• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Org Tournament: Guide Write-Ups

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Sweet, now I can finally take these three off my sticky note that I typed up a few days ago. Also, if anyone thinks they can write a better write up for any of these than me, I won't be the least bit offended (Key said he'd take the best elements of the write-ups if multiple ones are written for the same group if memory serves me right):

Stan, Don Wei, Koji
Molly & Jordan
Rick Thunderbolt
Team Earth-Oban Star Racers
Group Type: Racing team
Members: Molly/Eva Wei (pilot), Jordan Wilder (gunner), Don Wei (manager), Stan & Koji (mechanics), Rick Thunderbolt (mentor)
What makes them a team: An inter-planetary space race is being held for the rather vague prize known only as "the ultimate prize" and this group represents the planet Earth. Molly and Jordan are the ones most often in the thick of things, but Don Wei, Stan, Koji, and Rick all provide support in different way, Don Wei as a manager, Stan and Koji as mechanics (often providing support during the races as well with opponent intel), and Rick as a mentor to Molly once he is forced to quit racing early in the series.

Outlaw Star Crew
+ Gilliam
Outlaw Star crew-Outlaw Star
Group Type: Ship's crew
Members: Gene Starwind (captain), Jim Hawking (smart guy), Melfina (ship's navigation), Suzuka (swordswoman), Aisha (hired muscle), Gilliam (ship's AI)
What makes them a team: The crew of the Outlaw Star is searching for the fabled Galactic Leyline, which is believed to be able to help crew member Melfina find out about her true purpose. The problems that come with owning a huge ship are often monetary and the crew works together on many missions to come up with some money, or just save their lives.

Shinesmen pic
Shinesmen- Shinesman
Group Type: Super Sentai group
Members: Yasunori Matsumoto (leader/Shinesman Red), Shotaro Ono (Shinesman Sepia), Shogo Yamadera (Shinesman Grey), Riko Hidaka (Shinesman Salmon Pink), Ryoichi Hayami (Shinesman Moss Green)
What makes them a team: The Shinesmen are both partners in business and in fighting against their enemies (the bad guys in this series coincide with being the bad guys for the business they work in). This group uses the powers that come with being a businessman to try and take down their enemies.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
In a way I'm thinking "Oh crap, all I nominated are in the final so I have to write a review" but in another way I really hope that other people are writing about the same teams as me, since I'm a horrible writer (in anything that goes further than 1 line). But in the end my next offday is gonna be enjoyable because I'll spend it writing about anime.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
I hate to ask a stupid question here, but are certain tropes, like say Lancer, 6th Ranger, The Chick, acceptable as team roles? I feel like almost every group on here has been assigned to a trope of some sort. I've rather gotten used to referring to some of these characters as such, even if they aren't exactly proper terms.

Digimon-Frontier group
Digidestined-Frontier Group-Digimon Frontier
Group type: Children saving the world (is that an appropriate group type?)
Members: Takuya (leader), Koji, Zoe, JP, Tommy, Koichi
What makes them a team: This group of Digidestined, rather than having digimon, turn into the digimon. After arriving on a Trailmon and finding themselves rather trapped in the digital world, it soon becomes clear that they must work together to prevent the digital world from being deleted by the evil Cherubimon. This group travels all across the digital world to help stray groups of Digimon, each helping with their own special skill which results in great feats of team work and over coming each other's differences to save the digital world.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
LordofNoe wrote:

Has there been any official list of the members of the group? For example, do you include Kanone Hilbert, who is one of the Blade Children but doesn't work with the Blade Children. Then there's Sayoko, who doesn't do much of anything in the anime. Sorry if this has already been brought up, I might've missed it.

When I nominated them I thought about Eyes Rutherford, Kousuke Asazuki, Rio Takeuchi and Ryoko Takamachi as a core staff. Kanone and Sayoko are too Blade Children so they should be mentioned.

picture
Game Club When They Cry+
Group Type: school club
Members: Keiichi (leader), Rena, Satoko, Mion, Shion, Rika, Hanyuu.
What Makes Them A Great Team: A group of friends that struggle against fate in order to live together beyond the eternally repeating June 1983 in Hinamizawa, which most of the time is a dead-end world (literally) for most of them. Due to Keiichi’s influence they start to cooperate and trust each other, which helps them to avoid repeating fatal mistakes from previous worlds, so eventually they can help each other and try to fight their way through something that seems to be a lost battle.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg Soldiers from Cyborg 009

Group Type: Military Unit/ Vigilante Group

Members: Cyborg 001 (a.k.a Ivan Whisky), Cyborg 002 (a.k.a Jet Link), Cyborg 003 (a.k.a Françoise Arnoul), Cyborg 004 (a.k.a Albert Heinrich), Cyborg 005 (a.k.a Geronimo Jr.), Cyborg 006 (a.k.a Chang Changku), Cyborg 007 (a.k.a Great Britain), Cyborg 008 (a.k.a Pyunma), and Cyborg 009 (a.k.a Joe Shimamura).

