• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensed/dubbed anime - wishlist?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Erm, Toradora was picked up well over a year ago by NISA and I believe the graphic novels were licensed as well.

Anyway, I got excited the other day when I saw that Dennou Coil had been licensed but it was only for Australia, not the US. Oh well, at least there's an English-speaking country I can import it from!
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
A Blu-ray boxset is scheduled for release in Japan this November. Perhaps someone here will decide it's time to bring Dennou Coil to R1.
XXghostface

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I wanna see Bakemonogatari get licensed.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
So out of all the titles I posted a year ago exactly how many were actually picked up? Just 1 measly title. Crying or Very sad

To it I will add:

Series:
Armor Hunter Mellolink-This was a pretty darn good sidestory that takes place in the Votoms-verse. The story was really good.
Armored Trooper Votoms OVAs- These are various prequel/spinoff/sequel mini-series released. Most of them were really good and worth watching.
Negima!: Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba/Mo Hitotsu no Sekai/movie- Funi has the series and a few of the other OVAs I wish they'd get these too.
Natsu no Arashi/Natsu no Arashi: Akinai Chou- This was a surprisingly funny comedy series. It had good characters and humor.
Omamori Himari-A pretty good fanservice laden supernatural action series. I liked a lot of the characters and the story was interesting.
Otome Yokai Zakuro- A short one season show, but yet it had a lot of memorable characters, a good story, and some nice romance.
Princess Lover- This one got a bad reception here but personally I enjoyed it and especially liked the 4 main female characters.
Princess Resurrection OVA- It doesn't add much at all to the series other than being more faithful to the manga, but I still love it for the characters and supernatural action.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
So far I counted 15 wishes granted:

Angel Beats!
Clannad Movie
Ef a Tale of Memories and Melodies
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Fairy Tail
Hidamari Sketch X Hoshimittsu
Kaiba
(for Australia)
Kara no Kyoukai (although the boxsets were limited....)
Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl (someone wanted there to be a dub and MB released a Vocal collection this year)
Kimi ni Todoke
Kobato
Koihime†Musō
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Nyan Koi
Shiki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Michiko to Hatchin
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
Michiko to Hatchin

You gotta put down a reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dandudeamiga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
XXghostface wrote:
I wanna see Bakemonogatari get licensed.

Agree! This is a hot show and still no one in the US will license this? Maybe I'm missing something?

Must have english dub, too!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Been a while since I last did this. Here's my current Top 10 of what I would want licensed:

1. Macross Frontier- I know that the chances of this occurring are very slim at the moment considering the complicated legal mess over music and property rights of the Macross franchise. But being a sap for Macross, I'm dying to see this come stateside.
2. Dennou Coil- One of 2007's best titles. I find it rather shocking that even with the amount of praise the series received online from North Americans fan that no American licensor has yet to even pick this surprisingly complex children's cyberpunk title up.
3. Aoi Bungaku Series- I've been a sap for anthology titles and this baby's been the best of the bunch for me. With its high quality presentation coming from Madhouse and psychologically-driven titles at its disposal, Aoi Bungaku's one of the best titles I've had a chance of seeing.
4. Michiko to Hatchin- Fun little comedy-adventure series. I dug the fun chemistry between Hana and Michiko throughout their trek across crime and poverty driven locales.
5. Bokurano- Powerful mecha drama coming from the infamous creator of Narutaru. The series explores the value of living one's life as explored through a group of children forced into a twisted game that puts their world at risk, as well as costing them their very lives.
6. Eve no Jikan- Perhaps the best ONA series I've had a chance of seeing. Has a visual presentation impressive enough that would make you think you were watching an anime film and explores aspects to its subject matter on androids gaining sentience, all within just six episodes.
7. Bakemonogatari- Found the series to be relatively solid in its focus on the various paranormal phenomena that Araragi and several girls deal with. With the show's immense popularity online, I'm quite surprised that no American licensor has picked up the show yet.
8. Kimagure Orange Road- I find it very doubtful that KOR will ever be picked up again for licensing considering the show's age. But for those who want to experience this fun and touching romantic comedy classic, having a current licensor snag the show would beat having to pay hundreds of dollars for a complete series as I had to run around in doing last year.
9. Bartender- A unique series to check out if you're looking for anything unconventional to check out. Essentially, the show tells episodic stories of a bartender hearing the problems of his customers connected to any alcoholic beverage that they are fond of.
10. Aoi Hana- A decent shoujo-ai romantic drama centered around the close friendship of two childhood friends, one of whom experiencing love woes from unrequited love towards her cousin and a relationship with an upperclassman.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia World Series ( I know its coming out but I'm impatient)

Potemayo

Mama is a fourth grader ( at least in english subs, it has over 50 episodes and I only get to see 5 episodes in English subs)

Sayanara Zetsubou Sensei *Shot*

Only Yesterday (Screw you Disney for not dubbing it because it had something about a girls "time of the month" and to much Japanese culture, they're ok with releasing Pom Poko with a racoons "pouch" (If you know what I mean) yet they don't dub this amazing movie! Oh well we don't need you lets just watch Studio Ghibli give their contract to Funimation, a company worthy of dubbing their masterpieces.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Hetalia World Series ( I know its coming out but I'm impatient)

Sayanara Zetsubou Sensei *Shot*

Hetalia World Series was licensed back in 2010 and is coming out January 2012. Sayanara Zetsubou Sensei was also licensed, but Media Blasters has yet to release the DVD's....

