• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Sadly, I've noticed the lack of re-watching among fans on my end, too. I guess I'm old-fashioned enough to love watching something over again and really get into it rather than breeze through a show and not bother with it anymore.

I also have noticed this, one of the reasons why every year at least one anime is called

"The Greatest Anime Ever, And Their Won't Be Another Like It For Some Years" Or TGAEATWBALIFSY
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
I rewatch anime if its on TV.... lol

but I do listen to music from the anime series over... and over... and over.... and over again Razz
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
I've only been an anime fan for a year now. I've rewatched my favorite films once or twice, but I suppose I'm too much like a child in a sweet shop (as regards new things to watch) to give a series another spin right now. If I find the quality of the industry to be in decline then I'll probably start embracing what I've already got a little more.
That said, I haven't seen anything under a year old, so I'm not particularly up-to-date with the current state of affairs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dalbkino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
I've been watching anime for twelve years and I'm constantly rewatching my anime collection even while buying new titles....

I'll admitt I've rewatched; Those Obnoxious Aliens, Pokemon, DragonballZ, and Fruits Basket around April/May and November/December of each year since I bought em!

OH! And that video of the Bunny and Guini is so cute! Anime catgrin
K.o.R

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a re-watcher - typically I will watch a series twice (sub and dub), future watches will be with friends as in "this show is awesome, come watch it". I'm one of those people who likes to see as much as I can (because there is an awful lot which falls under my "I will like this show" category)

Oh and I just finished SEED myself, right after finishing the MS Gundam compilation movies and while both were good I preferred SEED's execution of essentially the same story.
Barachem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
I was actually rewatching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but i stopped at about episode 4 or 5 and want to pick it up again soon.
I did however watch the R.O.D. OVA series several times, mostly watching it with people who haven't seen it yet, but it's still that good.

Apart from those i haven't rewatched any series.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

If SEED fans did give a thought to the original shows, they'd realize what a pathetic, watered-down version they've been praising is.

I don't quite agree that statement. I've seen the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and a majority of every series that has been released in the United States with the exception of Wing and Destiny. While Seed isn't the best Gundam series out there, it's still pretty good mostly in the later half of the series spoiler[after episode 34 it really gets great].

Will some people like SEED better than the original shows (MSG, Zeta, 0080, etc)? Yes, some will like SEED better than the original shows. However will some people like the original shows better than SEED? Yes, that's true as well. I like SEED and think it's a great show I do however though like the original shows better to some extent.

I usually watch shows twice if it's dual language (I'll watch the English dub first then go back and watch the Japanese audio track to see for comparison). I've done this with EVERY series that I have bought so far if there multiple audio tracks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Senna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
When I first got into buying anime DVDs about 6 or 7 years ago, I watched each DVD again and again soon after buying them (in sub, in dub, while doing calculus homework ...). My habits are somewhat different now -- I tend to buy series that I have already seen so I don't have that initial period of wanting to watch them over and over, and I don't have as much free time to do so anyway -- but rewatching remains the biggest draw of buying anime DVDs for me. I'm not going to buy a show that I don't want to watch again, and there are definitely some series (like Escaflowne) that I watch almost every year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
With regards to popularity of shows and Zac's response, I gotta say, if you dream of your favorite niche thing going mainstream, be careful what you wish for. When I was a wee lad in the early and mid 1990's, I often wished that video games were popular so that I'd have more than 2 or 3 people to talk to them about. My wish came true, as far as popularity goes, but I still don't have a lot of people to talk to about games, because either the games I like still have not gotten popular or people seem to not care to discuss the story, characters, and music. I guess my point is, even if the niche stuff you like gets mainstream success, the people that like it are unlikely to like it for the same reasons you do.

penguintruth wrote:
If SEED fans did give a thought to the original shows, they'd realize what a pathetic, watered-down version they've been praising is.

I imagine the reasons us SEED fans like SEED are not the same reason you like the original shows. Therefore, watching something like Zeta Gundam is unlikely to suddenly make us dislike SEED. It is a false dichotomy however. It is possible to like both SEED and the older Gundam's for entirely different reasons. They are different shows after all and as they were made in different periods of time hopefully they reflect different values.

Last edited by Avatar of Justice on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Miitan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
I've watched quite a few series more than twice.

Most recently was probably Kaleido Star since it's a nice feel-good show, perfect after those days at work.

As for the marathon question, while I used to do it all the time (Fushigi Yuugi in 2 days!) I just don't have the time any more to do this with the mountain of games I have left to play, current DVD purchases to watch, fansubs to keep up with and MMO commitments.

