• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
we love lain wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
In some shows, if a character was a nice, friendly guy and then, one episode, he suddenly turns into the worst possible human being for no apparent reason, you'd think "that's an issue." Sudden personality shifts in some shows seems basically comparable to sudden boob size shifts in this show, considering how much such things are front and center in their respective shows.

...........I don't think that comparison quite works here.....like at all. So I ask again, why is it such an issue that Asia has gone up a cup size or two in her redesign. It doesn't break her character model so why is it a problem? Her breasts are still comparatively smaller compared to the other girls which maintains that noticeable contrast. I guess this is just such a non-issue to me

the real problem however isn't that. is that how will they fit the narrative on irina being included in the harem (cause you pretty much HAVE TO INCLUDE the childhood friend in any harem series) without her becoming a fallen angel as a result of obvious jealousy and insecurity. i mean there have to be some negative thoughts of regret in her head on if she had never moved , he probably wouldn't have become an uber pervert let alone become one of rias' devils!

Quote:
Beyond those factors, the episode is pretty decent. Issei participating in a “hero show” for the kids in his Oppai Dragon persona is rather amusing, as is the revelation that Ddraig might need counseling to deal with Issei's perversions; I'm curious to see where that goes.

three words for that! NOT GONNA BE PRETTY!!!!!!

i mean if Ddraig went bonkers after he finds out he's being called the breast dragon emperor, this would more or less give him an uber massive case of "batty in the belfry" syndrome! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm no expert on cup sizes, but compare side-by-side a fan service screenshot of Asia in Born and Asia in the most recent episode of Hero and it's plain that she's increased more than just "one or two cup sizes." The only reason that the difference isn't more glaring is that most of the other girls are still bigger and have gone up a bit themselves.

Hahaha blame Uno Makoto for that one, I'm almost surprised he didn't throw a d*** on one of them for good measure.
Key wrote:
Now, if you're enamored with huge breasts anyway then you probably won't see what the big deal is about this and may even welcome the change. For those (like me) who like or even prefer more modestly-sized chests, though, it's a disappointment. Besides, I did think I made it clear that that issue was more a personal gripe than anything wrong with the show.

It has been a comment/issue that you've had at the forefront of at least 3, maybe even 4 of your reviews for this series (I even commented on it back on episode 4) so I find the fixation kinda funny, but hey I ain't judging. If it were me I'd probably go on about how Xenovia's green hair flick disappears every other shot she's in or something.

I'm more or less used to the new character designs at this point, and guys like Sairaorg even look better than ever, but Rias, Kiba and Xenovia looked so much better with their old designs.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
It has been a comment/issue that you've had at the forefront of at least 3, maybe even 4 of your reviews for this series (I even commented on it back on episode 4) so I find the fixation kinda funny, but hey I ain't judging.

Yeah, I realized even as I was writing this one that I've been harping on that point too much. Hence I intend to lay off bringing it up again unless the series does something really egregious on that front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
https://imgur.com/a/d1bfuYt

Translated Interview with Yoko Hikasa and Yuki Kaji about HerO if anyone's interested.

Edit: Source: https://cho-animedia.jp/special/47731/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8,

I thought Issei was aware of the issue he and Rias had been having and that he just couldn't get over it subconsciously or something, but apparently he actually didn't know? I thought they sort of talked about it last season. And it's definitely been brought up enough this season to be obvious.

This sort of comes off as the typical "dense harem protagonist" not understanding the feelings of the girls around him even though everyone else already does. And while this is a harem series one reason I've enjoyed HDxD is because it's managed to avoid most stereotypical pitfalls of the genre. It feels like this piece of drama is getting dragged out unnecessarily.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 8,

I thought Issei was aware of the issue he and Rias had been having and that he just couldn't get over it subconsciously or something, but apparently he actually didn't know? I thought they sort of talked about it last season. And it's definitely been brought up enough this season to be obvious.

This sort of comes off as the typical "dense harem protagonist" not understanding the feelings of the girls around him even though everyone else already does. And while this is a harem series one reason I've enjoyed HDxD is because it's managed to avoid most stereotypical pitfalls of the genre. It feels like this piece of drama is getting dragged out unnecessarily.

Fun fact: in the light novels issei's not like this. They skipped the reason he's like this. Heck, in the light novels he knows she wants to be called Rias by him.

It might have not been by choice tho. Ishibumi tweeted that the production is kinda ehh right now due to scheduling and other projects and that the "true sauna scene" will be on the BD's.

But yeah, hope they tell why issei's like this on the next episode, regardless of how stupid it'll be by then....Jesus, they really did him dirty. :/ I'm seeing "he's a dense protagonist" comments left and right now... Good going passione.

Hints on what's going on: spoiler[Issei was turned into a devil 4 months ago + WHY was he turned into a devil + Ria's wants some Commitment + 4 letter mental illnes commonly found in war vets.]
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
@ AksaraKishou - Thanks for the information again and if I may be allowed to say this, your input has been very appreciated in this forum. I wonder what other projects studio Passione could currently be involved with because the only show that I’m aware of them working on besides this is Z/X code reunion and that’s not even set to air until Fall of 2019.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, my reaction towards the sauna section in Episode 8 can best be summed up like the following image:

But by the end of the episode, towards Issei, I was just like

I’m ultimately curious as to how the rest of the season will handle this situation. Hoping for the best as always on my end.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:55 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
@ AksaraKishou - Thanks for the information again and if I may be allowed to say this, your input has been very appreciated in this forum. I wonder what other projects studio Passione could currently be involved with because the only show that I’m aware of them working on besides this is Z/X code reunion and that’s not even set to air until Fall of 2019.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, my reaction towards the sauna section in Episode 8 can best be summed up like the following image:

But by the end of the episode, towards Issei, I was just like

I’m ultimately curious as to how the rest of the season will handle this situation. Hoping for the best as always on my end.