What Makes Them A Great Team: After being forced against their will to become cyborgs by and evil organization called Black Ghost they ban together to try and bring an end to the cycle of war. But they’re not the only cyborgs, they soon realize that Black Ghost is still developing ever more powerful cyborgs to hunt down the original 9. The only way they can defeat their enemies is by working together. With each member having their own specialty they have to learn to trust each other and push each one of them to their limits.

Mu from Toward the Terra

Group Type: Military/ Nation?

Members: Jomy Marcus Shin (Leader), Soldier Blue (Leader), Physis, Harley (commander of the mother ship), Tony (leader), Leo, Carina

What Makes Them A Great Team: The Mu are a group of humans that have some form of disability, but because of this disability they have developed great powers. Out of fear and ignorance they have been forced out of their home world and forced to live in space, or ells face death on Terra. But they soon plan to fix that. They have two chances, either gain the understanding of the Terra forces and live in harmony, or go back home in force. The group of exciles must ban together to take on a whole nation thats set against them. All of this just to return home.

Edit: I changed the "What Makes Them A Great Team" for the Mu because I thought the first one was really lacking.

Also got another picture for the Mu. It's not much better but it at least includes Soldier Blue so with both pictures to covers them all I think.

Last edited by Mushi-Man on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Here are descriptions for all the anime teams that I nominated for this tourney:

Beck, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Group Type: Band
Members: Yukio “Koyuki” Tanaka (guitarist/ vocalist), Ryusuke “Ray” Minami (lead guitarist/leader), Yoshiyuki Taira (bassist), Tsunemi Chiba (lead vocalist), Yuji “Saku” Sakurai (drummer)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Hoping to create a successful band, Ryusuke forms the rock band Beck and searches out for talented members to add to the band. Enduring the struggles of gaining stardom and a crooked record label producer named Leon Sykes, Beck remains committed to improving their musical talents and waiting for the time where they can make their band’s name known. It is because of Beck that Koyuki gains a better outlook on his otherwise normal and dull life.

Trapnest, Nana
Members: Ren Honjo (guitarist), Layla (Reira) Serizawa (lead singer), Takumi Ichinose (bassist/leader), Naoki Fujieda (drummer)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Being the number one rock band in Japan, Trapnest’s members are widely popular throughout the country for their attractive looks and musical talents. With Takumi as the band’s leader, he is committed to ensure that the reputation of the band does not fall apart and takes advantage of any situation that would benefit the band’s success.

Black Stones, Nana
Members: Nana Osaki (lead singer), Nobuo Terashima (guitarist), Shinichi Okazaki (bassist), Yasushi Takagi (percussion/leader)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: The Black Stones are Nana’s hope of being a successful punk rock singer and surpassing rival band Trapnest in popularity. Continuing to perform in clubs and polishing on their musical talents, the reputation of the Black Stones continues to grow as the series progresses. With Yasu as the band’s leader, he works out the financial decisions and partnerships that help raise the band’s success.

Akatsuki, Naruto franchise
Group Type: Criminal organization
Key Members: Itachi Uchiha, Kisame Hoshigaki, Zetsu, Deidara, Sasori, Hidan, Kakuzu, Tobi
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Consisting of powerful ninjas that defected from their villages, Akatsuki is a criminal organization seeking to gain complete control of the world through acquiring the power of the tailed beasts. Units of Akatsuki consist of two ninjas each who are paired together to cooperate on missions that benefit the goals of the organization. The only exception to the two-ninja unit is Zetsu who serves as Akatsuki’s spy.

Paper Sisters, R.O.D the TV
Group Type: Detective agency
Members: Anita King (offense), Maggie Mui (defense), Michelle Chang (support)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Besides serving as a supportive surrogate family to one another, the Paper Sisters make use of their specialty areas with paper magic to assist one another in battle. They also hold “special meetings” to settle disputes on a course of action both on missions and in normal situations. All three also have roles at balancing out the traits of the other “sisters” such as Michelle keeping Anita’s anger in check, Anita keeping her sisters from overspending on books and Michelle giving Maggie the motivation to take action.

