• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story With Yamada-kun at Lv999 (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:33 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I know that this may sound crazy, but during one of my trips to Japan with a couple of friends, one of them caught a cold while there and it totally kicked his ass. He used to think the very same thing that you said, but found that for whatever reason, the cold that he caught there was worse than any cold he had here in the US.

No, no, that doesn't sound crazy at all. Everyone believes you. Now, you just stop worrying about it and go get some rest, okay? Wink

Seriously though, You've always seemed like a common sense kind of poster to me, and I don't have any problem believing that different varieties of colds can't develop across oceans, but this anime/cold trope has been going on ever since I started watching anime, and that's been close to ten years now.

In that decade, I can't understand why a more serious cold that's been around for years wouldn't have crossed over the ocean via airlines.

There are more things on heaven and earth and all that, but I, for one, am not ready to start spreading an urban legend about the Japanese cold just yet. Cold-like viruses that pop up and go away within a season without cutting a wide swath through the population happen all the time. Your friend could have caught something like that. And sometimes, people can be mentally or physically exhausted (like from jet lag for example), or have some kind of nutritional deficiency, or have experienced some other condition that they're not fully recovered from, and a cold will hit them harder than usual. But I've never heard of a "common" cold that hangs around an entire country for a decade without spreading its vectors. Not unless there's some kind of yokai at work . Shocked

(Willing to be proven wrong by a flood of similar stories or medical info that I'm not aware of)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:06 am Reply with quote
All I know is that if I was planning to invade Japan, I would simply develop a biological agent that ensures the entire population gets a cold at the same time then just casually stroll in with like, a hundred mercenaries and take over the place, easy-peasy. Wink

I think we might be overthinking Tsubaki a bit. I'm certainly not ready to declare that she has no connection to Possible Suicide Girl but she may not. She may simply be a girl whose had a crush on Yamada for a long time but just assumed he was not romantically available to anybody but she's picking up vibes with Akane that suggest he might be in play after all, which is surprising to her. Could be as simple as that.

I do agree, however, it is more than high time for the show to "open the kimono" as it were and reveal what the actual deal with Yamada's past is.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
@Edjwald

I'm no expert, either, and can only go by my friend's experience. Other than some sniffles at the end of my first trip to Japan in 1991, I've never gotten sick while over there myself (hurray, for my strong immune system!).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 09: The Guild Is Facing a Crisis!!

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:12 pm Reply with quote
10:

Wait, what? What?

So... Tsubaki's just some girl who likes Yamada but is keeping him at arm's length because she knows about his bad rep with girls? That's it? No relation to the girl in Yamada's past at all? That's so... underwhelming. I mean, there's nothing wrong with Tsubaki as a character; she's just the complete opposite of Akane in terms of personality and perspective toward Yamada. But god, what a huge missed opportunity!

So Edjwald's kinda right: the show is "pulling back." It keeps playing it safe and not go into deeper (read: more intriguing) stuff. By making Tsubaki simply the passive crush, we're not getting anywhere new about Yamada's character other than "he just doesn't understand feelings." Akane, for some reason, is making him open up. Why? The show says "that doesn't matter; it just is." My response: "...that's it!?"

I know it's my fault for playing the theorizing game and making this show more complex than it actually is, and thus I have myself to blame for feeling disappointed. But man, the opportunity is wasted on this one; it could have gone many interesting ways, but has chosen the most bland one.

On a side note, I don't know why but Akane sneezing is hilarious. It's over-the-top, but damn, the seiyuu is selling it so hard that it's funny.

Another side note: I think it's more likely that Akane got the flu and not the cold, given her symptoms. Japanese people use "kaze" interchangeably between flu and cold, and seeing how she got a high fever, chills, fatigue, cramps, even delusion, it's more likely a flu. Haven't personally gotten it for many years, but I remember it hitting me hard.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:44 am Reply with quote
At this point I am just trying to enjoy the anime for what it seems to be: a budding relationship between two wrecks. Yamada will probably be improved through the power of love and his past will be forgotten, while said power of love makes him a new man who suddenly does understand emotions and he looks back chuckling at what he experienced in the past.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:28 am Reply with quote
Okay, so if I'm getting this straight, this is what the author is selling....

Yamada was asked to be the bullied girl's point of contact.

Being the obedient and diligent worker drone who does tasks when they're assigned to him, he went along without thinking about it too much.. Not realizing how deeply that might affect someone who was desperate.

The girl reached out to him emotionally.

Yamada, who doesn't handle emotion well, didn't reject her exactly, but he didn't man up and step forward either. He said, in a kneejerk, reflex fashion, "I can't promise that."

The girl cried and wound up transferring schools. She was a sweetheart (I guess it doesn't matter why she was being bullied) and smiled and thanked Yamada as she left.

Akane said that thing about how she'd rather smile and make the guy who dumped her regret it later. This seemed to resonate with Yamada.

The implication - and this is why I retraced the obvious stuff step by step - being that Yamada not only felt like a shitheel, he really liked the girl, he was just too much of a complete block of wood too realize it at the time, or even think about it much. At the same time, he felt deep down like he was a pile of $#it who didn't deserve to be liked. This is why Yamada said that thing about thinking that Akane was out of his reach.

As a result, Yamada (1) wanted to cut that kind of situation off at the root and not encourage women to misunderstand (2) was even less inclined to get involved or think about emotional stuff (3) Feels bad when girls keep coming on to him because he thinks they wouldn't do it if they knew what a crapsack he really is. .

