• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon's Anime Strike Announces Full Summer Lineup, Premiere Dates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Radames125470 wrote:
Their things will be widely ignored by the masses, as has happened with AS titles or massively pirated? Or completely unwatchable cause they're simulcast schedule leaves A LOT to be desired. They haven't won anything, they've just upset a heck of a lot of people. This comes from someone with a Prime account as well.

Sure it looks good on paper, until they realize nobody watched their product legally, cause not everyone has AS nor will support it.

I can assure you that their anime will not be ignored by the masses. They even said in an interview that AS is doing better than their initial projections. They won the season by picking up the most promising anime and best looking anime. Even if no one watches it on AS, the money the invested will still stay on the Japanese side.

Yeah, it's easy to forget that legal views are great, but revenue trumps all. If keeping more viewers meant taking a smaller payment for streaming rights, then the Japanese companies don't really see any advantage in that. They still need to be able to support their productions, and sites like CR trying to cut licensing costs won't help.
Radames125470

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Yeah, it's easy to forget that legal views are great, but revenue trumps all. If keeping more viewers meant taking a smaller payment for streaming rights, then the Japanese companies don't really see any advantage in that. They still need to be able to support their productions, and sites like CR trying to cut licensing costs won't help.

It may be a smaller payment for streaming rights it would pay off in the long run because of the exposure CR gave to their show. By going with AS they've limited their viewership immensely and yes they might get more money up front in the beginning, however they won't be able to maintain that money. Cause of the utter lack of people viewing their product legally. It won't be able to pick up steam or hype.

In fact since AS announced it's schedule many people have already taken off the shows they were most anticipating because AS has some serious issues they need to work on.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
One thing I realized earlier this afternoon: neither my Bluray Player (a Sony) nor any of my family's tablets (we own three Fires) are capable of running either the Crunchyroll or the Funimation video apps, but all of them can easily run the Amazon Video app. For many people who already have Amazon Prime subscriptions, it must be a heck of a lot more convenient to watch anime through Anime Strike than through Crunchyroll, and I wonder how many Re:Creators-level success stories it's going to take for this service to really attract the "eh, why not, it's only 5 dollars more a month" crowd.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
Radames125470 wrote:

It may be a smaller payment for streaming rights it would pay off in the long run because of the exposure CR gave to their show.

If that were the case, then Japanese companies would've let CR and Funimation get the streaming rights for sure instead of Amazon, right, because it would've paid off in the end? But that isn't the case, as you can see right now. The amount made from people streaming seems to be very small and we never get any actual numbers when it comes to this, plus when revenue reports come from Japan yearly, the US isn't one of the biggest sources of income, in fact China is already way bigger and is becoming a pillar that supports the Japanese market from purchasing streaming rights, when people refer to the importance of the International market for anime, they refer to China. If revenue for streaming rights is so great from the US, then how come we never see any sequels for the most popular anime in the West, for shows that never got sequels, despite being incredibly popular in the US and being streaming hits, but weren't popular in Japan(I know making anime is very complicated and getting investors is a also super complicated, but it was just a thought). Also, if the US market and it's streaming revenues were that important then we should've gotten more original shows aimed at a western market, like we used to when Toonami was big enough and the western DVD market was going strong, you know, when stuff like Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy were specifically made for westerners.
Quoque tu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

The amount made from people streaming seems to be very small and we never get any actual numbers when it comes to this, plus when revenue reports come from Japan yearly, the US isn't one of the biggest sources of income, in fact China is already way bigger and is becoming a pillar that supports the Japanese market from purchasing streaming rights, when people refer to the importance of the International market for anime, they refer to China.

