• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Oreimo, Garden of Sinners on DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
When I post here and tell you that I'm thankful and I appreciate the work of the people that I buy from, that's what I mean. If you're going to quote someone you shouldn't take them out of context just so you can promote your view(s). My agreeing with takacsh and blazevincent has NOTHING to do with Aniplex's pricing model.

My apologies I must have misread and quoted you out of context. Embarassed Not my intention and not my intention to point a finger at anybody.

My intention was to reference these same lines that I keep coming across about being grateful and thankful in the forums. As though this has anything to do with bringing anime over to NA or anyone's business model. I don't like the implication that if you are somehow displeased with the product (pricing, packaging, extras, etc) then you are selfish and instead should have the exact opposite attitude "thankful". I try to ignore the more silly posts, but sometimes when people try to tell me what I should feel or they start lumping people together or they are just being mean in their comments I get an itch to say something. Perhaps I got carried away with my ire. Once again my apologies for misquoting you.

Quote:
But it does have everything to do with the current mindset of fandom that posts here. Of course everyone can "express their dissatisfaction, simply don't buy, and take their money elsewhere", but honestly, if the entire sum of their dissatisfaction is expressed in the most childish simple minded terms of "no dub = no sale, f* U aniPlex, etc., etc., ad nauseum, I just have to wonder what exactly is the point of their continuing to be allowed and viewable?

I agree that some people are out of hand with their wants and expectations or how they express it. But really, when you say, "I just have to wonder what exactly is the point of their continuing to be allowed and viewable?" you want to censor what people say? Ok, I can see why you feel that way but I don't necessarily agree with it. The same could be said for the people who defend anime pricing (they can be annoying too) or for that matter anyone who engages in heated debates (they all have their share of annoying comments too).
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Sold!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
So let me get this straight? You bought Samurai X: Reflections or the RK Movie and don't feel you where ripped off? Getting Reflections for free is a ripoff because it takes up space on my shelf. If someone wants me to put Reflections on my shelf than they need to pay me.
Considering I actually liked Reflection (Yes, I'm very, very, very well aware of all the hate it gets the very second it is mentioned, and acknowledge I'm in an extremely small minority.), I don't feel ripped off. Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection is my 10th favorite anime, so why would I feel ripped off for buying the Blu-ray for an anime I love?

Okay, you didn't like it, I can easily see why, mainly due to that very controversial ending which is very easily one of the most controversial endings in the history of anime. However, for those who actually liked it, and felt it was worth the money, they don't feel ripped off.

(On a side-note, the other Rurouni Kenshin BD is Trust & Betrayal of course. I have yet to get the movie to complete the Blu-ray collection.)
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't see any reason why this show couldn't have been given a normally priced BD release as well.
Restrictions from Aniplex of Japan is my guess as to why we can't get that BD now. While I can't exactly see why it could be reverse-importation fears considering Garden of Sinners completely sold out nearly a year ago in Japan, it's probably restrictions imposed upon from Aniplex in Japan.

Aniplex USA can't do whatever they want without going through Aniplex of Japan first. Aniplex Japan can make things harder for them. We've seen in the past through multiple different companies here how hard the Japanese companies can be to deal with. It took FUNimation A LOT for example just to secure the rights to the Dragon Boxes because Toei Animation wanted them to remain in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear, but I think I'll still wait for an affordable BD set for KnK. I've saw the first two films already a couple of years back and thought they were really gorgeous, and Blu-ray would really be the only way to appreciate them on my awesome new HDTV.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Bloody hell, its DVD only eh....

Although if it sold out in Japan already, whats the "reverse importation" fear here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Restrictions from Aniplex of Japan is my guess as to why we can't get that BD now.

That's just an absurd shell game of an excuse. You're deflecting criticism from Aniplex by blaming another branch of Aniplex. In fact, I never even specifically criticized "Aniplex USA". I criticized Aniplex in general making this argument even more moot.

Also, if you're going to just pluck out one single point that you think you can refute and ignore the other half dozen points...well you can't really pretend your argument has a leg to stand on.
lem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...My apologies I must have misread and quoted you out of context. Embarassed Not my intention and not my intention to point a finger at anybody.

it's not a big deal, I was just sayin'. thank you for the courtesy though.

Quote:
My intention was to reference these same lines that I keep coming across about being grateful and thankful in the forums. As though this has anything to do with bringing anime over to NA or anyone's business model.

and I agree, I feel the two are apples and oranges.

Quote:
I don't like the implication that if you are somehow displeased with the product (pricing, packaging, extras, etc) then you are selfish and instead should have the exact opposite attitude "thankful". I try to ignore the more silly posts, but sometimes when people try to tell me what I should feel or they start lumping people together or they are just being mean in their comments I get an itch to say something.

completely understandable, and pretty much the same reason why I also had this "itch" to say something.

Quote:
I agree that some people are out of hand with their wants and expectations or how they express it. But really, when you say, "I just have to wonder what exactly is the point of their continuing to be allowed and viewable?" you want to censor what people say?

no. not at all. not my intent to see posts censored. but, just like everything else that gets moderated though, e.g., attacks against other forum users and the professional reviewers, trolling, soapboxing, etc., it's something that I think could be addressed (the redundant, obnoxious one liner excuse for a comment).