Juppongatana, Rurouni Kenshin
Group Type: Terrorist group
Members: Makoto Shishio (leader), Seta Soujiro, Uonuma Usui, Yukyuzan Anji, Sadojima Hoji (second-in-command), Sawagejo Cho, Honjo Kamatari, Kariwa Henya, Iwanbo, Saizuchi, Fuji
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: This elite group of swordsmen were formed under the leadership of Makoto Shishio to overthrow the Meiji government and take control of Japan. With Hoji’s powerful influence, the Juppongatana were able to acquire weaponry from off the black market such as the metal-plated battleship Purgatory. Desiring a government where the strong were valued over the weak, the Juppongatana wrecked havoc throughout Japan attempting to burn down the city of Kyoto and use the Purgatory to attack Tokyo.

TERRA, RahXephon
Group Type: Defense research organization
Key Members: Ayato Kamina (pilot of RahXephon), Haruka Shitow (Tactical division captain), Jun Kunugi (commander), Megumi Shitow (trainee, officer later), Kim Hotel (operative), Souichi Yakumo (second-in-command), Itsuki Kisaragi (doctor), Sayoko Nanamori (research assistant), Elvy Hadhiyat (pilot)
What Makes Them a Great Team/ Organization: This organization is responsible for researching and defending Japanese cities against the Mulian alien threat. The organization works on both research and defensive fronts. Researchers of TERRA analyze aspects of the Mulian threat. The defensive front consists of military pilots and Ayato piloting RahXephon engaging Dolems in combat while computer operators direct them on the locations and actions of enemy targets.

Organo, Texhnolyze
Group Type: Crime syndicate
Key Members: Oonishi Kaego (leader), Hirota (secretary), Goto (second-in-command), Haruhiko Touyama (hitman), Ichise (temporary member)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: This wealthy-elite crime syndicate is connected to the selling and manufacturing of the Texhnolyzed prosthetic limbs. Led by Oonishi and consisting of a council of advisors, the Organo’s influence was known to be responsible for the current peace that Lux had despite the syndicate’s shaky tensions with the Union and Racan.

Union, Texhnolyze
Group Type: Populist group
Key Member: Kimata (leader)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Opposed to the development of Texhnolyzed limbs, the Union is known to interfere in the Organo’s development of the prosthesis considering the syndicate to be a group of parasites. Strongly valuing the development of the human body, the Union’s leader Kimata strongly encourages his group’s members to train their bodies to be strong and fit without gaining any Texhnolyzed limbs.

Racan, Texhnolyze
Group Type: Gang
Key Members: Shinji (leader), Haru
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: The Racan are a violent gang of youth who underwent the Texhnolyzed prosthesis being bound by the “freedom” it grants them. Being a group based on the belief of free will, the members of the Racan are free to do as they please and are encouraged to do what they want by their leader Shinji.

Yamayurikai, Maria-sama ga Miteru franchise
Group Type: Student Council
Members: Rei Hasekura (Rosa Foetida), Yoshino Shimazu (Rosa Foetida en bouton), Sachiko Ogasawara (Rosa Chinensis), Yumi Fukuzawa (Rosa Chinensis en bouton), Shimako Todo (Rosa Gigantea), Noriko Nijo (Rosa Gigantea en bouton), Eriko Torii (Rosa Foetida, initially), Yoko Mizuno (Rosa Chinensis, initially), Sei Sato (Rosa Gigantea, initially)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Being the student council of the Lillian High School for Girls, the Yamayurikai consists of three different offices and three positions that can be held by members of the student body as members can either be appointed by senior members or voted for in elections. Each position holds different levels of responsibility within the council as the Roses make the major decisions, the en boutons are assistants to the Roses and the petite soeurs perform small duties for the council.

Millenion, Gungrave
Group Type: Crime syndicate
Key Members: Big Daddy (leader, initially), Harry MacDowell (leader), Brandon Heat (sweeper, initially), Bear Walken (sweeper), Bob Poundmax (intelligence operative), Balladbird Lee (operative), Bunji Kugashira (sweeper)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Being formed by Big Daddy, Millenion was created to protect his “family” and the city against other crime syndicates trying to gain presence in the city. When controlled by Harry, the syndicate became a great source of fear to both the citizens of the city and other crime syndicates thanks to Harry’s implementation of Necro-Rise creations. Under both leaders, Millenion was a formidable presence having a great amount of influence and resources on crime activities that took place throughout the city.

