• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - So Long, Suckers!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
daxomni wrote:
A massive raging ego is getting one less stroke a week? Well, it's a start.

This coming from the guy who started a poll thread in the community forums asking people if they thought you were the liberal version of Bill O'Reilly.

Laughing

Excellent!

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Aww. I'm sad now. =| This is my favorite column. Well, I'll look forward to your new one~
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This coming from the guy who started a poll thread in the community forums asking people if they thought you were the liberal version of Bill O'Reilly.

Let's see... Picking on children as though they were equal adversaries. Hosting one-way debates where you revisit the same talking points over and over again? Attacking books you don't agree with by boycotting their distributors and launching PR campaigns to get them removed from store shelves. You seem to have a lot more in common with Bill than I could ever hope to.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Attacking books you don't agree with by boycotting their distributors and launching PR campaigns to get them removed from store shelves.

Wow, that is really not at all what happened and a totally dishonest portrayal of what went down there.

As for the rest of it, keep on ragin' Daxomni.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I stopped reading this feature regularly when people were asking the same mundane questions one after another. A few interesting questions concerning certain companies or insider tad-bits of the North American industry were great since he seems to know about that stuff, but you can only take so much of ...man, my head hurts just thinking of where to start. On top of that I don't agree with a lot of his personal views on some series, but those are his opinions and like hell I'm going to argue with someone about a cartoon.
Zak does has a stiff upper lip for this stuff so I have to give him huge props for that, but I can't wait to see how Brian handles this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wow, that is really not at all what happened and a totally dishonest portrayal of what went down there.

That's how it looked to me and you've yet to explain how it differs from your own view.

Zac wrote:
As for the rest of it, keep on ragin' Daxomni.

And I suggest you keep on dodging Zac. It's what you're best at, isn't it?
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Guys, do you think you could let the last thread for Zac's Answerman not devolve into childish bitching? I was rather enjoying the remembrances of columns past...like this one:
Quote:
Last time I had a couple of forumgoers complain that the column was boring, so I'm not going to let that happen for my 300th column! If the global entertainment industry has taught me anything, it's that the best way to spice something up is to add hot girls and stuff blowing up. So welcome to Hey Answerman: CHICKS AND EXPLOSIONS!!
Maybe this one is a little more apropos:
Quote:
In the spirit of defusing all that anger and tension, this week's edition of Hey, Answerman! will focus entirely on positive things. What's more positive than rainbows and kittens?

NOTHING. And anyone who says otherwise is an empty-headed moron.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Attacking books you don't agree with by boycotting their distributors and launching PR campaigns to get them removed from store shelves.

What? That's totally not what happened at all. Zac wrote an opinion piece in his opinion column about how he saw Kodomo no Jikan. He never (IIRC) called for an outright ban or boycott the publisher over it; he just said he found it disgusting, and that's his opinion and his right. Then it blew up in the forums between people who agreed with him and people who disagreed with him. It got called to Seven Seas attention, they took a closer look at the material, and they decided to pull it.

Anyway, I will miss this version of the Hey, Answerman! column. I enjoyed the cynicism and sarcasm of Zac, and of course the fluffy baby animals (nice final pic of your bunny, btw). But I look forward to Brian/Brain's spin on it. I'm unfamiliar with his column, since I don't have cable and therefore had no interest in the anime on cable tv, but so far in this thread, people sound pretty positive. Also looking forward to Zac's new column, whatever that will be.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, The Answerman column was the reason that I first started visiting this site two years ago, and even up until now it's the column that I've always looked forward to most every week (though Shelf Life comes a close second). It's a shame to see that you're goin' to be hangin' up your answerin' hat, Zac, but it's also going to be interesting to see how Brian/Brain handles the section.

Here's lookin' forward to your next column. Smile
I don't suppose you can drop some hints as to what it might be?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Guys, do you think you could let the last thread for Zac's Answerman not devolve into childish bitching?

But then it wouldn't really be an Answerman column response thread, would it?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Zac Bertschy.

I only realize now exactly how much I looked forward to this column every Friday for the past 2 years. Because of Zac I discovered AWO and Fast Karate, was given perspective on the world of anime from someone who knows what they're talking about, got to laugh at the legions of philistine not-so-nice-people who attacked him, and had a great time all that while.

Thank you and good luck, I can't wait for the new column!
TsukiGoKim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful article, Zac. I'll miss your perspective and am looking forward to your new column, whenever it shall surface.
I definitely prefer the new "Flake of the Week" title, too. Very Happy
Thank you for your weekly insight all these years!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
That's how it looked to me and you've yet to explain how it differs from your own view.

Hey, I'm not Zac's biggest fan by any means, but even I think that's a cheap shot. It was the reaction in the forums that got Seven Seas' attention, not the opinion of Zac himself. And what got Nymphet dropped was that Seven Seas didn't like a particular event in the third volume (you know the one, she gives him an erection by rubbing her ass against his crotch cough cough).

And really, is it so bad that Zac is indirectly responsible for Nymphet getting canceled? I don't want to restart that debate, but it wasn't exactly a great title in the first place. I mean that both literally - Nymphet is a horrible name - but also in terms of the content itself. Really, I think North America is better off without that Manga. Even if we take out the controversial "stuff", it wasn't even that good anyway.

So in my view, even if you are correct and Zac is responsible for bringing Nymphet down, then he has my gratitude. That incident is up there with bringing the Otakukin sub-sub-culture to my attention as the best things his column ever did for me. Although I did appreciate the animals, I just wish he had laid off the bunnies. Nothing is cuter than an adorable kitten or puppy; nothing.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
To his credit, Zac took the high road and moved our discussion to PM's. I stopped reading his Answerman column regularly because I felt it was too focused on bashing those who were too young and foolish enough to know better. Bringing up the Nymphet book was my attempt to show that the O'Reilly attack cuts both ways. The book itself wasn't a huge issue with me, but I did feel it was an overreaction to a purely fictional representation. There are so many things that need to be fought in this world, but purely fictional works shouldn't be part of that fight in my view. They're nothing more than distractions that suck up our time and effort better spent on fighting the true ills of the world. At least that's my view. That's probably all I have to say in here. Next time we'll be reading Brian, who's still new to me at this point. I never read The Click since I don't really watch TV anymore. I do still enjoy anime though. In fact it's one of my longest running interests at this point, so anything that provides new insights and perspectives on the anime industry could turn out to be very welcome indeed.

Last edited by daxomni on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParagonDoD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
For the shift toward libertarianism, I'd blame/credit fandom moving onto the internet; it's a lot easier to be exposed to minority viewpoints via the internet, so the people who would be sympathetic to libertarians' arguments are more likely to be exposed to them.

Conservative, though, I don't know. I suppose you could say that anime still portrays a "conservative" mindset in some ways, e.g. the whole Yamato Nadeshiko archetype.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12