• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Ponyo Dated for August 14 in U.S. Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

Will it look right for a soon-to-be college freshman male to see this in theaters? I don't personally know any little kids that might even like to see this movie (and thus would be good excuses to see it). Pardon the bit of masochism here, but... I'm really unsure if it'll look alright to see it, even if I went with some friends my age or even family members.

If you're really all that worried about the impression you're giving, the person in the ticket window will forget your face three seconds after you walk away, and no one in the darkened theater will be able to see who you are. Razz In other words, don't worry about it.
Mykelti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Yes, June would be prime for this (kids get outta school, etc.), but it looks like Disney wants to keep it FAR away from "Up!". At least it'll make it out in US theatres (+with wider rel.) this summer -but August is usually the month where crappy summer left-overs end up...shame. It seems like a summer movie (setting looks it), so good timing for the big-time producer couple!

It'll be quite the different looking Miyazaki film (some reportedly "experimental" in nature), so it'd be best not to go in with normal expectations -just a memorably rich & timeless story.

-Now bring us a new epic Nausicaä manga adaptation covering those opening historical glyphics!!

See ya in theatres the day before I age another year.

*some Asain spheres call him "Yao-Mi"*
Justy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
You know... I'm really curious about seeing this movie. I mean, hey, practically all of Miyazki's filma have turned out to be "masterpieces" on some degree, and I'm sure it won't be different with this, but...

Will it look right for a soon-to-be college freshman male to see this in theaters? I don't personally know any little kids that might even like to see this movie (and thus would be good excuses to see it). Pardon the bit of masochism here, but... I'm really unsure if it'll look alright to see it, even if I went with some friends my age or even family members.
The very fact that someone of your age (18-20, I suspect) is concerned about how it will look to others is demonstrative that a bias against animation as a form of entertainment for all ages is still being cultivated here in this country. It's not like you're going to see a Dora the Explorer movie or something aimed strictly at little kids. I myself (who is almost 50) just got back from seeing Monsters .vs Aliens and try to see most animated features that are released (I'm one of few who saw Delgo in the theaters). If you enjoy animation, don't be embarassed about; just go see titles you're interested in. You're bound to miss a great experience if you don't.
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Being out in the middle of no-where, I will never see it in the theatres. The fact of life around here. Confused Although, if it did I definitely would. I just hope it makes it to DVD soon enough. *crosses fingers*
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
I just wish that movie does get a nationwide release Anime hyper, that way I can see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2