• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest XI Game Heads West in 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I mean, I figured it'd come over, but I still like my confirmations!

The only question is still PS4 or 3DS for me. In Japan, they actually had a special edition with both versions in it, so I'm hoping we can get that over here too (because I am enough of a DQ fanboy to just buy both). I kind of need the 3DS version because then I'd have DQ 4-9 and 11 on handheld, which would make me somehow very happy. But the PS4 footage is just so glorious!
But the main reason I'm debating is that my PS4 died 6 hours into Persona 5 for me (thanks, PS4, I only waited like 9 years for that damn game, only for you to die on me and make me run out and buy the PS3 version just so I could play it right away! No, I do not regret buying the game twice, it was Persona 5) and while I got it back from Sony themselves and it's been working right ever since, I know I'll never be able to fully trust it.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I'll be getting the 3DS version for sure. Just the fact you can control both the 3D top screen and the 2D lower screen at the same time is insane, almost like playing two versions of the game at the same time. I hope they will make that Switch port, would be very nice to play the vast open world version on the go.

But...I kinda wished they named the subtitle "Echoes of an Elusive Era". Kinda liked that repetition they had during the DS era.
nagpo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited about this. While I hope it has a dub as good as 8, if it doesn't I guess that's fine.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
I'm pretty excited about this. While I hope it has a dub as good as 8, if it doesn't I guess that's fine.

Actually, there won't be any voice acting for XI: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/6508.html
nagpo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
nagpo wrote:

Actually, there won't be any voice acting for XI: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/6508.html

the japanese version of 8 didn't have a dub but the english version did. The article doesn't say for sure they won't do it for the western release definitely. But like I said, I'll still play the game. It's just hard to get used to a 2017 console RPG that doesn't have VA.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
the japanese version of 8 didn't have a dub but the english version did. The article doesn't say for sure they won't do it for the western release definitely. But like I said, I'll still play the game. It's just hard to get used to a 2017 console RPG that doesn't have VA.

Bearing in mind they eventually implemented Japanese voices for the 3DS port of Dragon Quest VIII. In any case, giving it a dub will be up to the localization team. It would be an interesting case of history repeating itself if we give Dragon Quest XI dub voices, then Japan does the same thing with a rerelease years later.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised how much life the 3DS has left with the Switch out and NOT backwards compatible .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1