• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any American animators out there?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatmandoubblescoop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
i plan on going to college to study animation and game design i'm mostly interested in 2-d animation. what i was wondering was are the any animation studios in America that rely use 2-d animators any more.
i originally wanted to go to cartoon network to pitch an idea but they mostly show comedy shows thats from there own studio. and everyone else is importing action shows(anime) any ideas
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Film Roman, who animate The Simpsons and King of the Hill are still in the business, and Disney is about to start making hand drawn features again. I'm not an animator, and can never hope to be one (because I can't draw at all), but those are the two best examples, if you want to avoid working on Family Guy or Spongebob Squarepants.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
Cloe would probably know a lot on the subject, as she herself is an animator. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
fatmandoubblescoop wrote:
i plan on going to college to study animation and game design i'm mostly interested in 2-d animation. what i was wondering was are the any animation studios in America that rely use 2-d animators any more.

Sure there are. Plenty of studios out here in LA (such as Renegade, Titmouse, etc) employ 2D animators, and there's a very healthy independent animation scene in both the States and Europe. I can't speak for every major city in the country, but I know there are at least 2 studios in Minneapolis (where I'm from) that specialize in 2D animation and I'm willing to bet a solid 2D animator will be able to find work in almost any major city. Especially in NY, Chicago, Portland and, of course, Los Angeles. If you want to study 2D animation, I say go for it! It's a wonderful medium and I've loved every second I've spent animating during the last 5 years. By the time you're finished with college, I think 2D will be on its way back (Pixar and Disney are both experiencing a revival in traditional animation, as Xenofan 29A mentioned) and in the meantime, work hard and get as many internships as possible while you're still in school.

fatmandoubblescoop wrote:
i originally wanted to go to cartoon network to pitch an idea but they mostly show comedy shows thats from there own studio. and everyone else is importing action shows(anime) any ideas

The most important aspect of making a pitch is organization and energy. If you decide to pursue directing animation and you're ambitious and assertive, chances are you'll be making many, many pitches throughout your career. Polish your idea as much as possible and meet up with as many studios as possible. And don't be afraid of failure. Take each pitch as a learning experience to help you out later. Remember that most animators/directors/producers/writers don't get their own series until they have years of industry experience under their belts. My humble dealings with studio pitches is currently limited to Nickelodeon and Frederator, but even in those instances I feel like I learned so much, and I know what I need to work on for future pitches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote
A lot of people don't consider him to be an animator, but check out John K's site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1