• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Heat Guy J from Esca's Kazuki Akane

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinxso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I have considered in the past getting this series but didn't like how it was released.

Releasing a thinpak complete series of this will probably get me to purchase it.

Good news I say.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I had been thinking about checking this out. Good to see it rescued.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
That's funny. I just bought this whole thing from RightStuf a few weeks ago. All 7 individual volumes for only a few bucks each. They may still have it if anyone is interested.
calimike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Thank God! I really want to buy one. Fry's sell it for $45.95 Embarassed
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:48 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
I wish Funi would rescue something hard to find, like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, instead of all these shows that can still be found very cheaply at Rightstuf.com...

I think I can find one or two R.O.D the TV volumes locally, cheap. Would probably be easier and cheaper overall to get the complete series in the book-like case (that came with the limited edition of volume 1) from TRSI or RACS, but I'm tempted to get the limited edition of volume 7 with the artbox, Anita figure, and mini-pencil board.

I'd settle for a cheap thinpak collection, though. Madman in Australia still seems to have series in print as a "fatpack", but going by post office rates, shipping to/from Down Under costs more than to/from North America.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Was Heat Guy J ever that big of a series? I've never seen any discussion on it anywhere.

Several years ago (back when I first started watching anime) I remember Heat Guy J being a Pioneer (Geneon) title. I am surprized Funimation acquired the rights. The series was never really popular and I don't think I've ever seen discusion about it.

Besides the review Zac did in 2002, but that is pretty obvious. I've wanted to watch this show for several years now though. Netflix still carries the Geneon release, so eventually I'll watch this series.

I wish Funimation would license and complete the Hare and Guu series though. All that is left is the finale and its alreadly been several years. But something tells me that isn't going to happen any time soon though.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kyjin wrote:
Anyone know if Funi is putting extras on these re-releases? I already own this series, but just curious.

As far as I've heard, Funimation just re-releases shows exactly as they were (One Piece excepted).

Funimation has cut extras from several of the former ADV series, like Shattered Angels. But we haven't seen enough of their license rescues to be certain. They could include them all, or could cut them, depending on disc space.

As a not of reference, does anyone know what extras were included on Geneon's Heat Guy J.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
As a not of reference, does anyone know what extras were included on Geneon's Heat Guy J.

Just the standard fare, concept art, clear OP & ED and some trailers IIRC. The collection also came with an additional extra DVD that had interviews, behind-the-scenes, outtakes, concept art and such.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
It's not GREAT great, but I did enjoy it. The first half of it aired on MTV2 back when they were trying to get an animation block off the ground, but they handled it badly- the episodes were shown out of order, which mussed up the story arc. (People also yell about cuts for time and the replacement of the OP- I didn't think those were a big problem, but you know fanboys). When the block crashed, I eventually picked up the Geneon DVDs. It's fun stuff- a detective story set in a modern-looking future, with the main characters being a laid-back young cop and his android partner, J.

J is one of the more memorable android characters in anime- take Sean Connery circa "The Rock", shave the beard but leave the sideburns, buff him up, and dress him in a trenchcoat. Then give him a philosophical personality that constantly talks about what it means to be "a man". "A man must" this. "A man should" that. Which is interesting, considering that most anime characters- and real life individuals, for that matter- don't really have a clear understanding of what being a man means, just cliches and grandiose displays.

The series also features Johnny Young Bosch cranking it up to 12 as a batshit-loco crime lord with a fondness for grenades. Which is worth the price of admission all by itself...
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
The series also features Johnny Young Bosch cranking it up to 12 as a batshit-loco crime lord with a fondness for grenades. Which is worth the price of admission all by itself...

Well, when your father names you Claire you're bound to have issues...
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
It's not GREAT great, but I did enjoy it. The first half of it aired on MTV2 back when they were trying to get an animation block off the ground, but they handled it badly- the episodes were shown out of order, which mussed up the story arc. (People also yell about cuts for time and the replacement of the OP- I didn't think those were a big problem, but you know fanboys). When the block crashed, I eventually picked up the Geneon DVDs. It's fun stuff- a detective story set in a modern-looking future, with the main characters being a laid-back young cop and his android partner, J.

Why the hell would MTV2 air the episodes out of order?

Proof that, unless you're Afro Samurai, NEVER LET A VIACOM NETWORK HANDLE ANIME.

Then again, there is the Sci-Fi Channel (Is that a Viacom channel or not? Someone correct me if I'm wrong), which, for the most part, knows how to treat anime.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I loved this series and am happy to see many others enjoyed it as well. I remember in 2001, both Kazuki Akane and Nobuteru Yuuki were hyping this at their Anime Expo panel. They pointed out that the American dvd's had additional footage and retakes which the Japanese versions didn't. Pioneer did a great job with this dvd, with a full disc of extras (mentioned by a previous poster) and the artboxes, which combined to form an image of J's face!
I really hope Funi decides to retain the extras as well as BangZoom's dub, which I thought was one of the best dubs I'd ever heard at the time. Definitely worth a look if you're curious. It's not very deep, but it is a lot of fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2