• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Shortlisted for Academy's Visual Effects Category

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
That and Pearl Harbor sucked.

And I miss you.

(I am sad that no one else got the reference before me. Classic movie.)

Good for this movie to be nominated for something. I felt that the whitewashing issue was harped on too much, or to the extent that it was overblown in comparison to Matt Damon being in The Great Wall movie.

Matt. Day-mon.

(@Beatdigga - Last line was totally directed at you.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The whitewashing controversy of this film likely was a moderate to significant factor in it becoming a domestic box office flop. I would it being a flop might be a reason it got shortlisted for this Academy Awards category.

I could be wrong, but I would say it was an insignificant factor. There are plenty of reasons, for even a good movie to flop. Outside of the Internet and Hollywood news, I never hear talk of people not going to watch a movie for social activist reasons. Mainly all people care about is if it is entertaining or good. Sure some people would not watch it, because of their principles, but I wouldn't think that number would have any significant effect on the success of a movie.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I could be wrong, but I would say it was an insignificant factor.

Yeah even among the people who were familiar with the IP that most definitely was not a deciding factor in why they stayed away from the film. By this same token that's why The Last Airbender wasn't big with most audiences eventhough the general issue with the movie was that it wasn't directed or written very well.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
In my personal opinion, I think a live-action movie based on a Manga earning $40 Million in just the U.S. alone is pretty damn impressive even if most wouldn't be familiar with the actual Manga and Anime movie it's based on. But the people behind it had to have realized that expensive actors and a heavily Special Effects kind of movie, it just has a lot to recover on the costs.

It also did really well on Blu-ray and DVD.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I guess what I’m trying to say is this award is the mother of all consolation prizes.

Awards that focus on categories other than acting, writing and directing are usually used to recognize aspects of a film that don't impact its storytelling quality much. A movie can have stunning, innovative special effects that deserves recognition despite its film's flaws. That said, sometimes popular movies get nominated for *everything* despite not being deserving in particular categories. La La Land had some great musical numbers, but did it deserve its Best Costume nomination? Probably not.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

And I miss you.

(I am sad that no one else got the reference before me. Classic movie.)

Good for this movie to be nominated for something. I felt that the whitewashing issue was harped on too much, or to the extent that it was overblown in comparison to Matt Damon being in The Great Wall movie.

Matt. Day-mon.

(@Beatdigga - Last line was totally directed at you.)

From what I read about Ghost in the Shell's plot spoiler[Scarlett Johanssen literally plays the "ghost" of a Japanese woman put inside a white body against her will. ] I don't blame anyone for being particularly offended by that plot point.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Moon: It’s also pretty successful, when you consider there was only one big name with international recognition for a sci-fi tentpole film. You have to have st least three names for Passengers, to achieve the same results. That, or be Arnie in another Terminator movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2