• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Serial Experiments Lain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Glad that you brought Serial Experiements Lain as a Buried Treasure, Justin. It's one of my favorite anime and always brings up interesting discussion.

vashfanatic wrote:
"Lain" is one of the most overrated pieces of pretentious anime ever created. (waits for people to get pissed) Okay, now that you're done fuming, seriously, tell me what it's about. Because to me, it was confusing for the sake of being confusing. I've watched a lot of stuff with mystical mumbo-jumbo that required you to pay attention to detail, but they always had a payoff in the end, some moment of satori where you realized what it was all about. "Lain" didn't. It just continued to throw out confusing speculative science fiction without ever giving a final resolution.

Read this thread, especially posts by Ggultra and myself. It's about as extensive of a discussion you'll get on lain without turning to the essays written about it.

Basically, like many things that are labeled "pretentious," I would advise actually attempting to understanding the story's intentions before carelessly using such criticisms (or buzzwords, considering how that seems to be common code nowadays for, "It's too different. Didn't get it. Therefore it's bad.")

Quote:
...Not to mention how bland the animation style was, even by '98 standards.

None of the ABE anime have particularly good animation, largely due to budget constraints and the format. I mean, there are some standout episodes in Haibane (episodes eight and 13) and Texhnolyze (episode one and 22), but it's the art and design that truly make those series special. They're compositionally rich, and also have great art direction: the blending of colors in Haibane, the stark, rustic tones of Texhnolyze and the hazed-out look of lain all actually help the respective narratives by reflecting thematic content.

I personally think Texhnolyze is Konaka's greatest accomplishment (primarily for creating a tighter and richer narrative, while also making it far more personable), but lain isn't far behind.

dangerwhat wrote:
Not to say that Lain wasn't entertaining and that I didn't "enjoy it enough" but it philosophizing or whatever does really feel like garbage - like confusing passages just for the sake of being confusing passages and not digging at any real truth.

pachy_boy wrote:
I watched this show three times, and each time I try figuring this series out in all its complexities and confusing elements. But after the last time, I honestly feel like the creators of the show made most of it confusing just for the sake of making it confusing.

Well, of course lain is confusing: it's a mystery with three of its central themes revolving around reality, memory and perception. It would be odd if it were a more conventional work! That's like complaining a slife-of-life drama has too much focus on the characters!

Anime World Order wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:
Maybe the true buried treasure that Lain represented was the brief post-Evangelion sense that TV anime was going to seize hold of its possibilities. In 1997-98 you had Revolutionary Girl Utena, Lain, and Cowboy Bebop—all three of them quite different from each other, but each fresh, dynamic (whether in mind or body), and worthwhile—none of them felt like, "What are we going to put in the slot this season?" or "The otaku are going to eat this crap up."

For all my endless naysaying about Evangelion and its having resulted in what I perceive to be an overall negative effect on anime as a whole, even back in 1998 the consensus among myself and my friends was "they never would have been able to put a show like Lain or Utena on TV if it weren't for Evangelion."

And arguably most of the challenging anime television series produced in the past decade.

Quote:
Chiaki Konaka.

I'm sorry, but that dude just cannot write an ending. My memories of the ending to Lain are vague at best and basically involve spoiler[Lain hitting the Reset button on the world, thus making everything in the series start over again. I never watched a single episode of Mighty Max, but that was dumb when they did it there too!]

spoiler[It's a reset, but not without consequences, unlike pretty much all other anime. It's not as simple as you make it out to be, and also isn't some rogue element suddenly introduced because the writers couldn't think of how to end it. There's a reason for the focus on Lain, as Justin's article notes.]

Also, I take it that you have not seen Texhnolyze and Mononoke.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I feel left out of the loop. I never got into this show, even when it was on G4 for a while.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the connection between Serial Experiments Lain and computers, I bought the signature series boxed set back in March 2005 on the same day I bought my current computer. Seemed fitting at the time, and luckily enough the show was still in-print and still on Best Buy's shelves. I recently re-watched it in English, and the dub did seem a bit rough around the edges, from before things had really been refined. Then again, any awkward or unnatural deliveries could easily be excused as part of the weirdness and artificiality of the show itself.