Quote:
Ok, I can see why you feel that way but I don't necessarily agree with it. The same could be said for the people who defend anime pricing (they can be annoying too) or for that matter anyone who engages in heated debates (they all have their share of annoying comments too).

I can't defend anime pricing and or Aniplex. And I don't want to. I can buy Garden of the Sinners this time around though, and I will pre-order it as soon as it is available.

ikillchicken wrote:

Well call me crazy but I still believe that a business should treat its customers right. I don't understand this bizarre fetishization of business where making the absolute maximum amount of money becomes the be all end all directive.

you're crazy. "bizarre fetishization of business...blah blah blah". huh? Rolling Eyes and a 100 bucks or at least enough to buy you the next release of Garden of Sinners whichever that amount may be, says that you will take that personally, or refer to it as ad hominem, non sequitur, and or some other perfectly logical thing and continue on with this until the cows come home. sheesh.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Now there is someone who is very informed. Thank you for elaborating it better.

It seems like people who don't know or care about how the industry works always complain about everything.

Except that Aniplex plan is going to cause Stagnation like it has in Japan. The current anime model in Japan rewards pandering to otaku and not quality. I don't think that's the business model that needs to be brought over to America.

The only logical solution to that would be to NOT offer these premium sets at all to the North American crowd, meaning that most popular shows would never see the light of day on this side of the Pacific (like Megiddo accurately pointed out, a Baccano-type of release isn't always profitable). If you think that's a better solution then that's your prerogative, but as an individual I like having the option to buy those premium sets, or wait for an eventual regular edition a couple of years down the road.

@Charred Knight
Where is your proof that Aniplex is going to cause stagnation here? How come their limited editions sell out faster than other companies' except NIS? We're selling our BD/DVD, both limited and regular editions, at lowest price possible yet never match their sales figure in terms of quantity and speed. Who is more stagnant, us or Japanese?

If you want to blame Aniplex for stagnation in Japan, then blame other Japanese companies too: Bandai Visual, King Record, ASCII Media, JVC, Geneon, and many others. They all put out Otaku-centric show more or less.

What is your definition of quality show? Is quality something that appeals to mainstream audience only?
Mainstream is important, but their viewing habit and taste never support niche titles. Otaku pandering is generalized remark when non-otaku fans also spend a lot of money on their favorite anime DVD/BD of their favorite titles. For example, Japanese fans buy expensive Slam Dunk DVD box set even though he's not anime otaku.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
and a 100 bucks [...] says that you will take that personally, or refer to it as ad hominem, non sequitur, and or some other perfectly logical thing and continue on with this until the cows come home. sheesh.

Shocked

Dear god man...I genuinely don't know how to even respond to this. You cannot seriously have just complained that I keep using logic to refute your claims.

Do you really not understand that the reason I keep pointing out logical flaws in the things you say is that the things you keep saying are logically flawed! If you'd like for me to stop finding logical flaws in your statements then stop being wrong. Rolling Eyes
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
Bloody hell, its DVD only eh....

Although if it sold out in Japan already, whats the "reverse importation" fear here.

Totally agree. KnK is sold out over there. They should give us another BD release.

Either way holding out for another BD release of KnK
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken, I agree it makes no sense to complain about logical fallacies being pointed out in his argument. However, lem using logical fallacies in his argument doesn't invalidate his position. At the core I think this is a debate over subjective preferences about when it's appropriate to complain, and so you are right for yourself and he is for himself at least insofar as he's consistent in my opinion.

There is emotion on both sides concerning this issue and I don't think we can really do anything but agree to disagree.

I disagree with your application of the word "force" in the context of being forced to choose between the 3 options you don't find pleasant. I might prefer to have a mansion, but I'm not "forced" not to have one. If I chose I could find a way to earn the money to get one. But what about if I want something that doesn't exist? I have no choice to own Claymore Season 2. While people could perhaps make it possible, no one is under an obligation to do so.

This is in contrast to something like a government mandate. If I don't comply I will be fined, and if I don't pay the fine they will pursue me and imprison me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
At the core I think this is a debate over subjective preferences about when it's appropriate to complain, and so you are right for yourself and he is for himself at least insofar as he's consistent in my opinion.

If it is subjective then he hardly has any business telling me I'm wrong to complain which is exactly what he's been doing. (Conversely, I never said he had to also have a problem with this). Playing the subjectivity card here really only favours me.

Quote:
I disagree with your application of the word "force" in the context of being forced to choose between the 3 options you don't find pleasant. I might prefer to have a mansion, but I'm not "forced" not to have one.

That isn't really analogous. You're not "forced" to not have a mansion but you are "forced" to either pay a fortune for one or do without one. Those are your only two options. That was the point I'm making. Whether you want to call that being forced is pretty meaningless.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Restrictions from Aniplex of Japan is my guess as to why we can't get that BD now.