Ishibumi also tweeted:
Quote:
レイヴェルママ。おっぱいデカいです。 #haremking

In English this can be tl'd in 4 simple words: "Ravel Mama. Big Breasts" Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
btw, I'm curious, in the novels do they flesh out Ravel a bit more? She's shown up briefly in the past but she's probably had maybe 5 minutes of screen time in all the previous series up until now then she just shows up as a transfer student and sort of unofficially joins their team (or potentially joins since she's still on her mother's team for now). Aside from being a rich ojou-sama and being part of the phoenix family we don't really know anything about her, at least in the anime.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
btw, I'm curious, in the novels do they flesh out Ravel a bit more? She's shown up briefly in the past but she's probably had maybe 5 minutes of screen time in all the previous series up until now then she just shows up as a transfer student and sort of unofficially joins their team (or potentially joins since she's still on her mother's team for now). Aside from being a rich ojou-sama and being part of the phoenix family we don't really know anything about her, at least in the anime.

A little bit, but nothing of significance was missed. We pretty much know who Ravel is, a rich Ojou that fell in love with Issei after he beat up Riser. Over time she had to move into position politically since she's not a fighter like the other women that are with Issei. Her mother provided the means to finally join Issei's team and the rest will be told in future episodes.
ChaseM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
The information about Ravel is current with where the anime is in the volumes its covering. More information about her and her involvement with Issei and the group is in later volumes that won't be seen unless there are future seasons produced. spoiler[She serves as his secretary/assistant and becomes important in Issei's team as his strategist once he gets promoted.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
ChaseM wrote:
The information about Ravel is current with where the anime is in the volumes its covering. More information about her and her involvement with Issei and the group is in later volumes that won't be seen unless there are future seasons produced. spoiler[She serves as his secretary/assistant and becomes important in Issei's team as his strategist once he gets promoted.]

that is if he doesnt turn her away too. i have a sneaky feeling that their turning him more and more like the typical oblivious harem MC instead of the self aware pervert that made the series popular in the first place. and with shinmai mao no testament pretty much becoming an hentai light novel with its recent volumes, dxd will have to keep its MC's personality the way it was back in season one or risk alienating its fanbase by turning issei into a carbon copy of other harem MC's , or best case scenario,make him similar to negi springfield and his grandson tota, but the worse scenario would be to pull a to love ru or zero no tsukaima and have him as those MC's!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChaseM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
that is if he doesnt turn her away too. i have a sneaky feeling that their turning him more and more like the typical oblivious harem MC instead of the self aware pervert that made the series popular in the first place. and with shinmai mao no testament pretty much becoming an hentai light novel with its recent volumes, dxd will have to keep its MC's personality the way it was back in season one or risk alienating its fanbase by turning issei into a carbon copy of other harem MC's , or best case scenario,make him similar to negi springfield and his grandson tota, but the worse scenario would be to pull a to love ru or zero no tsukaima and have him as those MC's!

Be forewarned that the spoiler contains some major spoilers for the later volumes of the LN series, so read at your own discretion.

spoiler[The problem of Issei's denseness will be corrected shortly. The girls, minus Rias realize that he is still being affected by being killed on his very first date and do some therapy which helps out.
As of the latest fan translated light novel, volume 24, which I just finished reading, Issei is currently engaged to Rias, Akeno, Asia, Xenovia, Irina, Koneko(Shirone), and Kuroka (Koneko's sister). I have a suspicion that Rosswiesse will soon be joining the list as volume 25 is focusing on her, as well as Ravel at some point.
Also, the ecchi is still at the same levels as seen in the earlier volumes and anime, it has not gone the way of Shinmai Mao no Testament.]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9,

One thing I will agree with Issei on is girls/women are impossible to understand when they drop hints, because the same hint can mean completely different things. One time I was on the couch watching TV and my girlfriend at the time sat down and snuggled up against me, I thought she might want to get intimate so I started doing the same on my end but she said she was just cold and wanted to get warm so I stopped and that was it. Like a week later almost the exact same thing happens, I was on the couch watching a movie, she sits down and snuggles up, I figured she was cold again and just kept on watching. After like 30 minutes she asked why I wasn't in the mood for making out and I was like "whaaaat? I thought that was the 'I'm cold and just want to get warm snuggle', what's the difference between that and the 'I wan't to make out' snuggle?"

That said, Rias getting naked and wanting to have sex is a pretty damn loud hint at a desire for romance, but still, just saying she loves Issei and asking if he loves her would have solved this whole issue a while ago.

I do think the rules for this new game are interesting, but what happens if all of sairaorg's team is defeated except him but they never roll a 12 on the dice? Do they just make the next match an automatic 12 so he can fight?

Quote:
And did I miss something about Rossweisse formally becoming Rias's second Rook, or am I just forgetting something?

She became a rook last season, she got left behind by Odin and sort of just quit her job and joined Rias, it was done pretty quickly.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And did I miss something about Rossweisse formally becoming Rias's second Rook, or am I just forgetting something?

Yeah, you're forgetting Born' s ending xD.

But since episode 0 eliminates the last of Born's, it would have been good if they had put the scene again to avoid confusion. Although in the first episode it is somehow implicit when Rias says "I must report that my family is complete" and they travel with Ross to the underworld.

Quote:
He also asks Issei to look out for Ravel, so he's taking his loss better than I would have expected.

I don't know if you've watched the last OVA but in it they end up on "good terms".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10