• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Precure, Digimon 02 Added to Direct2Drive Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Any way to get Precure on DVD?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Um, ok. So for those who watched the download of Digimon 02 dubbed, how is it? Is it really uncut or the same Saban edits from the FOX Kids era? Are the voice actors the same, or different?

hollowmoon wrote:
If Toei really wanted to make a killing they'd put Sailor Stars up for release. Though Naoko would have to release the rights to do so.

But the question is, does Naoko Takeuchi even have a say to what Toei can do with the anime property?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
So I take it Toei also jacked 4Kids' license on PreCure.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
I don't get the appeal of selling PreCure online in the US for Toei. I mean, the whole point of the show is to make little girls (and weird otaku) buy the Merch - the magical cell phone thing, the plushie mascots, etc. I found myself making a potential shopping list when sampling the show.

With online-only distribution as opposed to on TV, they're hitting the weird otaku market over the larger little girl market, so they're not getting nearly as many people wanting to buy their highly profitable plastic crap... WTF TOEI?!?!?

It's not hip enough for the pre-teen female market over here. It would have to undergo localization and hope that the girls would bite. Also, depending on how young of a target audience you aim for (under 10 yo), it would be too violent and would have to be "cut".

In the end, Toei did the right thing and put it up as subtitled for download only.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
What the hell! I really wanted to get into Pretty Cure but I have a Mac! They better go to iTunes too... really!
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Guys, the episodes are subtitled. Every place that I've gone to has talked about the subtitles. Even one person posted this image.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Hm, everything in this service seems to be WMV files. Might be good for the Zune. But there seems to be DRM, so it might not actually work...

ChibiGoku wrote:
Guys, the episodes are subtitled. Every place that I've gone to has talked about the subtitles. Even one person posted this image.

Even the preview on the site is in Japanese. And yet, the website says that the language is in English...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, so it's really subtitled? This is exciting!

Can anyone comment on the quality of the subs, how accurate they are, etc.?

And in light of this confirmation, please fix your news story, ANN.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Even the preview on the site is in Japanese. And yet, the website says that the language is in English...

Looks like someone fell asleep at the keyboard over at Toei HQ. Rolling Eyes
Zeether wrote:
So I take it Toei also jacked 4Kids' license on PreCure.

Can you blame them? Laughing
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:

Hikaru-chan!? Her name is Hikari! That's pretty bad...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Celes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Um, ok. So for those who watched the download of Digimon 02 dubbed, how is it? Is it really uncut or the same Saban edits from the FOX Kids era? Are the voice actors the same, or different?

hollowmoon wrote:
If Toei really wanted to make a killing they'd put Sailor Stars up for release. Though Naoko would have to release the rights to do so.

But the question is, does Naoko Takeuchi even have a say to what Toei can do with the anime property?

Um yeah, she can, considering all the rights for the property belong to her and she is sitting pretty on them. So I imagine if they wanted the rights bad enough, they would have to tell her exactly what they planned to do so she could approve or not.

If they put Sailor Stars up, that would be the first and only time I would ever be willing to pay for downloaded anime. Otherwise watching it on my computer just doesn't appeal to me. I'm old school and gotta have a TV -_-
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
What the hell! I really wanted to get into Pretty Cure but I have a Mac! They better go to iTunes too... really!

Srsly!! Although, you may still be able to watch them with VLC or Flip4Mac. Anyone have any clue if they work on Macs if you have WMV plug-ins/VLC?

That and, DVDs, please!! Everyone knows the license-buying dork crowd goes for the shiny plastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Precure being released over here, but I'm sad it's not being dubbed for TV. I realize this is the way to keep it from being localized, but I think this way it will miss most of its target demographic and as someone who was introduced to anime through DiC's Sailor Moon, it is sort of a let down.

At any rate, I'm interested to see how this goes and what Toei might do next.
halo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget with the DRM you could be SOL with unplayable files if D2D ever goes out of business, Toei pulls their license (or even if D2D stops supporting their own DRM).

I guess Toei wasn't happy when BVUSA took their top spot in the Japanese Company Botching Their North American Business Model category.
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
By the way, if anyone wants to write Toei and ask for a DVD release of PreCure besides me, I whitepaged their U.S. division mailing address:

TOEI Animation Inc
11150 W Olympic Boulevard 1150
Los Angeles, CA 90064

Let's all write some polite letters for DVD releases of Precure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6