• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Its Own Convention After Surpassing 1 Million Paid Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
Me too! The only con I attend year round is NYCC so if the New York anime con was to take place earlier in the summer I'd be all for it!

I've been meaning to ask another native New Yorker if you think because they are giving anime it's own con again in New York, that there will still be anime represented at NYCC? This'll determine whether or not I attend this year.

That's a really good question. I'm also kind of limited to NYCC as my hometown con
(it's the only major one that easily allows non-drivers in New York to commute). It's really hard to know what they're planning before the tickets go on sale--the schedules and even the major guests are announced after most of the tickets are sold out. Will they cut their already paltry anime programming altogether? I'm not sure, but I doubt anyone will go out of their way to get the big guests like manga-ka.
There is a fairly new con called Liberty City Anime Con planned in the Time Square Marriot Marquis August 18-20 this year. I don't know anything about it personally, but it seems like more of a fan-run con (akin to Otakon and the like) than a professionally run expo like NYCC, and it's guaranteed to have anime programing
(they already have American voice actors and ADR directors on their guest list). It looks exciting!
I don't think New Yorkers should complain that west coasters get all the good guests. Even if we have fewer cons than California and less industry guests (and I'm not even sure if that's true), we do have basically guaranteed screenings of limited run anime films in NYC theaters, and all year round we have access to a huge selection of manga in our libraries (the Mid-Manhattan branch of the New York City library on 5th Ave & 40th has a room dedicated to graphic novels and manga, including manga in Japanese) and a local Kunokuniya and Book-Off. It's not that bad.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Crunchyroll is the title sponsor of AnimeNYC this November in New York City's Javits Center, so I don't understand everyone complaining about Crunchyroll only hosting cons on the west coast. One in California, one in New York, they've got the coasts covered. They need to schedule one in Chicago now!

...But the timing sucks. I can't think of a worse time to host a con in New York than November, right before Thanksgiving. If they wanted to avoid the summer con crunch, I would have preferred that they schedule it somewhere between early spring and early summer, I.e., between a month before Anime Boston (March 31-April 2) and Otakon (August 11-13). It would have fit in nicely, had decent weather, and been better overall for commuting New Yorkers.

The main reason I am disappointed the NYC one is in November is because of potential conflicts with this

http://longislanddoctorwho.com/
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
You mean a financial conflict? Because assuming one is commuting to both cons, one week apart isn't that bad, although taking off two Fridays in a row would be difficult.

I like the concept of an online con! Get exclusive premieres and live-stream interviews with cool guests over a weekend.
Oawi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
godchun wrote:
if they are the "largest online home for anime", then why not make an online anime convention instead of a real life one

While this comment initially made me roll my eyes, that does bring up the very real possibility that Crunchyroll could record and post a ton of video from their Expo on their website. If they deliver on their promises awesome never-done-before content, there could be a lot of interesting panel and event videos that would be nice to watch online for those of us who won't be attending in person. I'd say it'd be silly for them to not use it as a platform for promoting future years of this Expo.

They could do what Blizzard does with Blizzcon and offer a Virtual Ticket with live streaming of Opening/Closing ceremonies, Panels, specials and also VOD for panels that didn't make the cut for streaming live. I would definitely be interested in that.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Well I have to admit I didn't see this one coming and although I think that crunchyroll has better things to do with there time I'm curious about how this will turn out. Confused
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
You mean a financial conflict? Because assuming one is commuting to both cons, one week apart isn't that bad, although taking off two Fridays in a row would be difficult.

I like the concept of an online con! Get exclusive premieres and live-stream interviews with cool guests over a weekend.

I live in Philadelphia so for me it's a bigger deal in terms of costs. And yes this year they happen to be a week apart but in future years they could very well happen during the same weekend. I expect there is quite a bit of crossover among these two groups too.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Message to Crunchyroll: Quit while you're ahead.

I get that your numbers are big right now, but some moderation would be good at this point. Anime is a niche market, and any little problem can send this whole thing crashing down. Just ask ADV what happens when an anime company expands beyond it means. Tread lightly.[/i][/b]
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll can plan a convention but still won't fix their Xbox One app so it doesn't constantly crash and show black screens... that's cool
#hiros7039

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be an interesting scenario because this falls right on the same weekend as MAGFest's westward expansion, MAGWest, which will host at the Hyatt Regency in... Santa Clara, CA. Whether or not, if they will do joint events not having to fully pay two admissions.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wowsa! I remember the days I just got into subbed anime and was watching when Crunchyroll was *cough* not established in '05. It's a very interesting projectory and also just noticed that I went to legit myself but I refuse to be a paid subscriber when they I'm paying the same price as US subscribers but don't have access to same catalogue.