That's just an absurd shell game of an excuse. You're deflecting criticism from Aniplex by blaming another branch of Aniplex. In fact, I never even specifically criticized "Aniplex USA". I criticized Aniplex in general making this argument even more moot.

Also, if you're going to just pluck out one single point that you think you can refute and ignore the other half dozen points...well you can't really pretend your argument has a leg to stand on.

He/she gave a possible reason why R1 was not given a reasonably priced BD version. Whether you believe it's a reason that's true is another matter, but it is within the realm of possibility.

It's pretty damn easy to blame the Japanese when we don't get certain things in R1 land since usually that's the case.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
He/she gave a possible reason why R1 was not given a reasonably priced BD version. Whether you believe it's a reason that's true is another matter, but it is within the realm of possibility.

I have no idea what point you're making here.

I'm not arguing over whether his point is true. His point is completely meaningless even if it is true. Aniplex America is just a sub-branch of Aniplex. It is all essentially the same company. Hence, shifting the blame from one part of Aniplex to another really doesn't change anything.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wow, I feel sorry for people who got lied to by Aniplex that the boxset was gonna be an LE. They got conned. That's why you don't let anime companies charge R2 prices on you like that.

I don't think you are quite comprehending the concept of Limited Edition.

Tsukento wrote:
While we're not entitled to it, that still doesn't mean it's perfectly okay to skimp out on a Blu-ray release when Japan itself has one. It's clearly just Aniplex trying to prevent reverse importing, while denying the western audience a release. It's bad enough they go to the lengths of charging Japanese prices for their western releases. At the end of the day, you're still getting an inferior product when a superior one exists; just not in your region.

Not being permitted to release it is not "skimping out" and yes they are trying to prevent reverse importing. While KnK got box office money which most anime don't, see the Anime Economy articles for why Japanese disc prices are so high and why they are so desperate not to lose sales. There is no way that an identical but cheap version of something like this would come out so close to the Japanese release.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
It's strange to find that the reason considering the Japanese release is long since sold out. It's a wonder why we aren't getting the BD, but at least we're getting the movies.

They quite probably intend to do a cheaper standard edition re-release in Japan down the road - which will probably still make more money than the equivalent in US prices. 5cm/s wasn't permitted a blu-ray release outside Japan until after the second release over there.

superdry wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
Considering the eventual pricing for KnK, there's already a (probably similar) boxset released by Kaze France, with a MSRP of 80 Euros. So yeah, it's probably safe to assume that these will go for at least 100$ (MSRP). Which I think is perfectly fair, btw. These are some top quality movies that deserves quality releases.

Honestly that should be the BLURAY price. There is no legit reason why a bluray version should cost more than 10 US dollars EXTRA over the dvd version.

Licensing costs, replication, etc. There are multitude of reasons.

But, $100 MSRP for KnK...if that was the case isn't bad considering you are getting seven movies in one package that could easily go for $20-$25 a movie if released seperately (and it was released seperately first in Japan...so lucky us we get a boxset).

The French singles went for $40. See what I said at the time.

ss-hikaru wrote:
I've heard really great things about Kara no Kyoukai and it sounds like it would be best viewed on Blu-ray but then I realised that I'm in a different Blu-ray region so wouldn't be able to import and play one anyway Anime hyper

Aniplex license = potential Siren license? *hopes*

Japanese BDs are almost always region free - they aren't overly concerned about a few grey exports. The BDs sold in the US were direct imports of the Japanese discs with a translation sheet added for the booklets. Thus far I think Aniplex USA's BDs are usually region free too, although their DVDs are not.

GATSU wrote:
Man, don't you love when companies lie? Aniplex explicitly said that LE of KnK was going to be the only home vid release of the series. Rolling Eyes

[citation needed]

duomaxwelldoesddr wrote:
Although I got the OST for the 7th movie when I imported the limited edition of it (only a few months before the LE blurays were announced), I would love to collect the rest and I'm sure many others would as well.

If it is just the CDs you are after then they are included with the French box set (which I was amazed at considering it is only double the price of one of the single volumes).

GATSU wrote:
And I definitely wouldn't have bought the first volume of Madoka if I knew it was streaming on Crunchyroll. Aniplex knows this, which is why it's trying to collect before enough people catch on.

Really? You think they're hiding the streams that they authorised because they're afraid people who are otherwise willing to spring for the fancy LEs are suddenly just going to say "nah, the streams will do". That's ignoring the fact that they are certainly aware that a large segment of their audience has seen it already anyway, long before any legal streams.

Chagen46 wrote:
bahamutzero89 wrote:
I'm glad you guys only get the inferior DVDs of KnK and not the BDs which I once bought for 700$.^^

Was there really a need to brag and get all holier-than-thou?

Well, that is rather a cornerstone of the whole business. You can pay a fair amount to see something in the cinema only once, but you are paying for an experience that people who wait for it to come out on TV or DVD will not have, sitting on their own in front of a small telly. Why do people queue up overnight to be one of the first to see the latest blockbuster? Because they want to see it before everyone else. Why does anyone buy the numbered limited edition over a cheaper version? Because they want that exclusivity. Why buy something now when it will be a lot cheaper in a year's time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11