Y'know, I have to say, I don't really buy it. It's better than the worst case scenario for sure, but I feel a little bit the way I felt when the show The Angel Next Door Keeps Spoiling Me Rotten. kept hinting to some event that had scarred the male protagonist, and it turned out to be not that much. I'm not saying I hate the show, but in my opinion, for Yamada to go on being cruel to shy people who reached out to him goes a bit beyond being a doorknob or a guy with low self esteem. Unless he really is mildly autistic or something, It's being a selfish coward.

I do think the author ultimately underestimated how bad Yamada's repeated crushing of females has come across. It doesn't help that every time he's done so in this anime, it's been some shy, stuttering, sweet young female who barely mustered up the courage to talk to him. It's like watching somebody bludgeon puppies with a sledgehammer.

It's not like he hit them or abused them, I guess. Getting rejected and butt hurt is an inevitable part of the mating and dating game. But it still doesn't sit well.

Can I suspend my disbelief or shrug it off? I dunno. I've enjoyed the anime more than been irritated by it thus far, and I'll still watch next episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
So we finally get the deal with Bullied Girl and thankfully my fear that she committed suicide is incorrect and the worst that happened is that she transferred out... hopefully to a new school that isn't filled with shitheads like her old one. And hopefully one that doesn't have a twit like "It's a Pain" Yamada in it.

I have a slightly different take from Edjwald on what the author is selling. First, it's not clear to me that he had any feelings for Bullied Girl other than he did say they were friends. I don't think it went any deeper than that, on his part. He knows he screwed up in his answer to her but he can't really figure out why and, lawsy, it's a PAIN having to think about these EMOTION things, isn't? So he becomes uncomfortable around females and Emotionally Dead Yamada is born (or rather he becomes even more Emotionally Dead than he already is).

Ah, what a heartwarming tale. But all he needed was a hot mess like Akane in his life! Yay! Now he can care and act human and stuff!

I agree with you, Edjwald, that I don't think the author fully understand how Yamada comes across by being such a dillhole with every female except Akane. I guess the strategy was to show what a dick he is with them as a way to build up Akane... see how she's changed such a cold fish! Okay, but then I'm left with a protag that I don't want Akane to be with, so...

Akane can be annoying but she's the one keeping me watching this show. Just wish she had better taste in... well, I can't even say men, I wish she had better taste in boys.

Tsubaki is the smartest character in this show. She took his measure and said, "I hope I never fall for somebody this cruel because I'll definitely get hurt." Sadly, she wasn't able to avoid falling for him because apparently he's like, super beautiful, or something. I guess I'll just have to take the show's word for it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:23 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Another side note: I think it's more likely that Akane got the flu and not the cold, given her symptoms. Japanese people use "kaze" interchangeably between flu and cold, and seeing how she got a high fever, chills, fatigue, cramps, even delusion, it's more likely a flu. Haven't personally gotten it for many years, but I remember it hitting me hard.

I am pretty sure that I had the flu back in April, I tried to get back to work after a week or so when the worst parts were over, the delirious fever that I took to the loungeroom couch to not feel isolated, and then I ended up having a really bad reaction. That sent me to the hospital, I couldn't go back to work for another two weeks from being constantly exhausted, and generally did a big number on me. I also had a couple of bad cramps, the worst was on my ribs that made it incredibly painful to even breath, which lasted an hour of constant pain. It is not fun.

I actually ended up really sick again recently, which at its worst made me wonder if I somehow got the flu again, but it seems mostly better and just not helped with it being winter.

But this is just the escapism I need when stuck in bed sick, watching the anime characters also sick.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:52 am Reply with quote
I remember getting the flu maybe once or twice in my life, and getting the flu shot every year since then. I live in a tropical climate so maybe that helps with me not getting the flu very often (as I'd like to believe), but I imagine that if I were to live in a more temperate climate, I might be getting it more often and I would not enjoy it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:23 am Reply with quote
Hey, DuskyPredator, did you happen to test yourself for covid when you got sick?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I am pretty sure that I had the flu back in April, I tried to get back to work after a week or so when the worst parts were over, the delirious fever that I took to the loungeroom couch to not feel isolated, and then I ended up having a really bad reaction. That sent me to the hospital, I couldn't go back to work for another two weeks from being constantly exhausted, and generally did a big number on me. I also had a couple of bad cramps, the worst was on my ribs that made it incredibly painful to even breath, which lasted an hour of constant pain. It is not fun..

Sounds to me like you got severely dehydrated.

(Adopting best Cliff Claven accent): Da root words of Influenzah are "in" meaning "not" and "flu" meaning liquid. Kinda' fancy shmancy way of saying dehydration, which is why it's so impowrtant to take in lotsa juices and soups as opposed to your usual coffee, soda, or alcohol.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10: I'll Definitely Be Hurt Someday

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:39 am Reply with quote
The further we get, the more I believe that we will get a love conquers all ending that allows Yamada to drop all his nasty habits and fears due to the power of love. No lengthy development or such, he just realizes how beautiful love is and accepts it and he will change just like that into a functioning human. As for Akane, she has actually grown on me more than I expected.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:36 pm Reply with quote
11:

100% legit question, in the show and IRL.

At first I was wondering what the purpose of the scene was when Akane and Tsubaki were working together to fight that monster of a boss (albeit as funny as it was). And then, it was clear: they complement each other, but they're polar opposites in personality and pursuit for romance. Tsubaki is guarded, cautious and is afraid to take the first step. Akane always lets her guard down and clueless but she is becoming more proactive. Not only is Tsubaki afraid, but she keeps her feelings bottled up. Akane is opening up with the people around her.

I don't know if Eita picked up this difference between Akane and Tsubaki and tries to fix something up. Maybe he will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8