• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Aria Speedwagon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
I think I would have to agree with Ryllharu, that kind of mentality is spoiled. You're the counter part to sub only 'tards, and recently the "I won't buy without a dub" attitude sounds no less ridiculous than any dub hater out there. Heck, they at least can enjoy a series for it's actual merits. You've already acknowledged the problems with the market and niche titles, who the cares if you're not going to buy it without a dub? It's getting kind of annoying seeing people say that in every sub only review when it's happening for obvious reasons that aren't really completely in the industry's control.

I don't see how you can possibly compare the two mentalities at all, as the usual opinion expressed by "sub-tards" is along the lines of, "I haet dubs because they all suk." I haven't seen many (or any) people who have spoken out against these sub-only releases who use the rationale that they just can't/won't watch shows in Japanese, which is my own standpoint as well; while I certainly prefer watching anime dubbed, I've watched a good deal of content in Japanese out of necessity. The main sentiment I've heard expressed, and one I generally agree with, is that one of the main benefits of getting a show licensed is getting the chance to hear it in English; when the first happens without the second, it takes away somewhat from the value of that licensing. Don't forget that people who are already fans of a particular show have presumably already watched in Japanese through less-than-legal means; to them, an English dub would represent a fresh element to the show, and removing it from the picture reduces that incentive to buy the series.

And again, I myself would probably wind up purchasing a sub-only release of a series I enjoyed, so I'm not even one of the people saying, "I'll never buy this," in the first place. What I do believe, however, is dismissing that enitre argument as being some sort of spoiled entitlement doesn't do any good for anyone.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I will also throw in my vote and say thanks for warning us about Shigurui. As someone who became re-sensitized to violence during my college years when I didn't watch TV, this anime sounds kind of depraved. I really don't think that stuff like this should be made, and I see little separation between "entertainment" that is this violent and the Coliseum. One may be real, and one may be animated, but the heart of the audience is still the same.

We are depraved and bloodthirsty! Thank you for the incredibly lazy generalization and insult, sir! May I have another fallacy involving fictional entertainment (say, Hellsing, Berserk, Grand Theft Auto, The Godfather, Fight Club, et cetera), something which has no inherent bearing on a person's moral character?

Relatedly, this further elucidates on this kind of "criticism." (Also, people go on about another tired variant sub/dub issue for DVDs, and the quoted post is ignored? Seriously?)
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked a dub to go with Aria too. But now, at least I have the actua, physical boxes resting in my shelves. Plus I can enjoy the nice extras that you DON'T get with the fansubs, like the cast interviews and the often funny "Venice, I'm sorry" segments. Somehow, the lack of a dub in the face of this is an acceptable loss.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Very nice shelves grapesofdeath!! I was wondering what the autographed/personalized object is on your well-stocked Sailor Moon shelf?
grapeofdeath

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
Very nice shelves grapesofdeath!! I was wondering what the autographed/personalized object is on your well-stocked Sailor Moon shelf?

Sailor Star Maker was my favorite senshi from Sailor Moon growing up and a few years ago I wrote to the voice actor, Tsunoda Narumi. She replied and sent me the nifty autograph in the mail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
babbo wrote:
I think I would have to agree with Ryllharu, that kind of mentality is spoiled. You're the counter part to sub only 'tards, and recently the "I won't buy without a dub" attitude sounds no less ridiculous than any dub hater out there. Heck, they at least can enjoy a series for it's actual merits. You've already acknowledged the problems with the market and niche titles, who the cares if you're not going to buy it without a dub? It's getting kind of annoying seeing people say that in every sub only review when it's happening for obvious reasons that aren't really completely in the industry's control.

I don't see how you can possibly compare the two mentalities at all, as the usual opinion expressed by "sub-tards" is along the lines of, "I haet dubs because they all suk." I haven't seen many (or any) people who have spoken out against these sub-only releases who use the rationale that they just can't/won't watch shows in Japanese, which is my own standpoint as well; while I certainly prefer watching anime dubbed, I've watched a good deal of content in Japanese out of necessity. The main sentiment I've heard expressed, and one I generally agree with, is that one of the main benefits of getting a show licensed is getting the chance to hear it in English; when the first happens without the second, it takes away somewhat from the value of that licensing. Don't forget that people who are already fans of a particular show have presumably already watched in Japanese through less-than-legal means; to them, an English dub would represent a fresh element to the show, and removing it from the picture reduces that incentive to buy the series.
Easy. Expecting a dub for a niche title in a poor market is really no more logical than "I HAET DUBS!"

The primary benefit from licensing is getting a legit release o,o

Go look in some of the more recent reviews. Ah My Buddha! and Doujin work come to mind. It might be hard to believe, but there are indeed people who say that they can't watch it in japanese, or at the very least prefer English to Japanese most of the time.
Quote:

And again, I myself would probably wind up purchasing a sub-only release of a series I enjoyed, so I'm not even one of the people saying, "I'll never buy this," in the first place. What I do believe, however, is dismissing that enitre argument as being some sort of spoiled entitlement doesn't do any good for anyone.
During the current economic conditions? How is it anything other than spoiled?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Easy. Expecting a dub for a niche title in a poor market is really no more logical than "I HAET DUBS!"

There's a significant difference between "expecting a dub" and "being disappointed that a title wasn't dubbed." It's completely logical for someone who prefers dubs to be bummed that one of their favorite titles didn't get one when it was brought over here; whether or not said dub would have been logically profitable, that doesn't change the disappointment on the part of the fan. And yes, while there is substantial inherent value in a title getting a legitimate release, if that release is more limited than the fan initially hoped, surely you can see the potential for negative feedback. Some might feel that it would have been better off had the title never been licensed at all, so they could continue to enjoy their fansubs in peace without feeling an obligation to buy anything.