I-Jin, Read or Die OVA
Group Type: Criminal group
Members: Ikkyu (leader), Beethoven, Genjo Sanzo, Gennai Hiraga, Jean-Henri Fabre, Nancy Makuhari, Stephen Wilcox, Otto Lilienthal
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: These genetically-enhanced clones of famous historical figures were brought together for one cause: the complete extermination of all people on Earth who were considered “wasteful.” Making use of their newly acquired enhancements, the I-Jin made efforts at acquiring the last book they needed for their plans of global conquest from Yomiko Readman and the British Library.

Wolf Brigade, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Group Type: Military unit
Key Members: Hachiro Tabe (leader), Hajime Henda (second-in-command), Kazuki Fuze (operative)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: The Wolf Brigade was created by the Capital Police as a countermeasure against a conspiracy planned by police and military organizations to discredit the Capital Police. Being a counter-intelligence secretive unit, agents of the Wolf Brigade closely observed the actions of Kei Amemiya and the conspirators as the organizations made use of Fuze as their pawn to bring down the Capital Police.

Yuki Fan Club, Fruits Basket
Group Type: School club
Members: Motoko Minagawa (president), Minami Kimoshita (vice president), Mio Yamagishi (No. 1), Mai Goto (No. 2)
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: This school club of Yuki Sohma fangirls were committed to “protecting” Yuki from the romantic advances of every girl in the school. Under Motoko’s leadership, the Yuki Fan Club shown great persistence at trying to pressure or blackmail their way towards keeping away any girl that tries getting close to Yuki.

British Library Operations Division, Read or Die franchise
Group Type: Operative unit
Key Members: Joker (acting head/leader), Yomiko Readman, Wendy Earhart (secretary), Nancy Makuhari (initially), Drake Anderson, Junior
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: This secret branch of the British Library is committed at securing the British Empire’s power and influence, as well as promoting literacy. Consisting of super powered and well-trained military agents spread out across the world, the Ops Division is sent to combat book-related crimes and terrorism, as well as securing rare books for the British Library.

French Guards Company B, Rose of Versailles
Group Type: Military unit
Key Members: Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes (commander), Alain de Soissons (sergeant), Andre Grandier
What Makes Them a Great Team/Organization: Consisting mostly of commoners, this unit of the French Guards stuck strongly together with their rowdiness and opposition to nobles and the Royal Family. When Oscar persuades a superior officer to spare the life of one of the unit’s troops, this earns her the respect of Company B. The unit would play a major role late in the series with assisting the revolting French commoners against military units dispatched by the Royal Family to oppress the citizens from organizing against them.

I'll put up pictures that I can find of the groups in a later post. My brain feels like mush write now after having to think up of all this stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, here goes...

photo
The Dead Girls from Red Garden
Group Type: Supernatural Special Forces Unit
Members: Rose, Kate, Claire, Rachel
What makes them a team: Attendees of a private academy in New York City, these four very different ladies are in for a rude awakening. Each realizes that she can’t remember the night before, and in the middle of the night the girls are informed that they are dead, and that they must fight monsters to get their bodies back. Not only must the girls work to function as a team in order to survive; they must also learn to support each other emotionally as they slowly realize that their situation isolates them unbearably from friends and family. It’s a bitter-sweet joy to watch both their skills and their teamwork grow as they ultimately realize that the only people they can depend on for the rest of their lives are each other.

can anyone find a good picture for this?
The Crew of the Silvana from Last Exile
Group Type: Ship's crew
Members: Alex Rowe, Sophia, Claus, Lavie, Tatiana, Alister, Godwin & the mechanics crew, etc.
What makes them a team: The Crew of the Silvana may seem an eclectic bunch, but the nototious and feared Silvana is a rouge ship with no government loyalties. Its only job is to do the bidding of its captain, Alex Rowe, who commands unquestionable respect and admiration from everyone on his crew, though many on the crew don't understand his motives and simply love airships and the sky. Together, the crew smoothly operates every day and also undertakes dangerous missions at Alex's behest.