There's one place where Serial Experiments Lain is getting routine exposure in the fandom -- Greg Ayres always brings it up in his "Fansubs, Downloading, the Industry, and You" convention panel as an example of why fansubs aren't more accurate than official subs. Apparently the fansubbers back in the VHS days missed the show's anti-American elements, elements that Pioneer allegedly left out on purpose.
Teh Wiki wrote:
Producer Ueda had to answer repeated queries about a statement made in an Animerica interview.[15][52][26] The controversial statement said Lain was "a sort of cultural war against American culture and the American sense of values we [Japan] adopted after World War II".[23] He later explained in numerous interviews that he created Lain with a set of values he took as distinctly Japanese; he hoped Americans would not understand the series as the Japanese would. This would lead to a "war of ideas" over the meaning of the anime, hopefully culminating in new communication between the two cultures. When he discovered that the American audience held the same views on the series as the Japanese, he was disappointed.[52]
Anybody else know any details about SEL's anti-Americanism?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I heard that Greg Ayres had said that. However, I notice that the official sub and the dub did not include the anti-American sentiment either. So it really is a moot point at best, and a blatant example of a cheap shot on fansubbers at worst. Don't claim that they are inferior because they did not include something if you yourself failed to include it as well.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Anybody else know any details about SEL's anti-Americanism?

From what I've seen, it's not much different than the sort of anti-Americanism that pops up regularly in anime.

http://www.cjas.org/~leng/o2klain.htm

Quote:
Q: there's a quote in the program, "this work itself is sort of a cultural war against American culture and the American sense of values we adopted after ww2." my question is what does he consider an American sense of values, since what he considers an American sense of values might not necessarily be what we do.

M(U): what was it from? the quote?

Q: from the program. from animerica

U: aaah, from the program!

(laughter)

M(U): ok, so basically, when I was growing up, American culture had a huge impact on the way I am now, and while I find American culture to be very interesting, there are some things that are very complex and hard for me to understand, and the way Japan and America is now, we're on good terms, but there are still some things, there's a communication barrier, that we can't talk about certain things or we're not ready to, that we just kind of skirt around the subject of certain taboo issues, if you will, culturally, and it's not because we're avoiding them, it's just that we're not aware of them because of the communication barrier. I wish we would go further into that.

It gets better when Ueda explains what the bone of contention is..

Quote:
M(U): For many countries in Asia, the second world war left a lot of scars, and I assume this will kind of put a cloud over this room, and I assume most of you are Americans, but as for Japan, this generation has pretty much forgotten about it because the new generation always wants to step forward. they don't really look back, and while my grandfather and grandmother both died in the atomic bombing, to me actually, it doesn't leave anything in me. I don't harbor any, hatred is a strong word, but you know, any feelings of regret and so forth, so basically I just want to keep on moving forward.

Of course America dropped the atomic bomb on a sleepy, peaceful Japan. A Japan that certainly hadn't been fighting one of histories most brutal, atrocity-laced race wars against it's Asian neighbors for a decade. No sir. Ueda's view is the very common Japanese view parodied in 'Paranoia Agent'.

I wouldn't let this type of thing interfere with enjoyment of the show though, it's really just under-thought background noise. A lot of entertaining anime have some pretty suspect historical/cultural views, most of the time it usually never rises beyond some ill-conceived grandstanding by producers/creators.
Dardre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

M(U): ok, so basically, when I was growing up, American culture had a huge impact on the way I am now, and while I find American culture to be very interesting, there are some things that are very complex and hard for me to understand, and the way Japan and America is now, we're on good terms, but there are still some things, there's a communication barrier, that we can't talk about certain things or we're not ready to, that we just kind of skirt around the subject of certain taboo issues, if you will, culturally, and it's not because we're avoiding them, it's just that we're not aware of them because of the communication barrier. I wish we would go further into that.

I dunno, I'm not really seeing any anti-Americanism in that. Looks to me like he's pointing out that the two cultures have things about them that confuses the other; there are things about the Japanese that confuse Americans, and there are things about Americans that confuse the Japanese. They don't talk about them because neither side realizes that this confusion exists due to the communication barrier (or something like that).

Just based on that interview, I'd have to say it might be a bit of stretch to say it's some kind of anti-American view.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:

Just based on that interview, I'd have to say it might be a bit of stretch to say it's some kind of anti-American view.

