• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
There are a few series I've re-watched several times. Escaflowne. gets better each time you watch it. Sailor Moon S is way too much fun not to watch the plot relevant episodes a bunch of times Anime hyper!!!! I've also watched Kyou Kara Maou 3 times. All 78 episodes. I just fine it to be so much fun Anime hyper!!!! I’ve also watched X TV a bunch of times. Without knowledge of the manga or of Tokyo Babylon, after I read Tokyo Babylon, and after I read the X manga. I think that brings a new dimension to the story each time.

Honey and Clover I've watched 3 times. I watch it when I feel like I’m reaching a crossroads in life, and often times watching the characters struggle makes me feel strong, like I'll find my way too (I know that’s cheesy). That series is so relatable its scary, and it never fails to make me laugh hysterically, and cry like a baby in the same episode.

I’ve also watched Kenshin several times (well the two main arcs). It was one of my first subbed anime and I still find it endearing and lovely to watch.

and um...Weiss Kreuz Anime hyper!!!!! God I cant believe I admitted to that. Its hilariously bad though.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Here's something to try- someone who improves through actual hard work and practice as opposed to alien heritage, mystical beings, magical endowments, or cursed fruit. But, I guess that doesn't lend itself to fanfiction well... Laughing

Watch Hikaru no Go if you haven't. Perfect example of how to do shonen right.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But timeskips can also go very, very wrong. I'm looking at you, Jinki: Extend.

Shocked x10 You just made that series make sense to me!

What cliche should be bannished from existence? The maid heroine, or heroine's that wear maid outfits or uniforms which resemble maid outfits. In fact, get rid of maid outfits completely as well!
I can't stand the maid heroine! They always seem to be too eager to please, the "I'm so super proper and walk with a 2x4 for a spinal cloumn and I can cook, clean, fold socks and beat down the bad guys and wash your back afterwards while you get a nosebleed" persona should be laid to rest for good.
geopgeop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:

Watch Hikaru no Go if you haven't. Perfect example of how to do shonen right.

Yeah, if being helped for quite the first few episodes from an invisible ghost from the past, an expert at Go no less (that would be a "mystical being"), really counts as hard work (but yes Hikaru does start playing on his own). Razz

Let's see, shonen... thoughts:
No matter how unlikely, GTO MIGHT work in a realistic sense, having already had a live-action version (nah, considering the lead, Onizuka, this would be seinen instead).

Eck, I just thought of the child teacher approach: a child teacher (ala Negima) but with a gang background or similar (GTO). Ahh, how could you be a child prodigy mentor and cross paths with the Mafia? Oh, nvm: Katekyo Hitman Reborn.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
geopgeop wrote:
Yeah, if being helped for quite the first few episodes from an invisible ghost from the past, an expert at Go no less (that would be a "mystical being"), really counts as hard work (but yes Hikaru does start playing on his own). Razz

LOL Okay, yes. But this IS shonen we're talking about. You can't deny its more down to earth than most shonen series. Hikaru does play on his own and worked hard and got better on his own. That's what I mean. His improvement was his own, not because of Sai. He was helped out at first, but he rejected the idea of beng controlled and winning undeservedly. He wanted to be Akira's rival, not Sai, and he lost alot, worked hard and got good, but still not good enough to play with the big boys. I'd say thats more realistic than giving him say, super saiyan like tennis skills superior to a pro at age 12. Anime hyper!!!!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
This Weeks question: Vampires, Vampires need to die. vampires are frequently overused in every medium, but Vampires in anime are the worst. Overused plot devices whose stories all play out the same way, usually involving a girl who, is either, a vampire herself or surrounded by them.

I am sick and tired of this predictable plot cliche, this has gone way beyond Stoker's vision of the creature, and been morphed into girly nonsense that can only be described as "tripe".

I love anime like "Hellsing" and even "Vampire Hunter D" but these contain vampires that are, at least in part, similar to Stoker's vision. They're evil, not just some guy you can find going to your high school, and they're definitely not nice or pretty.
/rant

and as for the whole "help from other means" discussion, Berserk uses this too, as spoiler[Guts has an Inner demon as well, which he relies on sometimes] come to think of it, it bears a striking resemblance to the 9-tailed fox from Naruto.
kayue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
geopgeop wrote:

LOL Okay, yes. But this IS shonen we're talking about. You can't deny its more down to earth than most shonen series. Hikaru does play on his own and worked hard and got better on his own. That's what I mean. His improvement was his own, not because of Sai. He was helped out at first, but he rejected the idea of beng controlled and winning undeservedly. He wanted to be Akira's rival, not Sai, and he lost alot, worked hard and got good, but still not good enough to play with the big boys. I'd say thats more realistic than giving him say, super saiyan like tennis skills superior to a pro at age 12. Anime hyper!!!!

"Hikaru no Go" is actually on my re-watch list. How it can make Go exciting is unbelievable. "Prince of Tennis" used to be, but I distracted halfway through and usually don't finish it now.

There are several series that I watch on an annual basis. Whenever I feel down, or disgusted, or when I just get an anime song stuck in my head.

Also on my replay list are:
"Hunter X Hunter": thoroughly satisfying action. With a non-judgmental young hero and engaging, non-cloying story arcs.

"Eyeshield 21": football crack for the non-football soul. This also fits your "non-super-powered hero" theme. Sena earned his speed and agility the old fashioned way... fear!

"Kyou Kara Maoh": because I'm a fangirl at heart.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
These are the kinds of questions I most enjoy reading other answers to, last weeks and this weeks...it's easier to get an idea of something I may like based on someone elses tastes if we watch some of the same ones over and over again...
I can watch many more than once, I rarely buy anything I have not already seen in it's entirety, and I watch what I buy, of course, some are more favorite than others.

As for something I would like to never see ever again in anime, it would have to be the blood licking on a sword after cutting an opponite. I do seem to be seeing this less and less as the years go on, yet it still is bothersome to me when I do see it. Eww.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4