photo
The Parakiss Label from Paradise Kiss
Group Type: Design Team
Members: George, Yukari/Caroline, Miwako, Arashi, Isabella
What makes them a team: Though the other ParaKiss members often complain about backbreaking work and the ambitious designs of George, this close-knit group of student designers is very much a family. With George as head designer, Miwako, Arashi, and Isabella work tirelessly to bring his creations to life, and welcome Caroline with open arms when she comes to model for them. They love their work and each other, and like any production team make finishing touches on their work up until the last moment. Their cohesion is particularly apparent as they get Caroline's dress ready for their final show.

photo (I think it's legit)
Team Urameshi from Yu Yu Hakusho
Group Type: Supernatural Special Forces Unit
Members: Yusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei, Kurama
What Makes Them a Team: Yusuke Urameshi is a Spirit Detective, or someone who calms unrest caused by demons in the human world. Teaming up with his best friend and punching bag Kuwabara, Yusuke meets powerful demon Hiei, and demon-turned-human Kurama, on his various missions. From then on out, Yusuke's three partners help him in various dangerous cases with aplomb and support, including participating on his team in the deadliest of all demon world fighting tournaments, The Dark Tournament. Some of the team members believe that they must give their lives on multiple occasions during The Dark Tournament to advance the rest of the team, and ready to do so.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The brackets for the tournament have now been set. An Excel file breakdown of the brackets can be downloaded at this link.

Dorcas_Aurelia has informed me that he's willing to do the minigame again, so he may be posting a more minigame-entry-friendly version within the next day or so as well as minigame rules. I will link to that off the OP when it happens.

Please note that write-ups for teams in Groups A and B are the priorities if you do not have time or inclination to do write-ups for all of your nominations right away. The objective is to start the tournament at midnight EST (GMT-5) on September 8th, but that will depend on all of the Guide entries for at least Group A being done by then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
guet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
Here are half of my nominations, I'll try to get the other half finished in the next couple days.

Straw Hat Pirate Crew, One Piece
Group Type: Ship's Crew
Members: Monkey D. Luffy (Captain), Roronoa Zoro (Former Pirate Hunter, Combat Swordsman), Nami (Navigator, Cartographer, Weather Expert, Voice of Reason), "Black Leg" Sanji (Ships Cook), Usopp (Marksman, Inventor, Liar, Masked Hero), Tony Tony Chopper (Ship's Doctor, Mascot), spoiler[ Nico Robin (Scholar, Archaeologist), Franky (Cyborg, Shipwright), "Dead Bones" Brook (Ship's Musician) ]
What makes them a great team: While One Piece is a story about a group of Pirates struggling to make a name for themselves while searching for a legendary treasure, the true spirit of the story is one about a group of friends who each has a dream they want to fulfill. Each member of the crew joins up for their own reason, yet over time they become closer than a family, never giving up their individual dreams, but still becoming part of something greater. They risk their lives for one another, make sacrifices to help each other, and endure pain and suffering to make sure the journey can keep going until the end. Many times a crew member will be in danger in one way or another, and every single person from this crew will put everything else to the side, even if it means they have to overcome fears, put aside personal differences, or sometimes even risk missing out on part of their dream, in order to do what they can to help the one in danger.

Hellsing Organization, Hellsing franchise
Group Type: Privately Owned Military Organization
Key Members: Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing (Leader), Alucard (Master Vampire, Chief Field Operative, "Trump Card"), Seras Victoria (Former Police Officer, Thrall in service to Alucard, Heavy Weapons Expert), Walter C. Dornez (Butler, Weaponsmith, "Angel of Death", Former Field Operative), The Wild Geese (A group of mercenaries in the employment of Hellsing, lead by Pip Bernadotte)
What makes them a great organization:In the Hellsing universe, the organization (also known as the Royal Order of Protestant Knights) is an integral part of the true power-structure of Great Britain, which is, according to the story, still ruled by a hidden aristocracy and the monarchy. The organization is tasked with defending the country's shores from any and all supernatural threats including a group of Nazi remnants called Millennium. As a Protestant group that uses vampires to fight vampires, they are also natural rivals to the Vatican and it's various sections as they are seen as heretics despite having similar objectives.

