• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigun Stampede Anime Reveals Trailer, Cast, Staff, Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:40 am Reply with quote
...or people are just being overly dramatic, and more interested in performative outrage than the actual show, it seems. When something you've been looking forward to is not exactly what you would have wanted, and you throw tantrums and over-the-top reactions like "my show got sacrificed" instead of saying either "OK, this isn't what I wanted but let's roll with what we got, maybe it'll be worthwhile" or even "well damn, I guess I just don't like this, I'll be giving it a pass Sad ", that's not on the product, it's on you.

Again, if you take off the overly dramatic "OMG ALL CG IS BAD" glasses, this trailer doesn't look bad.It looks alright at worst, fine at best.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:02 am Reply with quote
I like the CG despite the designs not fitting the IP. The rest though, eh. I get this project even less now. Not that the manga is the end all be all for Trigun but every return of the IP has less to do with it. Huh.

The people responsible for Berserk 2016 and especially 2017 need to be tried at The Hague.

Edit: Twitter has a point. Especially due to this being a reboot "prequel".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Honestly down with Vash's re-design, and while I can see why people are saying it looks far too clean, I need more than a fast-paced teaser trailer to get a sense of the world's look as a whole. I'm optimistic and just interested in general to see what Studio Orange can bring to the table with a more human-filled show (compared to fantastical gems and animals).
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:

I think what hurts people the most is when it's their show that gets singled out. Trigun fans being devastated is understandable. They'll no doubt look over at other remakes and sequels like Shaman King, Fruits Basket and Tokyo Mew Mew and wonder why they couldn't get a normal modern remake like those. It's the very fact the industry isn't in an animation age ghetto where everything is CG and the Future is Now that it hurts. For some reason the one show they were looking forward to was chosen as the proverbial sacrifice.

I understand your point completely, and I sympathize with those fans wholeheartedly. I even think the running animation at the start looks a little stiff, even as the animation where Vash dodges those bullets looks slick as hell. But if folks are looking for an actual answer, I think it has an awful lot to do with the worlds those anime are set in. All the ones you listed are missing anything close to the monster design we saw in this trailer (caveat that I’ve never seen the original anime for Trigun nor read the manga, so I have no idea if monsters are a normal thing or not), and Orange was last contracted out for the beasties in Godzilla: Singular Point. I’m getting the impression that maybe the modern anime industry is short of folks who can do complex creature animation in 2D (gone are the days of Nausicaa, it seems), and that work is being sourced out more and more to 3D, so that may have been a significant tipping factor in why this adaptation specifically went the 3D route as well.
Raneth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
As an old school Trigun fan, I'm super hyped. Yes, the art style is different, but Vash still looks like Vash to me. I enjoyed both Land of the Lustrous and Beaststars, so I'm excited to see what Orange will do with the Trigun IP.

I'm also excited to see more Trigun, and experience what looks like a new story that Nightow is clearly involved in. It seems like it will explore the dynamic between Vash and Knives a bit more than the original show did, and I am all for that.

I don't think it will hit as big as it did back in the early aughts, but that was a unique time in anime fandom where pickings were slim and good shows catapulted into popularity because there's wasn't much else. There's a lot more competition now. Regardless, I hope new fans will come in and old fans will give it a chance.

spoiler[Spoilerific comments on the design: It looks like Vash has black in his hair, which could imply either a change in direction of the art or hint at the introduction of the concepts from the manga, where using his power drains his lifespan. Very curious.]
simona.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
no hair gel in this world.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Mixed feeling...

I'm a BIG fan of the original TV series and loved the Badlands movie.

This... I feel is unnecessary. Would've loved new stories in the old world...

Don't mind the character redesigns. Aesthetically everything looks pretty good in its own way.

But the CG is a bummer. Definitely better than most productions, but I'm sorry, I can never really get behind this 'Pretend to be 2D low-framerate' style for CG. It will always look awful and amateur. It makes sense if you were actually combining CG with proper traditional 2D. But why...? Are they saving significant money on not rendering/animating the extra frames?

I'm still gonna watch it because it's Trigun, but man... the gold standard for CG is to either go full big budget near or stylized photorealism, or do what studios like Fortiche Prod do for stuff like ARCANE which looks amazing.