Moral of this story: Don't play MMOs if you want free time.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
I think it's pretty strange to hear things along the lines of 'All these modern fans, they don't ever rewatch things. I rewatch things every 2 or 3 years.'
You've got to remember that, for a lot of new anime fans, 2 or 3 years is the entire span of their fanhood. Laughing

That being said, the span of my fanhood is only 4 or 5 years and I've rewatched most everything on my shelf either 2 times or more... except for the ones that I've yet to watch at all (I built up a stockpile last year that I'm still working through Wink)
I think my highest number of rewatches is about 7 or 8 on Hellsing TV, though Evangelion might be rivalling that on the first few volumes (I basically rewatched it from the start every time I got a new volume).

The 'fansub/private-DVD-watch/show-to-friends' combo usually makes it so that I see a lot of things at least three times before even a few years have passed by.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
I don't rewatch a lot of anime anymore because I have a lot of things competing for my time. Not typical stuff like kids or a wife, but books and video games. The best chance I get to rewatch my DVD's is when I introduce a friend to a show they haven't seen before. I also plan out seasonal things. I like to watch Haibane Renmei around Christmas time every couple of years and Evangelion in the spring. Otherwise it is when the mood strikes me.

CruzMissile wrote:
I rewatch anime if its on TV.... lol

but I do listen to music from the anime series over... and over... and over.... and over again Razz

Yeah, I listen to anime and game OST's while at work. It is a great quick way to relive some of the emotions the show/game gives you when you watch it.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
Rabbits and guinea pigs ...it's like a one-two punch of pure cute. I've never seen them so affectionate though, mine just seem to blissfully ignore each other.

My rabbit always had a weird obession with guinea pig ears- my sister had 4, and if we put any one of them in with the rabbit, he'd start cleaning their ears until they squealed in distress and we had to take them apart. Confused

Y'know, I can't think of a single series I've ever sat down and rewatched in full, just becuase- I've re-watched becuase I saw it on TV and just bought DVDs and want to make sure they work, or for a friend's sake, but just becuase? Only a few favorite episodes of Azumanga Daioh and FMA come to mind. I suppose it's becuase I buy faster than I watch, and it's hard enough to keep the backlog down without spending time on re-watching (as much as I may like the show.)

And I suppose my proudest moment as a fan would be getting to know a couple of very cool brothers at a Yugioh tournament by flexing my 'otaku muscle' a bit. Less than a year later, I started dating the older one. This November is our 5 year anniversary. See, anime can find you love in life! Laughing
voodoomage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
There are two undisputable kings when it comes to my comfort anime.
I rewatch Love Hina at least once a year, it's just brings me happiness. And coming in at number 2 is Ghosthunt. This is especially good on a sick day. I've rewatched each series in its entirety at least 5 - 10 times, and they never get old. It looks like Telepathy Girl Ran may be 1 of those top tier shows that get added to my yearly or better viewing.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
There is this notion that it's some sort of huge injustice when your favorite crazy "niche" title isn't as popular as Naruto, and I never really understood that. It's like complaining that everyone's reading Harry Potter but you're reading Artemis Fowl and why doesn't everyone also love Artemis Fowl as much?

Actually it's very simple, but to clarify why is to point out that it's NOT like your Harry Potter/Artemis Fowl comparison on the grounds that despite its relative obscurity, at least you can still actually GET Artemis Fowl with ease. The same cannot be said for popular anime vs crazy niche stuff because of the decrease in overall scale.

For an already niche pursuit like anime, fan interest directly corresponds to availability, both commercial and otherwise. If a show is not popular among fans, then there is nobody to fansub it or distribute it; BitTorrent requires people to seed the files, and seeders become increasingly scarce over time even with popular titles. Try getting a raw of a show from over a year ago that was never fansubbed, or even one that was fansubbed yet not popular. It will probably prove difficult.

Commercial releases are similarly problematic. A year isn't really that long of a delay to wait before consuming most other forms of entertainment, but if people don't get behind an anime release right at the instant it's released, chances are very high that it'll go out of print at a rate much faster than ordinary DVDs do and be gone forever. The chances of discovering forgotten stuff is thus reduced to finding guys in dealer's rooms or online with product they've had unsold since the time of initial release. You want to watch Patlabor, Aura Battler Dunbine, Nobody's Boy Remi, or the grandiose work of art that is Black Lion because someone recommended it to you? Too bad! You were just too slow to the party even though those DVD releases are only from a few years back. By contrast, if I'm convinced that The Adventures of Pluto Nash isn't as bad as everyone says, I can still get that with ease.

If your favorite anime and manga titles aren't popular ones or if you didn't immediately discover them, then they WILL vanish and you WILL be unable to completely see/read the series you like. THAT is the injustice (forget about the air quotes), and this situation is just plain not as commonplace for books, movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5