Shibuya Psychic Research, Ghost Hunt
Group type: Privately Owned Supernatural Detective Agency
Members: Kazuya "Naru" Shibuya (President), Lin (Assistant to Naru), Mai Taniyama (Office and on-case assistant). The SPR also finds itself assisted by a monk (Houshou Takigawa), a shrine maiden (Ayako Matsuzaki), a famous psychic (Hara Masako), a young, Australian Catholic Priest (John Brown), and, later on in the series, a third year high school student (Osamu Yasuhara) who works as an assistant beside Mai.
What makes them a great team: Each member brings unique skills to the investigation of supernatural cases, and only by using these skills and working together to find clues can each case be solved. Each members talents and background also serve as a major driving force behind the plot. These people don't always agree with each other, but they do help each other and put themselves at risk to help one another when needed.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Best Team/Organization Tournament Mini-Game

As before, I will be hosting a mini-game corresponding with the ANN Tournament. Entry is simple: Fill out a bracket (if you've already downloaded Key's version, that works fine, too) with your predictions of who will win at each level.
Completed Sample Bracket*
Mail your completed bracket to me via Sean_A_Rooney [at] yahoo [dot] com

Scoring: Points will be awarded based on correct predictions of the winners. Progressive rounds of the tournament of the tournament will be worth increasing values.
First round - 1 point per correct guess (64 points possible)
Second round - 2 points per correct guess (64 points possible)
Third round - 3 points per correct guess (48 points possible)
Fourth round - 4 points per correct guess (32 points possible)
Fifth round - 6 points per correct guess (24 points possible)
Sixth round - 8 points per correct guess (16 points possible)
Final round - 10 points per correct guess (10 points possible)

Prizes:
1st place - $150 (USD) worth of anime, manga, and/or related merchandise.
2nd place - $100 (USD) worth of anime, manga, and/or related merchandise.
3rd place - $50 (USD) worth of anime, manga, and/or related merchandise.
Due to the uncertain state of my budget, prizes may be delayed. I don't expect this to be the case, but be aware that there is a possibility winners might have to wait a bit after the tournament before claiming their prizes this time.

Adjustment: If only ten or fewer people enter the mini-game, prizes will be as follows:
1st place - $100 (USD) worth of anime, manga, and/or related merchandise.
2nd place - $50 (USD) worth of anime, manga, and/or related merchandise.

Eligibility:
Anyone may enter. However, participants who live outside the US should be keep in mind that this will make ordering and paying for their prizes complicated, and some alternative means of awarding their prize may be discussed.

* Sample bracket choices selected by flipping a quarter. Yes, 127 times.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Picture
Left to Right: George DeSand, Sai Sai-C, Domon Kasshu, Rain Mikamura, Chibodee Crocket, Argo Gulski

The Shuffle Alliance, G-Gundam
Group Type: Earth Defenders
Key Members: Domon Kasshu(Leader), Rain Mikamura, Argo Gulski, Chibodee Crocket, George DeSand, Sai Sai-Ci
What makes them a great organization: The 5 Gundam Pilots (Domon, Argo, Chibodee, George, Sai) were originally sent to Earth to win the Gundam Tournament for their respective countries (and personal reasons) so they could rule the universe for the next 4 years. But, as the tournament progresses they uncover an evil secret, the Dark Gundam, that could mean the end of the Earth and Space Colonies. They, the pilots, decide to temporarily put their own agendas aside and band together to stop the Dark Gundam. While they do still compete in the tournament to win it, they know when to put their own wants aside for the greater of the universe.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have any idea where I could find a bigger version of this Band of the Hawk picture?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Wee, all but one of my nominations are in the bottom 40 least viewed shows, and four in the bottom 30. One of them is the second least viewed show in the tourney. No pressure. (Technically, Ala Alba is from the least viewed show, as they only appear in the White Wing and Other World OVAs, but I imagine the manga popularity boosts the number actually familiar with them a bit).
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia, do you have a set date on when the entries are going to be due? I'm just wondering so I don't put off filling it out for to long.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Here are pics of what I could find for my groups:

Akatsuki (Naruto)
Beck (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad)
British Library Ops Division (Read or Die franchise)- Features the three major agents: Yomiko, Nancy and Drake.
Millenion (Gungrave)- The best shot I could get of the five major Millenion characters spoiler[when Brandon is Beyond the Grave].
Paper Sisters (Read or Die TV)
TERRA (RahXephon)- Best group shot I could get, but features a number of the major TERRA characters: Haruka, Jun, Megumi, Kim, Souichi, Itsuki and Sayoko.
Trapnest (NANA)
Yamayurikai (Maria-sama ga Miteru franchise)- This picture is from the first season so it is missing Noriko.
Wolf Brigade (Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade)- I apologize for the subpar quality of the image, but the video quality of my DVD for the movie isn't so great. If someone can get a better quality picture than what I have, be my guest and go ahead.
Yuki Fan Club (Fruits Basket)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 25