I don't know about Funi but CR has stated multiple times they send 50% of their revenue back to the creators (i.e. the production committees, which means that the animators barely earn a small percentage of that, but that's another problem).
About the international market, sure, China is the biggest market outside of Japan, but you can't deny that the US market grew immensely over these last few years. It still plays a big part in sustaining the industry's financial system. You can go over to Sakugablog and check interviews with some directors, and you'll often find them talking about the importance that international streaming plays in their works, and not only from China.
Thorfinn wrote:
If revenue for streaming rights is so great from the US, then how come we never see any sequels for the most popular anime in the West, for shows that never got sequels, despite being incredibly popular in the US and being streaming hits, but weren't popular in Japan(I know making anime is very complicated and getting investors is a also super complicated, but it was just a thought). Also, if the US market and it's streaming revenues were that important then we should've gotten more original shows aimed at a western market, like we used to when Toonami was big enough and the western DVD market was going strong, you know, when stuff like Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy were specifically made for westerners.

There are multiple factors involved in the production of a sequel. Popularity of a series is certainly one of them, but not the only one. More often than not, even shows that are super popular in Japan don't get a sequel. It's all up to the creator and the committee, whether they find it profitable, whether they can adjust time schedules and resources properly, etc...
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:16 am Reply with quote
^Certainly, the western market has been growing as well, but it's far away from the Chinese one. The whole 50% revenue sharing with the Japanese side statement is so vague that I can't really look at it very seriously and unless they release some actual data, for all we know, that 50% might be a very small amount of money when considering the huge overall costs to make an anime.

I know there are a lot of factors that go into making an anime, I was sort of asking a hypothetical question.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
I think some people are forgetting something: western hype for anime doesn't really matter that much. All the Japanese companies care about is how much money they can get for streaming/home media right. This whole Amazon thing is great for them in the short term. The Japanese producers lose litereally nothing from having less people outside Japan watching legally.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
^
This right here, nice and simple.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 am Reply with quote
True so far as the Japanese producers are concerned it's all good, at least in the short term.

Amazon is an American company and I'm one of their Prime customers, this silliness has dampened my enthusiasm for dealing with them substantially.

I know what I do or don't do won't impact them, after all they just signed up to buy Whole Foods Market using approx. $13 Billion of their "Walking Around Money" i.e. Cash on Hand in Corporate Speak. An entity that can do that can likely buy ALL the Japanese Anime studios without really noticing it.

Still, it's Anime and something that we enjoy or are at least supposed to enjoy. Amazon has fouled that up and I don't appreciate it.

Mark Gosdin
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 am Reply with quote
Since I won't be getting an Anime Strike subscription (a.s.s.), I guess I'll watch CR's backlog this summer.

Seriously, Amazon, was marketing absent on naming day?
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty disappointed. I have Prime, but I'm not interested in buying into the double paywall that is Anime Strike. I really wanted to watch Hell Girl season 4. But I knew the chances of this would be high. I heard Funimation was very disappointed with the DVD sales of Hell Girl season 1 and that's why it was Sentai who picked up the license for seasons 2-3. I figured if anyone licensed it this time around it would be Sentai again, and Anime Strike gets the Sentai shows.

I like Hell Girl enough that I'll probably just wait until it comes out on DVD or BluRay and then buy it that way when it's a good price.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote
Hopefully their next move is actually caring for their customers? Subs sucks and shows are never there or take weeks to update. I really wonder where this leaves me as a english dub fan. Probably in the *Hahaha we don't care about you* section.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
If it continues it could turn out to be another Hulu, especially given the higher price of exclusivity. Hulu was previously paying big bucks and grabbing many shows, which bid up the licensing costs, then they suddenly dumped most of their anime because it turns out they were losing money on them. Although knowing Amazon and their investments, it may go on for a while, and who knows they may actually force the market.

Netflix on the other hand is still extremely cautious and very selective about exclusives.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
^

Guess you ignored the part where he said "short term". They really need to change things up if they want this to survive.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
^

Guess you ignored the part where he said "short term". They really need to change things up if they want this to survive.

I didn't ignore the part. Even if it is short term, it is more money going to Japan from Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4