Moving on: so many wishes have been granted since this I started this thread last year. Time to refresh my wish list:

Blood-c - I know this series was terrible to alot of people but I personally loved it. I love horror Anime and it is sad to see so little Region 1 releases of the genre.

Cutey Honey Flash - Still dreaming for this series.

Kaiba - Yup, still hoping on this one. I am uber jealous that Australia got a DVD release (which I imported anyway, but still).

Mawaru Penguindrum - Why has nobody picked this up yet?! I only saw a few episodes and yet I love this show.

Mystic Archives of Dantalian - I love Gainax, what can I say? I enjoyed watching this series on Crunchyroll.

School Days - Terrible, yet I would buy this series for the lolz as long as they spoiler[leave Makoto's death scene uncut since the cut version was dumb.]

Skip Beat! - Shame that this series still hasn't been picked up. It is so damn funny.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito - Still barking up this tree, yes. Anime hyper

I am also still hoping for the second seasons of XXXHolic and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni to get picked up. And I still want to see Sailor Stars get picked up (very unlikely at this point but one can dream, right?).
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
So far I counted 15 wishes granted:

Angel Beats!
Clannad Movie
Ef a Tale of Memories and Melodies
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Fairy Tail
Hidamari Sketch X Hoshimittsu
Kaiba
(for Australia)
Kara no Kyoukai (although the boxsets were limited....)
Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl (someone wanted there to be a dub and MB released a Vocal collection this year)
Kimi ni Todoke
Kobato
Koihime†Musō
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Nyan Koi
Shiki

Quick reminder that this topic was also dealing with dubs as well as licences.

Emma still has no dub, though the price has gone down a bit.
Panty & Stocking has not been licensed that I know of.

Anyhow with the sub only limited edition release of Oreimo I wonder if it sells enough will they go back and dub it? I mean this was a rather popular subject of discussion on other message boards, so I thought it would be popular enough to get a dub.

Obviously other companies have done this in the past (Sentai & Media Blasters) but since this is from a relatively new company in Aniplex America, there really are no previous examples.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
My wishlist. I don't care about dubs, but being able to own things on DVD would be nice. These are in no particular order, either.

1. Natsume Yuujinchou. I love this series for watching at the end of a busy, stressful day. It just chills me out. I own the manga, but I'd love to own the anime rather than have to get it from CR.

2. The rest of XXXholic, as I like the first season and want to own the rest. Although the person who designed the UK DVDs boxes of the first season parts should be shot.

3. Nodame Cantabile. One of my favourite shows.manga of all time, and probably the no. 1 series I'd like to see get licensed. Heck, I'd be over the moon if the manga was completed in English, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

4. Lovely Complex. I enjoyed the premise of this show, and whilst it looked like it was done on the cheap, I enjoyed it enough to want to own it.

5. Piano no Mori. I never expected to like this movie as much as I did. It's sweet, heartwarming and makes you feel all warm inside. I would totally buy this in a heartbeat.

6. Skip Beat. Other than the non-ending, this is a great show that never failed to make me laugh, and I would definitely buy it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
Quick reminder that this topic was also dealing with dubs as well as licences.

Yes...I am aware....I did make this topic. This topic isn't strickly about series getting both licensed and dubbed. It is also about shows getting licensed in general.

EricDent wrote:
Emma still has no dub, though the price has gone down a bit.
It was still licensed though. Better then nothing, yes?

EricDent wrote:
Panty & Stocking has not been licensed that I know of.
Yes it has. Funimation licensed it in the Spring (there is an ANN article about it). It is due out sometime in 2012.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Seconding, thirding, whater Banner of the Stars III, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Dennou Coil, Mononoke, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Bakemonogatari and propably a whole bunch of others too. The second season of Sengoku Basara would be nice too.

Other than those, there's a whole bunch of Super Robot shows that I'd love to be able to put on my shelf:
Shin Getter Robo VS Neo Getter Robo
GaoGaiGar FINAL

the Mazinkaiser movie
Koutetsushin Jeeg
Gaiking: Legend of Daikū-maryū
Seijuushi Bismarck

and most of all, Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z-Hen!

A foolish hope, I know, but a man has to dream!

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13