That's somewhat my larger point (also, I'm just responding to an 'anti-American' query by a poster, not driving the subject). I do think when you write statements about 'A war on American values imposed on us..' there's obviously a sense of hostility there, but like a lot of these types of things in anime it's always some pompous 'shock value' statement that never really translates into anything more. Ueda doesn't seem to even recognize the quote at first from the interview, and he certainly can't explain the question of what constitutes the 'cultural war' or 'differences in communication'. It's just trendy blather, with dubious actual inclusion in respect to the show itself.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Lain, in the box set with the blue slipcover, was my first R1 import (indeed, one of my first Anime purchases full stop). It cost a packet (and coincidentally, it looks like the company I bought it from died just this month). Ah, found the email invoice - it cost me £99.49 back in December 2004, which is $148.49 at the current exchange rate (puts a bit of perspective on the "rip off" prices people were complaining about in the thread about the Sola and True Tears box sets, yes?)
My first experience of Lain was actually in some comments made by fans of Digimon Tamers (also written by Konaka) to which end I bought a BESM guide book on the series that I spotted by chance in Forbidden Planet (it bewilders me to this day that Konaka's name isn't mentioned in that book even once.)
I also have two version of An Omnipresence in Wired - the original Japanese version (which I hunted down just before it was reprinted) and the fairly recent updated English edition by DMP (the cover of which I damaged while removed that wretched sticker they stuck to it which should have been on the shrinkwrap or at least adhered with something other than superglue).
And since I've now lost the thread of whatever I was going to say in the first place I'll take a break now..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nerei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
PS: Somehow I'm hoping for 12 Kingdoms to get reviewed here. I feel that it is mostly forgotten or actually never was really popular ...

Agree. Somehow, 12 kingdoms seems more forgotten. Among all my aime fan friends, sadly only one has ever watched the whole series and love it, though it's a true masterpiece. Sad
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
What I think is the most interesting thing about Lain is that the main character exhibits all the traits of asperger's disorder. I don't know if this is intended, but I noticed that on the third time I viewed it. It's a real shame that most of Geneon's titles will probably end up forgotten. I'm pretty sure FUNimation will revive the most popular ones, like Tenchi Muyo and Akira, but they really should look at ones like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
nerei wrote:
maaya wrote:
PS: Somehow I'm hoping for 12 Kingdoms to get reviewed here. I feel that it is mostly forgotten or actually never was really popular ...

Agree. Somehow, 12 kingdoms seems more forgotten. Among all my aime fan friends, sadly only one has ever watched the whole series and love it, though it's a true masterpiece. Sad

Quoted for truth. I went out and bought the series on the overwhelming recommendation of this site, and I'm very glad I did. It is one of the most in depth, amazing worlds ever put into anime form. I really really wish it was longer.

I refer to Twelve Kingdoms as "the Japanese Lord of the Rings"; that's how much I loved it. It really needs more attention, and a sequel.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE me some Twelve Kingdoms, but I don't have a real hook to write about it yet. Lain was interesting to me because, 10 years hence, some of the technology it spoke of as well as its many social changes had come true or been outpaced. Even if it's still well loved, its far from as popular as it was, and its subject matter might have accelerated its aging process. Whether it did or not is debatable (as this thread proves), but regardless it had enough distance to provide what might have been an enhanced perspective.

12 Kingdoms, meanwhile, is substantially newer (only 5-6 years), and is still in print. Though never borderline-mainstream, I still hear it spoken of every once in a while, more than I did Lain, at least. Plus, being in the more classical "antiquity" fantasy vein, it's inherently a bit more timeless.

At any rate, Lain is probably the closest I'll ever get to "current/popular" in this column, and even that was probably a special case due to the nature of the program. I can see Twelve Kingdoms being a BT at some point, but likely not for another few years.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Am I posting this in the right spot? I really suck at forum posting >.<
Anyway I agree that Lain is more of a classic anime than a forgotten treasure. My friend and I watched it when I was 12 (yeah I know pretty young but I still loved it.) It's still one of my favorites and I have still have the first dvd volume though I admit I never finished the whole series Anime cry This anime was SO ahead of it's time. This came out just as MMORPGs started to take off? And I know it came out before texting. I don't know about you but I find that a little scary. -sigh- I must be getting old, I didn't know it was out of print. I suppose 2003 (when I watched it) was a long time ago...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Of course America dropped the atomic bomb on a sleepy, peaceful Japan. A Japan that certainly hadn't been fighting one of histories most brutal, atrocity-laced race wars against it's Asian neighbors for a decade. No sir.

Yeah, A-bombing civilian targets makes the U.S. the good guys! TWICE, even!

I'm Filipino-Chinese so theoretically I have twice as much reason to hate/distrust Japan than anyone from a country that wasn't totally raped and pillaged by them.
artgeek707

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Lain was and remains one of my favorite animes to have ever watched. I used to consider it the best anime ever made (until recently when Monster made it second best). Still it's an amazing work of art and truly prophetic. It's sad that it's considered buried under all the new crap coming out of animation studios. It definatly deserves more credit.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11