• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Adds Magical Sempai, Grand Blue Dreaming Manga Digitally

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am Reply with quote
Oh heck yeah! One step closer to a physical publication for Grand Blue, I truly adore this manga. Kodansha has been killing it in the digital department at least.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
That is very good news, looks like a very good chance for Grand Blue to finally be published physically here in the US.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
I will never understand Grand Blue, I checked a few chapters and just don't get why r/manga thinks it's the greatest thing ever, the humor is so lazy and juvenile, I guess it's just not my style of comedy.

Interesting that they chose to add Dreaming to the title for the western release.
TheAAA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Call me when Grand Blue gets a physical release. Never been a fan of ebooks.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I will never understand Grand Blue, I checked a few chapters and just don't get why r/manga thinks it's the greatest thing ever, the humor is so lazy and juvenile, I guess it's just not my style of comedy.

Interesting that they chose to add Dreaming to the title for the western release.

I think it's the go to people have to call humor that they don't find funny juvenile or childish as well as lazy. Is humor ever meant to be super serious? Is there such a thing as mature humor? I don't personally think Grand Blue is lazy and I find it to be often times pretty clever. But I guess to each their own.
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
At this point, Kodansha has actually published more new digital-only series than print series this year.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I think it's the go to people have to call humor that they don't find funny juvenile or childish as well as lazy. Is humor ever meant to be super serious? Is there such a thing as mature humor? I don't personally think Grand Blue is lazy and I find it to be often times pretty clever. But I guess to each their own.

Lazy was probably the wrong word. I can understand how people can like that kind of Obnoxious loud guy humor, it's just not something for me at all, I think it get's annoying, this probably stems from my personal dislike of those could of annoying frat types in real life..
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Lazy was probably the wrong word. I can understand how people can like that kind of Obnoxious loud guy humor, it's just not something for me at all, I think it get's annoying, this probably stems from my personal dislike of those could of annoying frat types in real life..

I mean frat types irl bother and annoy me greatly, but for some reason this manga is still a lot of fun for me. I suppose I can understand not enjoying the "loud" type of humor and how it's often very wild and crazy in this manga. That kind of humor normally isn't for me either in all honesty, but this series feels well done and it clicks with me here. Also if you don't mind me asking how many chapters did you try? I think the main thing for me is the character chemistry is a lot of fun and the ways we get to see the friendships grow, plus there's times where the series does have maturity and knows when to handle a situation with care. One of my favorite examples is a particular scene where one of the guys declines an invitation to have sex from one of his very attractive female friends, the reasons why he declines are in my opinion well thought and mature.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
At this point, Kodansha has actually published more new digital-only series than print series this year.

It just feels to me that they gave up on physical releases completely unless they're for big titles like Noragami, Silent Voice, Attack on Titan, etc.
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
It just feels to me that they gave up on physical releases completely unless they're for big titles like Noragami, Silent Voice, Attack on Titan, etc.

It's more like they're cutting back on physical series unless it has an anime or is from an author that already had a hit.(Though there are a few exceptions).

Admittedly, some of the longer titles that they've licensed for digital only-realizes, like some of the sports series or Altair: A Record of Battles, probably don't have enough of a fan base to support them being in print. I just wish that they'd advertise the series that they do have a bit more.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
If I was to check out "Grand Blue", it being by the author of "Baka and Test" is reason enough. That's because that's 1 of the funniest anime I have seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1