• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kotono Mitsuishi Leads New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
If you think the source material is bad then frankly you wouldn't care if this series had a huge budget and had the complete original cast when told that the series would much more closely follow the source material that you yourself heavily imply that you don't care for in the first place.

Any series is as good as it's worst element (Animation, Story telling, direction, music). I am not saying that the manga story is bad (as I have not read it), I am just wondering if it will be enough of a difference to sell copies of the discs (like in Jojo's) or make the manga sales have any significant increase.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
solarsun wrote:
I like the character designs. They are very much influenced by the manga (which is what it should be).

What I am a little miffed about is the fact that they took the manga differences for moon, mercury, and venus and ran with them BUT Jupiter and Mars do not have those changes.

Jupiter: gets herself a belt much like venus's chain. Live action did this right

Mars: has a little jewel at the top of her skirt at the V where the skirt meets the top. Again live action did this right.

These are not in the character design announcement. Mars has always been my favorite and Jupiter always been close to me (brown hair, 5'10" woman is what I am out of the senshi I resemble her the most). If you're going to let the manga influence stuff, let it influence ALL of it, not just some parts.

Jupiter and Mars originally didn't have their accessories in the manga, but were present in some of the concept art in the Materials Collection in one of the artbooks. When PGSM was created, they were given to them. During PGSM, Naoko updated the manga for a re-release by touching up some artwork, modernizing some of it (turning Mercury's floppy disc into a CD), changed Moon's Moon Stick into the PGSM one, and drew the jewel and belt on them. The new English manga that was released here is the re-release that came out during PGSM.

So Mars' jewel and Jupiter's belt were not present originally. Venus always had her belt, and Mercury was always sleeves. And with the newer "perfect editions" of the manga that came out in Japan recently, Naoko went back to the original and took away Jupiter's belt and Mars' jewel.

Though, that aside, I still wish they included them... Especially Mars' jewel. In her civilian form, she wore a red pendant, which turned into that jewel when she transformed.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
*Sailor Jupiter is Yukiko from Persona 4/Agnes from Bravely Default

Jupiter will have more of a Ryuko Matoi or Karen from Code Geass type of voice.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
I would say that the big IF is if a two decades old story is still worth your while nowadays, like i.e. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. After Madoka and Kill la Kill (which was a magical girl show on steroids) I think it is hard for most people (as in, not die hard SM fans) to not be bored to tears with the same old.

If you think the source material is bad then frankly you wouldn't care if this series had a huge budget and had the complete original cast when told that the series would much more closely follow the source material that you yourself heavily imply that you don't care for in the first place.

How exactly is the manga 'same old' relative to other Magical Girl stories? Especially in its final arc?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How exactly is the manga 'same old' relative to other Magical Girl stories? Especially in its final arc?

Mangamuscle already said he hasn't even read the series
Quote:
I am not saying that the manga story is bad (as I have not read it),

So it is a case of openly complaining about something that one has not even read.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

As I ahave said before, I have not read the sailor moon manga (so I suppose I am not a die hard fan), please tell me why it is so awesome it will guarantee at the very least high ratings. I did read the FMA manga and boy it is clear as day why brotherhood was superior story wise, I could explain that in one single post, can you?

Do you have any insider information that says for sure it will go into the final arc? I mean, even with their sky high disc sales I am not sure if the Jojo anime series will make it into it's latest arc, I am not even sure if they will make the arc after this one.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Do you have any insider information

This is hilarious, coming from you.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

As I ahave said before, I have not read the sailor moon manga (so I suppose I am not a die hard fan), please tell me why it is so awesome it will guarantee at the very least high ratings. I did read the FMA manga and boy it is clear as day why brotherhood was superior story wise, I could explain that in one single post, can you?

Do you have any insider information that says for sure it will go into the final arc? I mean, even with their sky high disc sales I am not sure if the Jojo anime series will make it into it's latest arc, I am not even sure if they will make the arc after this one.

