• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Why Are There So Many Isekai/Parallel World Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
One reason that could explain this is that many anime fans want to escape from reality. So, a parallel world seems appropriate.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
[quote="DanQ"]No mention of .hack//whatever series? Sad Y_Y.[/quote
Especially since SAO stole it's premise from that series. It even had the situation where if one died in the game they could die in real life.

The Spellsinger books are a classic example of this idea. They start with a person from the real world ODing and waking up in the fantasy world.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Even worse is when the characters are clearly self-inserts.

it depends , some of the self insert ones are good provided the author kindof respect his personality and also, provided he does not make the plot bend to his will so it becomes a self satisfying fantasy. mushoku tensei should be a good example of good self insert.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

The Spellsinger books are a classic example of this idea. They start with a person from the real world ODing and waking up in the fantasy world.

Epic, deep cut! My favorite Alan Dean Foster novel series. Also Christopher Stasheff's Wizard in Rhyme series

My favorite "sent to Another World" anime is still El-Hazard: The Magnificent World and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Re: Zero is a fairly close second so far. Habba habba, zoot zoot.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
I feel the "SAO epidemic" unfortunately is not limited to just Isekai. There are three regions SAO populated and caused dozens of companies to try and follow suit: The Isekai landscape, the Trapped-In-A-Game landscape, and the one that hasn't been mentioned - the Magical High School landscape. SAO features high school centric moments in its season 1 finale, Extra Edition movie, and a few of the Season 2 episodes, but all of SAO's tropes have begun to infest the genre. Instead of learning from popular shows with a similar feel, such as Soul Eater, most companies are trying to cash in on being SAO tonal clones, such as The Asterisk War and Absolute Duo. And this is a problem, since SAO has very poor quality to begin with, so cloning it only results in worst shows. If you really want to succeed, you need to find a way to take the concept and parody (Konosuba), deconstruct (Re:Zero) or perfect (Log Horizon) said concept, not replicate it.

The reason they try to clone SAO is because how good and popular it is.
For example is #3 in popularity in MAL. And is even bigger in Japan. #3 in LN Sales that is a number more precise than MAL popularity. Yes there is a very vocal minority of people that hate it (like in many popular things there are always hate) but most people love it, even if some parts where not that good, even unnecessary, like the Fairy Dance arc.

You chose some of the worse examples. Asterisk War and Absolute Duo have noting to do with SAO expect they are battle LN's.They are not Isekai. The SAO high-school parts that you refer are in a normal high-school, no magic involved.
And also what does Soul Eater have to do with SAO?
Soul Eater is a manga aimed to a younger audience than SAO novels. They also have noting in common in therms of plot.

Being #3 in popularity only means that the third greatest amount of people have put it on their list; in the critical rankings, it's #867. And no, it's not MOST people. It's split pretty evenly, and personally I gave Season 1 a 6 out of 10 on MAL. Then again I probably shouldn't bother with the guy that has Kirito as his profile pic.

As for the shows you mentioned, I used Asterisk and AD to show series that took the tropes SAO brought to the Isekai genre, and then used Soul Eater to show a series that doesn't use those tropes despite being a magical school show (the fact it's not like SAO is the point). While there is no magic at their school, all of them still play the games, and regardless the series' tropes in the rest of the settings, such as the "battle harem", were adopted by the magical school genre and have been used constantly since.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Being #3 in popularity only means that the third greatest amount of people have put it on their list; in the critical rankings, it's #867. And no, it's not MOST people. It's split pretty evenly, and personally I gave Season 1 a 6 out of 10 on MAL. Then again I probably shouldn't bother with the guy that has Kirito as his profile pic.

As for the shows you mentioned, I used Asterisk and AD to show series that took the tropes SAO brought to the Isekai genre, and then used Soul Eater to show a series that doesn't use those tropes despite being a magical school show (the fact it's not like SAO is the point). While there is no magic at their school, all of them still play the games, and regardless the series' tropes in the rest of the settings, such as the "battle harem", were adopted by the magical school genre and have been used constantly since.

About MAL, 78.8% of the voters of first season and 71.8% for the second give a 7 or more. so still are most people. But also looking at LN rankings is still very popular after all this years, and that is a number a lot more precise than MAL. And i can go on and talk about BD sales,etc.
And been involved and read fandom sites of all over the world i can tell you most critics are from North American sites.

About the troups. Before SAO there were magical school and battle harem: Zero no Tsukaima (Zero no Tsukaima was also one of the firsts "transported to another world" titles), 11 eyes, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, IS: Infinite Stratos, Hidan no Aria, C3: Cube x Cursed x Curious. High School DxD.
So no, SAO was not the first. And Asterisk and AD have more in common with those animes than with SAO and the troups came from this ones and not from SAO.

And, SAO is not magical school. In magical school animes there are magic or super powers in the school, and is part of the school setting ,most plot happens in that school.
Just because some people with powers or gamers in anime go to school, that anime is not magical school.
By your understating, Fate/ stay night ,Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Black Rock Shooter are magical school, because there are people with powers that go to school.

Like you said SAO bring some of these troups to Isekai, but that affect isekai titles and not tiles like Asterisk and AD.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:44 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:

Epic, deep cut! My favorite Alan Dean Foster novel series. Also Christopher Stasheff's Wizard in Rhyme series

Oh wow, I read the first Spellsinger novel way back long ago - I'd almost forgotten about that one. My first exposure to the isekai concept in fantasy novels was actually Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, which are really good but definitely much more on the Re:Zero end of the light/dark scale than the NGNL end. Also, good to see Tron get a mention in the article, as that's been one of my favorite movies ever since I was about six years old.

Funnily enough, I never even thought about Escaflowne as being an isekai series, but it definitely qualifies. It wasn't quite my first exposure to isekai anime, as I'd already watched some of Fushigi Yugi and El Hazard by then, but it would for sure be my favorite series in that style.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
Well, Bryce Papenbrook has experience with the alternative world since he also did work in .hack. Heck, that franchise may have been what kind of started this somewhat common anime trope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2