• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
That was...superlatives fail me. Shocked

I'm glad that All Might gets to retire rather than being KIA, which is what I've been fearing for more than a season.

When All for One takes a Quirk, does he steal it and leave the person Quirkless or just copy it?

@ Gasero: I'm probably wrong, but my understanding was that All Might's Quirk doesn't have a time limit per se, but rather that after he was so grievously damaged in that earlier battle, One for All really started taking a toll on him every time he used it. If he hadn't been injured then, he'd still be going strong...I think. Or maybe it does eat away at you over time, but it's a long time if you're otherwise sound. Likewise All for One has turned its owner into Darth Vader.
SandyBoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

When All for One takes a Quirk, does he steal it and leave the person Quirkless or just copy it?

When AFO steals a quirk from someone, that particular person becomes quirkless.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
I expected this episode would be something special, but wow. I won't deny that by the end, I needed a tissue.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
USA! USA! Very Happy
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I demand changing the last episode rating to, Plus Ultra!!!
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
I demand changing the last episode rating to, Plus Ultra!!!

Seconded! Or at least something more than "A+" that doesn't look like a joke. This episode is a staggering achievement, a paean to the triumph of good over evil and the ability of human beings who have ideals to protect to accomplish unbelievable things.

Here's the weird thing, though: those values are wrong—at best a fantasy, and at worst so misguided as to spawn monsters. The image of the crowd raising its fists and chanting All Might's name is bone-chilling. In that moment, Toshinori Yagi the man has become All Might the Ideal, a god who commands the absolute loyalty of his perfervid fans. Triumph of the Will, a similarly effective and spectacular appeal to to the passions of righteousness, springs to mind. When humans become symbols, societies die.

Of course, in our story, All Might is genuinely good, and his opponent is genuinely evil. If it's human nature to idolize those who impassion us, an idolatrous view of All Might is the best possible outcome—his audience is inspired to help those in need and to prevent abuse wherever it's found. The real-world viewer is similarly inspired, which is one of many reasons it's a great episode of anime. The problem comes when we try to apply that inspiration to our own lives:

How many people do you know who are genuinely evil? Not small-minded, or arrogant, or bullying, or even racist or sexist, but actually evil? Do you think that you yourself are good (how do you know)? I'll wager most people know a few real bad apples, and most people will say that they try to be good, but almost no one would ascribe absolute good or evil to anyone in their social circle. Even when we try to combat evil acts, we find it's not as clear-cut or productive as we might think; by definition we're treating the symptoms and not the disease. The ideology we've learned from our media quickly slips away when we find it doesn't fit our reality... unless it's constantly reinforced by our social situation. This reinforcement could come from a benign source (a group of like-minded friends, a church or mosque, a political action group) or a very dangerous source (a group of like-minded friends who agree about the Jews, a different sort of church or mosque, another type of political action group). Ultimately the belief in the triumph of Good over Evil, and in the puissance of those with values to protect, leads either to complete disillusionment or to (as in the episode) the relinquishment of one's critical facilities in the service of a greater cause.

Still I wonder why stories like this—stories like The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or Harry Potter or any of the other pop culture juggernauts that I personally love—remain so intensely potent. For all my jaundiced foreknowledge that, once the episode ends, my passion will fade, in the moment of the UNITED STATES OF... SMASH!!! I find myself just as transported and just as teary-eyed as everyone else on this board. Is it my subconscious desire for a world where morality does come in black and white? A purely visceral response to a masterfully-crafted episode? An instinct to give up my thought and revel in the chemical rush of a crowd mentality? None of those answers seem remotely adequate. In the end, all I can do is give episode 49 of Boku no Hero Academia my highest praise, and mull its dangerous lessons in my own time and my own way. I hope you all do the same.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
So, random question: does anyone else feel like the subtitles for MHA have felt a little bit... off lately? I'm not a native speaker, so maybe it's just my imagination, but for the past few weeks it seems to me that the subs for these episodes were rushed or something. So many translation choices that I don't get or things that just don't really sound natural in English.

But again, it might very well be my imagination.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I feel like they should have dedicated a bit more time to All for One's scene at the end. They cut how heavily surveiled he is and his line "you're next" mirroring All Might's didn't much impact. Neutral

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
So, random question: does anyone else feel like the subtitles for MHA have felt a little bit... off lately?

Do you have any examples in mind? Nothing has really stuck out to me, but I may have just been oblivious.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Instead of locking him up, most likely to just escape again, why not execute All For One? With All Might now out of power, they don't have anyone to stop him if he gets out, and they know he has a dedicated group who will stop at nothing to free him. He himself may even be able to break out given how strong he is.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Instead of locking him up, most likely to just escape again, why not execute All For One? With All Might now out of power, they don't have anyone to stop him if he gets out, and they know he has a dedicated group who will stop at nothing to free him. He himself may even be able to break out given how strong he is.

Well since MHA is more or less our modern world with superpowers in it, why would the justice system work any differently. Would Japan give the death penalty?

Also the man can't live without a life support system. Trying to escape would just be suicide. Pretty sure a prison made for people with quirks must be equipped accordingly.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

The same reason the Joker hasn't gotten the death penalty.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Also the man can't live without a life support system. Trying to escape would just be suicide. Pretty sure a prison made for people with quirks must be equipped accordingly.
That's a goo point, thanks
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
I feel like they should have dedicated a bit more time to All for One's scene at the end. They cut how heavily survived he is and his line "you're next" mirroring All Might's didn't much impact. Neutral

Yea I feel like they really squandered that scene.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Well since MHA is more or less our modern world with superpowers in it, why would the justice system work any differently. Would Japan give the death penalty?

I think japan still has the deathpenalty, tho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 81