• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Game Downloaded 15 Million Times in 1st 6 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Sadly the game's shortcomings are extremely obvious. They try super hard to push you to buying the Leaf by making "material" drops utter garbage, especially later when you need 90+ of one thing and the villagers only give 1-2 each. Plus the length of time it takes to do things taking so long also incentives paying real money. Bad spawn rates on certain bugs/fish also incentives paying real money. Basically in every corner, it's "Pay real money or wait 9-48 hours to build this" or "pay real money or spend the next hour trying to get the fish/bug you want with our crappy spawn rates".
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Sadly the game's shortcomings are extremely obvious. They try super hard to push you to buying the Leaf by making "material" drops utter garbage, especially later when you need 90+ of one thing and the villagers only give 1-2 each. Plus the length of time it takes to do things taking so long also incentives paying real money. Bad spawn rates on certain bugs/fish also incentives paying real money. Basically in every corner, it's "Pay real money or wait 9-48 hours to build this" or "pay real money or spend the next hour trying to get the fish/bug you want with our crappy spawn rates".

But Animal Crossing has always been a game of patience, so those don't seem anywhere near as bad as games where they lock a bunch of limited exclusive game-changing content behind paywalls.
theConundrumm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quote
i’ll confess to being in that number, but 15 minutes in i was reaching for my 3ds and haven’t opened Pocket Camp up since...

Rev... “a game of patience”..? one thing that keeps me coming back to New Leaf is that is not demanding, and is, in all honesty, one of the truly relaxing zen games around
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
theConundrumm wrote:
Rev... “a game of patience”..? one thing that keeps me coming back to New Leaf is that is not demanding, and is, in all honesty, one of the truly relaxing zen games around

I'm not fully defending the practices this game has employed or the differences from regular Animal Crossing, but it is undeniable that the series has always been all about waiting.

Have you forgotten how horribly slow New Leaf was in the beginning? I remember how long I waited to get that game in my hands (it was announced with the 3DS, but they delayed it for several quarters) only to start up the game and get to play for a few minutes before I'm told that only tomorrow can I really continue.

New Leaf was actually even worse than past ACs in that regard, but the series has always been about waiting to a significant extent.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Trust me, Pocket Camp does this way, way better than a lot of other popular mobile games. It feels extreme if you're used to playing games that don't make you wait, but this is actually downright subtle compared to some of the stuff that comes out of Gameloft or King. 48 hours feels like a flash compared to the, say, 4 years (estimated) for required content those developers have the audacity to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1