• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girls' Last Tour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edl01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Man as much as I liked this episode I couldn't take it seriously for one incredibly dumb reason; because the mechanic was called Ishii. I can't help but relate that name to the Stone Pitbull Tomohiro Ishii of New Japan Pro Wrestling, a large, terrifying bald man in his late 40s who just happens to be one of the best pro wrestlers in the world. I'm sure that it's actually a common name and I'm showing supreme ignorance here by associating it with just one person, but every time I heard it I couldn't stop myself from thinking, "Brainbuster from the top rope!"

It was still a great episode(if not mildly slow), I'm just hoping that next week they aren't running into a Tanahashi or Okada is all I'm saying...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
While the humor came a lot slower this episode, I found Yuuri being left completely hanging on her "and together, we're..." joke to be hilarious.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
^^Yeah, I quite liked that scene too.

Episode 6 was quite lovely and poignant. This show continues to be in my top 3 of the season and I wonder what will happen next for our main characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I had to replay the scene again when Chito was introducing them and Yuuri started a "and together, we're" that got completely ignored.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I figure this would be a good time to point out that - for all of the moe-oriented "it's too pandering and cutesy" criticisms people have been leveling against the series elsewhere - when Ishii was introduced in the manga, it took me at least half a chapter to realize that she was supposed to be a woman. Laughing
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate

If folks are complaining about how the author draws the girls,wonder what they'll say about the next character introduced spoiler[ in episode eight I think,though episode six was three chapters,could be episode nine.Still figure we'll end with "not a cat"(ch 24/25) ]
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the potato farm made me even more curious why the potato shape is the way it is.
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Based on the comments here and in the series discussion thread I would really like to watch this show. But the word "Last" in the title concerns me. Can someone tell me if something bad happens to the girls? Spoiler tags would probably be needed in the answer. I like shows about cute girls doing cute things (CGDCT). I really dislike show where cute girls die horribly or unexpectedly (CGDHOU).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
dvls_advocate wrote:
Based on the comments here and in the series discussion thread I would really like to watch this show. But the word "Last" in the title concerns me. Can someone tell me if something bad happens to the girls? Spoiler tags would probably be needed in the answer. I like shows about cute girls doing cute things (CGDCT). I really dislike show where cute girls die horribly or unexpectedly (CGDHOU).
The Japanese title contains a pun on two words pronounced shūmatsu, 週末 (weekend) and 終末 (the end [of times/of the world/etc.]). Shōjo Shūmatsu Ryokō sounds like it means "girls' weekend trip", but the kanji spell out "girls' trip of the end", referring to the show's post-apocalyptic setting (the full Japanese title of another show from this year, WorldEnd/SukaSuka, also used the same pun). There isn't a good way to translate the title into English without losing the pun, but as you can see the original title is a bit tongue in cheek and doesn't really have the same implications of imminent death (since "The End" it's referring to is an event that must have already occurred prior to the start of the show).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dvls_advocate wrote:

Rest assured Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is indeed of the iyashikei trope slice of life.
At no point does the author kill off her daughters.So you can relax and ponder life, as these two stoner girls muddle on through hopelessness with joy and a lot of hope in their hearts.

Really hard to understand what would be a spoiler for Girls' Last Tour....the manga is officially released online over on the official manga site -
http://www.kurage-bunch.com/manga/shojoshumatsu/
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
^^ A spoiler would be anything in the manga that hasn't been adapted to anime form yet.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
The Japanese title contains a pun on two words pronounced shūmatsu, 週末 (weekend) and 終末 (the end [of times/of the world/etc.]).

Ah, that explains the translation of the specials like this one as "Girls' Weekend Lesson."
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
dvls_advocate wrote:
The Japanese title contains a pun on two words pronounced shūmatsu, 週末 (weekend) and 終末 (the end [of times/of the world/etc.]). Shōjo Shūmatsu Ryokō sounds like it means "girls' weekend trip", but the kanji spell out "girls' trip of the end", referring to the show's post-apocalyptic setting (the full Japanese title of another show from this year, WorldEnd/SukaSuka, also used the same pun). There isn't a good way to translate the title into English without losing the pun, but as you can see the original title is a bit tongue in cheek and doesn't really have the same implications of imminent death (since "The End" it's referring to is an event that must have already occurred prior to the start of the show).

Thanks for that explanation.

@Nordhmmer - Not everyone reads manga, so those who don't won't know what happens to the girls.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuu remains nonplussed

I don't think that word means what you think it means. Smile "Nonchalant" maybe? "Unfazed"?

I'm not sure how well those little biscuits would hold together with just potato flour, too much sugar, and salt. Then again, these seem to be genetically engineered potatoes, so who knows what they're capable of? Smile And just being as hungry as these girls often seem to be would make them tasty in any case.

Even though there's nearly no one around, I find that I keep worrying about their Kettenkrad being stolen whenever they go off and leave it for long periods.

I'm glad Yuu didn't run Chito through the grinder. And that they never employed their "falling the opposite way" plan, or they'd be hanging there still...
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
While the humor came a lot slower this episode, I found Yuuri being left completely hanging on her "and together, we're..." joke to be hilarious.

I had to pause the show cause I was laughing so hard at that. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10