a little differently, would have resulted in a massive shift in the show's reception.

As the review pointed out, there were moments in this show of Watanabe/Kanno synchronization at its best. When I first saw the episode with 12 and Lisa's motorcycle escape set to "is", I A) got chills watching the way the editing was cut to the music, with the sound of 12's bike flowing in and out with the rising vocals, and B) rewatched it probably more than 20 times immediately afterward. The ferris wheel scene set to "von" was another example of that.

edit - reading further into the review ( Embarassed ) I see we isolated the exact same moments, lol.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
but she seems like the usual damsel type character who's only reason for being there is to be rescued or protected by the male leads. That kind of character is frankly offensive to me.

While I agree with you about the characterization, I disagree about it being offensive. If you find her offensive, then you must find the majority of humanity offensive also, for the same reasons.

Very few people stand and deliver, those few that do either make society better or worse, depending on their nature of good and evil.

Most people, male or female, are just like her.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
but she seems like the usual damsel type character who's only reason for being there is to be rescued or protected by the male leads. That kind of character is frankly offensive to me.

While I agree with you about the characterization, I disagree about it being offensive. If you find her offensive, then you must find the majority of humanity offensive also, for the same reasons.

Very few people stand and deliver, those few that do either make society better or worse, depending on their nature of good and evil.

Most people, male or female, are just like her.

I strongly disagree. Most humans have some talents and are able to contribute to their environment, in big or small ways. This character type has virtually no talent at anything and is meant to symbolize an aberration - someone whose whole purpose for existing is to define the good or bad qualities if those around her. those who protect her = good. Those who hurt her = bad. Such a character aspires to nothing greater than that. Usually there is only one, or maybe two of her in a story. Her utter uselessness sets her apart from the rest of the cast.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Was Lisa even a character? I thought she was a just a tool used to make 9 and 12 look remotely non-robotic. She honestly had no other purpose of existing in the story.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll echo everyone else, Nick was pretty generous with the show. My main problem with the show was the entire premise of the bloodless/casualty-free terrorist attacks. I feel like Shinichiro Watanabe doomed the plot from the start by forcing this story premise. The fact that nobody dies from any of Nine and Twelve's bombings makes the characters come off as either inept terrorists or really messed-up pranksters, which made the overall story much less compelling for me. The spoiler[EMP explosion scene where nobody dies],was the most ridiculous plot twist for me.

That said, I still like show, mostly for the aesthetics and some of the themes. It's a beautiful looking show, the background art especially is some of the best I've seen for a long time. The city scenes and building interiors have an incredible amount of the detail and I don't think Yoko Kanno has ever composed a score that wasn't at least very good. Watanabe's directorial touch definitely saved the show for me. Thriller shows are tricky to write for because the genre generally has less suspension of belief and tighter plotting than say, an action show. I'm not sure if Watanabe's style worked against him here.

Knoepfchen wrote:
I can sympathize with everything Nick says about his feelings towards this show without arriving at the same grade. This is definitely an "ideas over plot execution" series, which works well for me if the ideas are compelling enough (Wolf's Rain, From the New World, Tokyo Ghoul...). But the plot execution part suffered from problems too big for me to arrive at an A rating in this case.

However, I found it interesting to see so many people having such severe problems with the show's ending, which wasn't the case for me. Five, Lisa, and the ridiculousness of zero casualties left me scratching my head much more than the ending, which made perfect sense within the context of the series, Greek references included.

Yeah, Terror in Resonance is definitely one of those concept shows like Eden of the East or C Control, where the themes and ideas take precedence over a tight plot or deep characterization. Even people who disliked TiR will admit that there's striking individual scenes or moments despite all the narrative issues. I agree with you on the ending as well. Why do spoiler[ the Americans show up out of nowhere and kill Twelve ]? I have no idea from a plot perspective but thematically it fits with the story.

edit-I thought Watanabe wrote some episodes, nevermind.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Yeah, Terror in Resonance is definitely one of those concept shows like Eden of the East or C Control, where the themes and ideas take precedence over a tight plot or deep characterization.

Oof, I wouldn't mention Eden of the East in the same breath as TiR and ESPECIALLY not C - Control, that show was horrendous I find, but I guess I see what you mean, Eden's characters could've stood out a liiittle more I guess. I thought most of Eden of the East worked quite well from what I recall, haven't seen the movies though, but from what I heard on ANNCast, they kind of change the message the series was arguing and such.

Paul D. Atreides wrote:
This one along with Baby Blue are so far the only Watanabe anime I've seen. It's nice to see that a director who's mostly know for being an entertainer can also create something purely to make a statement, and be angry and controversial in the process.

Guess I'll have to go and watch Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Space Dandy now.

Wow those titles. What's it going to be next? Knight Napoo, Ocean Ogee, Terrorist Tazza? Laughing

Baby Blue is incredible, such a beautiful short. Justin's glowing praise of it made me check it out (and also Limit Cycle because I wanted to see how bad it was, and oh boy, it's dire). Idk about the other Genius Party shorts except I want to see Shanghai Dragon still.

I find it interesting you stumbled across Baby Blue first of all his stuff though, peculiar, but interesting. There's also Macross Plus he directed I believe, got it sitting on my shelf, still need to watch it. Space Dandy is fun, especially the 2nd half, Samurai Champloo is one of my all time favourites and Bebop is one of the staples of the medium, if you liked TiR (or didn't) I'm sure you'll love his other stuff. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I strongly disagree. Most humans have some talents and are able to contribute to their environment, in big or small ways. This character type has virtually no talent at anything and is meant to symbolize an aberration - someone whose whole purpose for existing is to define the good or bad qualities if those around her. those who protect her = good. Those who hurt her = bad. Such a character aspires to nothing greater than that. Usually there is only one, or maybe two of her in a story. Her utter uselessness sets her apart from the rest of the cast.

I am sure she had some talents, but when she was taken out of the context of normal society, they were of no use. When you ride the dragon there is little time to do what you want, until you jump off. I am sure she was included in this show solely as eye candy and perhaps to somehow humanize the show's two male characters, but most of real society is made up of people who are useless when taken out of the structured order of society.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
^ Who cares about talents? Lisa could barely breathe on her own without screwing it up. She couldn't boil water, couldn't even hold a pan without dropping it, couldn't run without falling down or running into people, was too stupid to figure out how to evacuate a building with a 30 min head start. If the majority of humanity was this inept, we'd have gone extinct long ago.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Oof, I wouldn't mention Eden of the East in the same breath as TiR and ESPECIALLY not C - Control, that show was horrendous I find, but I guess I see what you mean, Eden's characters could've stood out a liiittle more I guess. I thought most of Eden of the East worked quite well from what I recall, haven't seen the movies though, but from what I heard on ANNCast, they kind of change the message the series was arguing and such.

Ah, let me clarify. I see Eden of the East as one of those shows where the themes stand out over the plot. People who dislike EotE (TV series) usually complain about the ending and how a lot of the story details are left resolved. I was initially disappointed too but it wasn't a deal breaker in my enjoyment of the show. The big difference for me, is that EotE has more interesting things to say about its themes and definitely more interesting characters than TiR. As a result, I still think EotE is a very good show despite the narrative problems. But with TiR the narrative issues are much more damaging since the characters and the theme exploration are a lot less interesting.

By the way, Eden of the East is actually one of my favorite shows from the 2000's. It's one of the few "concept" shows that also has nicely developed and interesting characters athough I never got around to watching the movies either. I hope we get a review for that upcoming premium edition since I'd love to revisit the show again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4