• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cells at Work! BR

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
meiam wrote:
I really don't think the show can be considered a success as far educational point of view is concerned. Most of the depiction involved are only accurate on the most superficial of elements and the major aspect of the show are flat out wrong. For example one of the major defining characteristic, the only one really, for red blood cell (the main character) is that she's constantly lost... this makes no sense whatsoever since red blood cell have no destination, they just circulate at random, delivering oxygen when they pass upon area where it's needed.

The popular theory is that she has the sickle cell defect.

That... doesn't explain a single thing. Sickle cell don't get "lost" anymore than normal cell. If they wanted to showcase sickle cell they'd need the red blood cell to constantly get stuck in corridor/passage, have incredibly high cell death (which wouldn't work for a main character) and never enough red blood cell for the amount of oxygen that need transporting. None of these aspect are reflected. Well maybe that was the attempt, would be in line with the rest of the show.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Also sickle cell anemia is very rare in Japan. https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=6282897#post6282897

That's because sickle cell is mainly from ethnic African ancestry. It evolved as a defense against malaria, prevalent in Africa history. So it's very rare in other populations.

(Unless she's a little bit black)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I really don't think the show can be considered a success as far educational point of view is concerned. Most of the depiction involved are only accurate on the most superficial of elements and the major aspect of the show are flat out wrong. For example one of the major defining characteristic, the only one really, for red blood cell (the main character) is that she's constantly lost... this makes no sense whatsoever since red blood cell have no destination, they just circulate at random, delivering oxygen when they pass upon area where it's needed. A particular egregious case is (light spoiler) spoiler[cancer depiction, shown as an oppressed minority when it's anything but that]. In the end the only educational aspect is that the show throw fancy scientific name around, but I'd wager less than 2% of people who watched the show could even name most of the foreign pathogen and the body defence mechanism that feature prominently in the show after watching it.
The spoiler[cancer] subplot was kind of awkwardly presented but I thought the Red Blood Cell getting lost was just the trait of the MC and the other Red Blood Cells were generally more responsible characters than her because she was like the kohai in the show who's learning the ropes of her job. This show is basically like the Magic School Bus of anime where it's a fine enough introduction to the subject for a younger audience but it's still a cartoon and not a science documentary that's going to suspend your disbelief some for the entertainment part of edutainment.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Can someone post the bloopers for this anime on YouTube or something? I love watching anime bloopers! And the show itself is a fun ride!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2