Kodansha also has rights to a little series called Attack on Titan, you might not have heard of it or read it but it seemed to go over well with the fans and increased sales with the manga when the anime adaptation was released.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Do you have any insider information

This is hilarious, coming from you.

Coming summer I will be the one laughing out, HARD!

FenixFiesta wrote:
Kodansha also has rights to a little series called Attack on Titan, you might not have heard of it or read it but it seemed to go over well with the fans and increased sales with the manga when the anime adaptation was released.

So, the reason the new sailor moon anime will totally rock is because kodansha also publishes Attack on Titan *twitch* O-o-o-o-k, I wil take your word on it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
Jupiter will have more of a Ryuko Matoi or Karen from Code Geass type of voice.

Oh I know, I just thought of those two roles off the top of my head.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
5 bucks says that no matter how much people pester Funimation this never gets licensed beyond the stream, purely because either Toei gets picky or Takeuchi still doesn't want it to be treated the way the older series were.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

For one thing, Usagi develops a self-awareness about herself and her role as Sailor Moon that remains relatively rare for Magical Girl heroines. She goes beyond questioning her ability to succeed, and questions her ideals; her motivations, in a way that ties into the story eventually eschewing the conventional nature of the battle between good and evil. That the Sailor Soldiers' greater enemy is the cyclical nature of their battle, rather than the enemies they confront in such battles also sets it apart. I feel like going in more deeply than that would spoil the story, so I'll focus on something a bit more...sociological; until a relatively short while ago, it had been exceedingly common for gay characters to die at the end of their stories; the natural result of their forbidden natures, their forbidden relationships. So it's worth noting that Uranus and Neptune were an early instance of a loving, supporting gay couple that got a happy ending; that weren't bumped off in the end. Hell; Haruka's still one of the most 'out' gay characters in anime.
solarsun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
#810558 wrote:
solarsun wrote:
I like the character designs. They are very much influenced by the manga (which is what it should be).

What I am a little miffed about is the fact that they took the manga differences for moon, mercury, and venus and ran with them BUT Jupiter and Mars do not have those changes.

Jupiter: gets herself a belt much like venus's chain. Live action did this right

Mars: has a little jewel at the top of her skirt at the V where the skirt meets the top. Again live action did this right.

These are not in the character design announcement. Mars has always been my favorite and Jupiter always been close to me (brown hair, 5'10" woman is what I am out of the senshi I resemble her the most). If you're going to let the manga influence stuff, let it influence ALL of it, not just some parts.

Jupiter and Mars originally didn't have their accessories in the manga, but were present in some of the concept art in the Materials Collection in one of the artbooks. When PGSM was created, they were given to them. During PGSM, Naoko updated the manga for a re-release by touching up some artwork, modernizing some of it (turning Mercury's floppy disc into a CD), changed Moon's Moon Stick into the PGSM one, and drew the jewel and belt on them. The new English manga that was released here is the re-release that came out during PGSM.

So Mars' jewel and Jupiter's belt were not present originally. Venus always had her belt, and Mercury was always sleeves. And with the newer "perfect editions" of the manga that came out in Japan recently, Naoko went back to the original and took away Jupiter's belt and Mars' jewel.

Though, that aside, I still wish they included them... Especially Mars' jewel. In her civilian form, she wore a red pendant, which turned into that jewel when she transformed.

Well in the english second edition manga AND the original Tokyopop first edition volume 1 has mars with her little jewel so you are wrong in that regard. Jupiter's belt did not show up till later and was put in between the Toykopop edition and the kodansha edition so you are right in that regard. I looked at both my editions to check. Either way I want them both to have their little accessories like everybody else I'm HOPING what people are saying is true (that these are still under work and can change) so we get the little accessories.
Usagi04

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this! Smile At least one of the original VA's are back, so that should be nice.
D288

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As I have said before, I have not read the sailor moon manga-

So you're going in and criticizing without prior knowledge?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14