• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Complex and Lovely

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
You may think that I haven't run out, but I know my own reading habits and history, and after running that feature 24/25/26 times I have just about gone through my own personal picks of the best and worst of all time. Think about it, that's pretty much a Top 10 list, a Bottom 10 list and spare change. Sounds about right.

There is plenty of absolute rubbish that you haven't covered but after you get the top and bottom few out of the way (as you said you've done) then it starts to become a persona. You'd essentially become the manga and text version of the Angry Video Game Nerd videos. Whether that would be cool or not is up to you.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a bit presumptuous (actually, a LOT) to tell someone that they haven't finished doing a best/worst when they say they have. You don't know what said person has read and just because you think something is great/horrible doesn't mean everyone is going to agree (which of course is the main crux of reviews).

Anyway, to actually talk about the series in the column rather than the content, Deja Vu is now on my way too long to-read list, because it sounds interesting. Being one-shot is an extra bonus.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, why so serious?

I was just riffing on that there is a lot more horrible manga out there.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

I was joking about the new system. Razz

There will still be plenty of D's, low C's and the occasional F to be handed out. (EXCEPT FOR SHONEN JUMP TITLES. BECAUSE ALL SJ FANBOYS AND GIRLS KNOW THAT ANYTHING TO COME OUT OF THE PAGES OF SJ IS AN AUTOMATIC A AND ONLY MORON CRITIC HAT0RS GIVE IT ANYTHING LESS)

Good to hear Smile At least now you know you have someone who appreciates the negative reviews (and I even generally like Shounen Jump titles, too--but I love hearing when one is worse than the others so I can cross it off the list).
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Ah, questions! Don't worry, I have answers. Laughing

mangaka-chan wrote:
Since you mentioned world manga, that means we can submit a review on a series from other country (i.e. not Japan) that's not licensed in the US, right?

Yes, go for it, introduce me to some awesome manga-style art from Italy or Malaysia or something.

Great! There are at least two Chinese series I'd like to review. Now, I just need to find a picture of the cover... Rolling Eyes
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...while there are plenty of fine titles that I'd love to give positive write-ups, the temptation to review something like Wounded Man (so god awful is awesome) is great. Choices choices...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the take on Sundome. I was quite disappointed. The premise was solid, but it went nowhere and the art was passable at best, but usually below that line. The character designs weren't very good to begin with but there were times where they were just lazily done or they would go into that bizarro deformed mode. And I agree about the guys too; nothing worth remembering about any of them and the girls are just remembered as "Big Boobed Bimbo" and "The Weirdo".
Selkie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
May we review an older series that has been completed that still excites us or we are currently collecting?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
Great! There are at least two Chinese series I'd like to review. Now, I just need to find a picture of the cover... Rolling Eyes

Lemme guess: one of them is historical, based on the famous Three Kingdoms era.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Selkie wrote:
May we review an older series that has been completed that still excites us or we are currently collecting?

Yes, series from any time period are welcome.
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
lijakaca wrote:
In my not-humble opinion, it would make the reviews more clear to get rid of the Evidence For and Evidence Against sections, and just have one general Evidence section. Right now the Evidence For and Against is the same length no matter what the grade, and having them given equal weight makes it seem weird when a title is given a very good or very bad grade. When I read 4 sentences praising Love*Com, and then 4 disparaging it in equal strength, I can't tell what the overall impression is. Ever since I started reading the column I've found this strange.

I've always liked it. Sure, playing devil's advocate can be contrived, but it makes the reviews entertaining as well as giving more space for people to make up their own minds.

Anyway, the Final Verdict makes it pretty clear what Carlo really thinks. Smile
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
mangaka-chan wrote:

Lemme guess: one of them is historical, based on the famous Three Kingdoms era.

LOL, don't you mean both?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I was always a fan of the Buy It/Borrow It rating system. Wink

p.s. Bamboo take my columnist title off you slacker. <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2