• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love After World Domination

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I loved Fudo and Papa bonding over appreciating the artistry of defeat. It reminded me of some of the videos I've seen on extreme dogeza, though his art is more geared toward exiting the fight than begging for mercy. Still, the athleticism and skillsets are similar. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb4lUOviCXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCBwXXDqI7g
Ryw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Mudo better watch out when Urami joins Gekko.
They just need to find and recruit Urami's Fudo to Gelato before then.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
Desumi's old man is the best jobber in all of tokusatsu. He really gets the art of selling.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It was incredible I read the latest e-volume as it dropped last week and BOOM, the Kokutei Moon chapter was animated. I don't think I've ever watched a brand new anime episode and read the just translated manga chapter so closely before. It was so well adapted, too. I will say at times I enjoy the manga a tad more then the anime, the facial expressions come across more dramatically and humorously in the manga and, at times, have me laughing out loud more. Yet, when it comes to the lovey dovey scenes, the anime is so much better and I chalk it to the voice actors and the music, so well done. I'm REALLY looking forward to the adaptation of the end chapters of volume four, it should be fantastic!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty fun (and cute) school festival episode.

As if we needed more indication that Hayato is trash, he abuses his transformation for fangirls and treats Fudo terribly. Luckily Kiki is there to exact revenge.

I love how Steel Princess was able to pass her boyfriend at the school as bear cosplay...only to end up being fooled by actual bear cosplay.

Maid Desumi and Hojo were great.

So Blood Princess is the school nurse, voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, and is in love with Bosslar (they really like pairing Sawashiro and Sugita together)? Wow. I think that means only one Princess is left to introduce.

When in doubt, go as yourselves and pass it off as cosplay! I wasn't expecting Desumi to have her own transformation device and sequence though. I wonder if the other Princesses have them.

I love how the female Kaijin commanders gossip like actual female co-workers in a powder room. Too bad they don't see any of their fellow Kaijin as dateable.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The show right now is a solid 9.9/10

I just need 2 very small things to happen.
1 - Beast princess needs to tame cola f-boy
2 - Either Fudo needs to go rogue and join Gekko or Desumi needs to turn good by the end. I need a real sealing of the couple.

Last edited by TexZero on Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting them to dress up in a full body costume, so seeing the two of them cosplaying as themselves was really great and a nice balance of risk and reward.
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I feel like we may have learned something about the mangaka's *ahem* preferences in this episode...
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I feel like they could have skipped these two chapters (they felt weak in the manga, too), and done a big two part finally instead.

spoiler[Desumi's jealousy over the wedding advertisement, Fudo's attempt to fix it once the issue is pointed out, and Gecko unleashing a giant uncontrollable monster all coming together at once would have been a perfect climax. With a cliffhanger in the first part, leading to the ultimate attack teased in the opener. Instead, I find myself worried that the last episode is going to feel very rushed, or cut something.][/spoiler]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they were able to introduce and establish the last Princess before the series ended. She's basically a stoic, socially awkward, master of disguise and saboteur...meaning Drone Rabbit has better success against Gelato Five than Culverin Bear does.

Is Ranran Chinese? I also wonder if she figured out Desumi's feelings for Fudo.

They really just had Ayane Sakura doing Darth Vader breathing noises in this episode as Hojo simps for Desumi.

Desumi ripping Fudo's shirt open to make sure it's him was priceless.

I did not have Desumi in baby clothes on my bucket list for this show, but I also didn't expect Blood Princess to have a mommy kink. Poor Beast and Steel Princess...they just wanted to help Desumi against "mommy."

But at least Fudo and Desumi got their alone time and Desumi got his personal autograph.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the baby stuff either went a step too far or went on too long and went past the joke to off putting for me as well.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:42 am Reply with quote
I suppose the baby stuff is supposed to be gap moe with "Blood Princess" being maternal?

Plus, her reading the Gekko version of Goodnight Moon prompting nostalgia in Desumi (and presumably Beast Princess and Steel Princess) for being read to from that book by parents as a child.

But no, the segment didn't work for me, either.
Regalli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people who found it offputting. While I did end up finishing the episode rather than see it as a ‘continue watching’ in my queue for months, I seriously considered dropping it and coming back for the finale.

Honestly I think if they’d even simply cut the ‘let’s get you undressed’ bit and go straight from ‘Desumi wakes up, realizes Blood Princess is going to take care of her whether she wants to or not, porridge is ready’ to ‘Desumi in a onesie being read a Bosslar-themed picture book’ it would have been less offputting, more absurd. (Edit: Specifically that scene for me is the most… assaulty, especially since we DO see Desumi in her underwear onscreen and she is clearly NOT comfortable with any of this but also too sick to resist. Much harder to play off than if it’s glossed over in a cut.)

I do however like that Fudo is the kind of dork who’d ask a childish question like ‘which insect would be the strongest if it were giant’ on a date but then write an actual book on the subject, probably a very well-reasoned and written one given his grades. And the cover being so eyestrain-inducing is a nice extra touch. I’ll just think about that part of the episode. And slumber party bonding time with Judgment Princess was cute and funny.

Last edited by Regalli on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, what kind of total FREAK would have found Desumi dressed up as a baby to be sexy???

*shifty eyes*
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
This episode had everything...jealous Desumi, Fudo trying too hard, an imagine spot of Desumi in a wedding dress, Yukari Tamura finally playing a character, all the Princesses doing their signature attacks, Culverin Bear getting treated like @#$% for the umpteenth time (at least Steel Princess still cares about him), the classic Sentai combined weapon, a couple finisher, and Fudo and Desumi becoming parents.

Overall this was a really fun and entertaining show. Desumi and Fudo were adorable as a couple, the supporting cast were a joy to watch and play off our pair, the action and animation was surprisingly on-point, and there was some pretty great fanservice. I never expected tokusatsu + romcoms to gel so well but as a toku and romcom fan it really hit for me, on-top of filling that Boarding School Juliet fix I'd been craving.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4