Quote:
Go look in some of the more recent reviews. Ah My Buddha! and Doujin work come to mind. It might be hard to believe, but there are indeed people who say that they can't watch it in japanese, or at the very least prefer English to Japanese most of the time.

Yes, and some of those people legitimately can't read subtitled works due to vision problems; to them, a sub-only release represents a missed opportunity for entertainment. And I highly doubt that everyone who prefers English to Japanese most of the time will utterly refuse to watch anything in Japanese, as that's certainly not my viewpoint.

Quote:
Quote:
During the current economic conditions? How is it anything other than spoiled?

Except that the "current economic conditions" aren't really a concern of myself or any other consumer...it's on the company providing a certain product to figure out ways to keep delivering said product in times of economic downturn. While it's true that certain companies have determined that the best way to do so is to release more niche series in sub-only form, that doesn't mean that we as consumers have to be a fan of that decision. I really fail to see how holding the personal wish that the standard of releases one has been accustomed to over several years be maintained is in any way unreasonable or unexpected, regardless of the economic realities of the situation.

In any case, I know this discussion has been hashed-out more than anyone else probably wants to read, and it doesn't really belong here anyway. Maybe we should get back to discussing peaceful gondola rides. Razz
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
babbo wrote:

There's a significant difference between "expecting a dub" and "being disappointed that a title wasn't dubbed." It's completely logical for someone who prefers dubs to be bummed that one of their favorite titles didn't get one when it was brought over here; whether or not said dub would have been logically profitable, that doesn't change the disappointment on the part of the fan. And yes, while there is substantial inherent value in a title getting a legitimate release, if that release is more limited than the fan initially hoped, surely you can see the potential for negative feedback. Some might feel that it would have been better off had the title never been licensed at all, so they could continue to enjoy their fansubs in peace without feeling an obligation to buy anything.

Quote:

Yes, and some of those people legitimately can't read subtitled works due to vision problems; to them, a sub-only release represents a missed opportunity for entertainment. And I highly doubt that everyone who prefers English to Japanese most of the time will utterly refuse to watch anything in Japanese, as that's certainly not my viewpoint.

[

Thank you, another point I am trying to stress. Even though I could rent Doujin Work easily from Netflix, its a challenge to focus reading and watching at the same time. Over the years I've gotten better at it, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be. While I was watching Ramen Fighter Miki legally via Anime News Network, a couple of times it was a challenge to read and watch.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but it all depends on the series. Let's say Chi's Sweet Home was licensed without a dub, but had easy to read subtitles, I wouldn't mind renting or even buying the series. But typically I usually will enjoy a series more if there is a English audio.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

And Ryllharu, your post was giving me flasbacks to the original Ranma 1/2 VHS trailers. "Only $29.95...and that's two TV episodes!" The horror.

Trailers?! I have those videos!! Laughing
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
And back in the day, the subs were always $5-$10 more expensive than the dub VHS, too!

Now that was commitment.

Remember buying two episodes of Eva at a time for... what, $35?
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
And back in the day, the subs were always $5-$10 more expensive than the dub VHS, too!

Now that was commitment.

How can i forget? I have three kenshin sub vhs's staring at me everytime i go to my room. I quickly realized that 40$ for three tapes was going to become an expensive hobby so i switched to renting. Problem with that though was i'd get three tapes and watch them in one shot while forgetting to rewind them! (stupid rewind fees...)

thank g-d that fee doesnt exist anymore!

Last edited by grave_digger18 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
musashi1600

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Over the years, Right Stuf has released a couple of these lackadaisical slice-of-life shows (like the underrated Piano)

What's Piano? Can who has watched it someone tell me about it?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
And yes, while there is substantial inherent value in a title getting a legitimate release, if that release is more limited than the fan initially hoped, surely you can see the potential for negative feedback.

It's true that many people would still prefer a release to be dual audio, and therefore would have been willing to pay more for this to have been the case, but the fact that the fans are receiving less is being reflected in the price tag; something which results in the opposing preference existing also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
jgreen wrote:

And Ryllharu, your post was giving me flasbacks to the original Ranma 1/2 VHS trailers. "Only $29.95...and that's two TV episodes!" The horror.

Trailers?! I have those videos!! Laughing

Ha! Nice. I wasn't brave enough to drop cash on the Ranma VHS tapes until the prices "plummeted" to $24.95. Razz

SakechanBD wrote:

Now that was commitment.

Oh yeah. And I also remember some companies doing inventive stuff, too, like Viz selling their Ranma tapes either as either two dubbed episodes for $25 or three subbed episodes for $35 so it didn't hurt *as* much.

musashi1600 wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, but there's trailers and story/character info here: http://piano.rightstuf.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
Quote:
Over the years, Right Stuf has released a couple of these lackadaisical slice-of-life shows (like the underrated Piano)

I want to say To Heart with a modicum of emotional investment & "conflict" ... but that doesn't seem right (if for no other reason than I don't recall any interlopers upon the power-couple.) Not sure I would call it slice-of-life either, as those tend to be more "tune in for whatever is happeneing today" and Piano sticks to advancing the story each episode. Will grant points on the soft-pastel and un-rushed pace. The encyclopedia plot summary is pretty much on target, but using words like "love affairs" feel a bit strong to me.

Kinda hoped for something that might tip me toward Aria, but the review threw too many flags (and all strikes,) so will definitely pass on the blind-buy. Shigurui likewise doesn't seem like a good fit blind, but two big thumbs up for an initial BD release. 0-for-4 on the week again it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4