Still, wish them all the best, more successful they get I believe the more support from the Japanese anime industry they'll get which will be great for us.
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
its the weekend before DragonCon and that is way closer to me than CrunchyCon (same city vs opposite side of the country). I do wish for its success though and maybe hope it expands eastward one day.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
risli wrote:
For those complaining that it's in California... You do know that Crunchyroll's HQ is in San Francisco so it would make sense for their first con to be in the SF Bay Area. Also, yes there's Anime Expo but LA is like a 5-6 hours drive south of the South Bay area of SF.. Even longer up north with CA traffic.

While I am sincerely happy for you, I'd like to note that many people have to drive 5-6 hours or more to get to ANY decent Con. Now we are looking at most likely having two of the biggest and probably best cons in the Country within that distance from each other. I think it's fair to be a little bit annoyed.

Zumie wrote:
I can't support these guys after they made and owe so much of their success to fa subs. That said I'm a dub person, so I wouldn't really be paying for crunchy roll anyway.

And the most facepalm worthy comment of the thread goes to this guy. Congratulations.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
While I am sincerely happy for you, I'd like to note that many people have to drive 5-6 hours or more to get to ANY decent Con. Now we are looking at most likely having two of the biggest and probably best cons in the Country within that distance from each other. I think it's fair to be a little bit annoyed.

I think it can easily be shown that California, especially Northern California, has one of the largest, if not *the* largest, demographic of Asians in the US. Not that I'm saying that every person who is Asian is an anime/manga fan, but you have a more receptive audience for all things Japanese in the Bay Area than you do in, say, Topeka, Kansas.

You wrote your location as that Virginia. So you have Otakon. And if you're willing to travel along the eastern seaboard, you also have Anime Boston and Animazement in Raleigh, NC. Please remind me again just how it is that you are suffering when people in South Dakota have it far worse.

For me to attend Anime Expo, I either take a 1 hour flight or drive the 6 hours to get to it. I'm not quite sure what you're considering as 'two of the biggest and best cons', because SoCal is a good 5-7 hour drive from San Francisco, and Fanime in San Jose, CA is nowhere near a 'best' con.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

That's a really good question. I'm also kind of limited to NYCC as my hometown con
(it's the only major one that easily allows non-drivers in New York to commute). It's really hard to know what they're planning before the tickets go on sale--the schedules and even the major guests are announced after most of the tickets are sold out. Will they cut their already paltry anime programming altogether? I'm not sure, but I doubt anyone will go out of their way to get the big guests like manga-ka.
There is a fairly new con called Liberty City Anime Con planned in the Time Square Marriot Marquis August 18-20 this year. I don't know anything about it personally, but it seems like more of a fan-run con (akin to Otakon and the like) than a professionally run expo like NYCC, and it's guaranteed to have anime programing
(they already have American voice actors and ADR directors on their guest list). It looks exciting!
I don't think New Yorkers should complain that west coasters get all the good guests. Even if we have fewer cons than California and less industry guests (and I'm not even sure if that's true), we do have basically guaranteed screenings of limited run anime films in NYC theaters, and all year round we have access to a huge selection of manga in our libraries (the Mid-Manhattan branch of the New York City library on 5th Ave & 40th has a room dedicated to graphic novels and manga, including manga in Japanese) and a local Kunokuniya and Book-Off. It's not that bad.

Haha yeah I've had the question on my mind ever since AnimeNYC was announced and dated after NYCC. I am so conflicted as to whether I should attend NYCC or concentrate on AnimeNYC. As you said, NYCC already has a scarce selection of anime being represented. Furthermore, as you pointed out, they are absolutely horrible at informing their attendees on which guests will be present before tickets go on sale. Actually, I'm pretty sure they announce their guests (especially anime ones) after tickets have been sold, which is bizarre and ridiculous.