Japanese Video Game developers make better CG in real-time than the bulk of Japanese TV productions.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:49 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
...or people are just being overly dramatic, and more interested in performative outrage than the actual show, it seems.

I'm sorry, but that's just BS. Almost everyone would prefer a 2D remake to be made. 2d anime almost always looks much better then 3D anime. There's no drama about that, it's just fact. I can name, I think, only 2 3D anime that benefited from being 3D. The rest would have been much better off being 2D.

SHD wrote:
that's not on the product, it's on you.

That is absolutely untrue. I wanted a 2D Trigun anime. They're making a 3D Trigun anime. That's 100% on the product.

However, this IS the studio that made the only 2 anime I believe worked better as 3D, so I'm still hoping for a good show. But I really doubt it.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
As an old school Trigun fan, I'm super hyped. Yes, the art style is different, but Vash still looks like Vash to me. I enjoyed both Land of the Lustrous and Beaststars, so I'm excited to see what Orange will do with the Trigun IP.

See. I thought those looked fine. They looked great actually. They showed that -SOME- anime using all 3D models works.
My problem is that this is a poor match for Trigun. Almost as bad as it was for Berserk, which is what brought that mess to mind. Nightow has a more angular and rough manga style. He is a huuuuuuge westaboo and is influenced by comic artists like Jim Lee and even Mike Mignola.
Now maybe they could make CG that matches a more gritty western or angular style. This does not do that in the lightest. I guess that would take a bunch of time and money to experiment with the models and renders. This does not look anywhere near Nightow's art. I was hoping that if we got another Trigun anime, we'd get something more like Hellsing Ultimate where the manga style is emphasized. I am for more diversity in anime and mimicking the style of the manga they adapt is a way to make anime stand out. This just looks too much like other CG anime out there.
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

See. I thought those looked fine. They looked great actually. They showed that -SOME- anime using all 3D models works.
My problem is that this is a poor match for Trigun. Almost as bad as it was for Berserk, which is what brought that mess to mind. Nightow has a more angular and rough manga style. He is a huuuuuuge westaboo and is influenced by comic artists like Jim Lee and even Mike Mignola.
Now maybe they could make CG that matches a more gritty western or angular style. This does not do that in the lightest. I guess that would take a bunch of time and money to experiment with the models and renders. This does not look anywhere near Nightow's art. I was hoping that if we got another Trigun anime, we'd get something more like Hellsing Ultimate where the manga style is emphasized. I am for more diversity in anime and mimicking the style of the manga they adapt is a way to make anime stand out. This just looks too much like other CG anime out there.

It's funny you say it's a poor match, because I feel like the new designs are in line with Nightow's current artwork.

Since this is looking like a prequel I think the more "round" look is fine. Though I do think if they start adapting the manga proper it should maybe take on a more angular look.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:18 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Considering how overreactive the butthurt at DmC was and Devil May Cry 5 the game those people wanted being meh, being praised like it that good in all facets?

No they don’t.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I debated on responding. To be honest, it looks lot better than thought. Trigun was one of the last shows I officially fan-subbed back in day. Compared to 2DCG back in same time (Blue Sub #6 as an example), this looks pretty good. I am not fan of CG in any D. My take is not reboot but prequel to TOS, so hairstyle does not bother me much, I willing to give benefit of doubt.
PandaXs1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:03 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

wait, if it's a prequel then how does twitter have a point? if this was when he was younger then it makes even more sense that he looks different.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
I debated on responding. To be honest, it looks lot better than thought. Trigun was one of the last shows I officially fan-subbed back in day. Compared to 2DCG back in same time (Blue Sub #6 as an example), this looks pretty good. I am not fan of CG in any D. My take is not reboot but prequel to TOS, so hairstyle does not bother me much, I willing to give benefit of doubt.

I agree. It looks better than I expected. I don't think you get much better looking 3DCG anime without a movie budget, and all of the 3DCG shows I've seen before look significantly worse.
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:35 pm Reply with quote
But why couldn't it be Onosaka Masaya? :'/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5