Thanks for the tip off on the new con! I definitely wanna go since it's in the summer which should be fun and a month or two before NYCC, AnimeNYC. Maybe we'll run into each other lol

And yeah you're right about New York getting a lot of limited run anime movies. Every time a movie for a series I like gets announced I almost never have to worry about seeing it in due time lol. I guess we New Yorkers should be a little bit more grateful. We do have a lot of places to get manga. Can you believe I haven't been to our very own Kunokuniya..? At this point it's practical bucket list
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
One thing to keep in mind is that Crunchyroll is a business. I would bet much of the purpose of this convention is to generate publicity and bring in more subscribers, or expand outwards into other means of making money. (I do wonder if Crunchyroll will continue to be at other conventions though.)

Morry wrote:
I mean great they feel confident their brand can draw the fans in, but what are their plans to stand out? New announcements for PR? They've been doing fine without the extravagance. I'm not convinced organizing their own convention is as useful as investing in their main service. I can't see this increasing their profit margin, maybe sustain their user base.

If the intent is to expand their audience, then they're going for people who otherwise might not be familiar with Crunchyroll, don't know enough to make an informed decision, or might not have ever been interested in anime to begin with but like going to conventions or happen to be in the area.

Zin5ki wrote:
We can only wonder how a convention will operate if a single licensor were to run it in its entirety. While direct rivals will presumably be absent for the sake of protecting Crunchyroll's commercial interests, will independent dealers be invited? I cannot envisage an anime convention without a plethora of stallholders.

If you ever check out small conventions that aren't anime (or even small conventions that are anime), you'll find that they can get by with few sponsors and no vendors at all. (I will be going to an expo next month that only has a 3-stall artists alley, for instance.) I don't think that'll be the case with Crunchyroll though, as they have a few merchandise partners.

TokyoSplash wrote:
Gamer Goku wrote:
Tfw you're on the east coast.

THIS. Cali already has Expo..FML

California also contains about one-eighth of the population of the United States. It certainly has room for 2 major anime conventions.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Thank you, CrunchyCon (because that is what I and others will call you), for setting up in my stomping grounds. It sounds to me that you'll be filling the void left by the French when they took their Japan Expo USA away in 2015.

Honestly not sure what you could do that other cons have not tried before.

Heh, I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

Dfens wrote:
HeeroTX are you nuts do you think people are going to pay over $200 dollars for a Anime Con? Even Anime Expo the largest Con in the U.S. doesn't cost that much. Now maybe they could sell some premium tickets at that price with extra perks and so forth but for general admission ain't going to happen.

Well, if we take his word for it (and I will), people paid $200 for a BlizzCon admission.

TokyoSplash wrote:
I've been meaning to ask another native New Yorker if you think because they are giving anime it's own con again in New York, that there will still be anime represented at NYCC? This'll determine whether or not I attend this year.

Well, San Diego Comic-Con gets people from Viz and FUNimation each year, as well as SEGA, Nintendo, Namco-Bandai, and Konami. Anime Expo and SDCC are within a couple of weeks of each other, and these companies reuse the stuff from Anime Expo (if they were there--Nintendo has not made any AX appearances yet, but all of the others have), so I reckon some company representatives just stay in the area in the meantime though.

v1cious wrote:
Message to Crunchyroll: Quit while you're ahead.

I get that your numbers are big right now, but some moderation would be good at this point. Anime is a niche market, and any little problem can send this whole thing crashing down. Just ask ADV what happens when an anime company expands beyond it means. Tread lightly.

It is a risk, but if their intent is to try to get anime closer to mainstream popularity, I'm all for it.

#hiros7039 wrote:
This is going to be an interesting scenario because this falls right on the same weekend as MAGFest's westward expansion, MAGWest, which will host at the Hyatt Regency in... Santa Clara, CA. Whether or not, if they will do joint events not having to fully pay two admissions.

There was one time Anime Expo was set at the same time as the X Games. And both of them were at the Los Angeles Convention Center too. That was a pain. I think it goes without saying that the two events ran completely independently of each other, and you certainly didn't have joint admission. Most of the X Games attendees were unaware that Anime Expo was going on at the same time, and I remember seeing a lot of them being utterly confused at cosplayers. (Nothing mocking or condescending--just that some of these guys were not familiar with the concept of cosplay.)

That's a more extreme case than MAGWest being at the same time as this though. It's also a geek-con, so they'd be far more aware of anime than X Games spectators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5