• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Publish Sailor Moon, Sailor V Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeriven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, such awesome news. Hopefully the anime won't be too far behind, but even if it isn't, I'm incredibly happy to have a chance to buy the Sailor Moon manga. I think I had one or two volumes of the Mixx comics that I happened to stumble across ages ago at some store, but goodness knows where those things are now...

Plus, my best friend, who is the biggest Sailor Moon fan I know (and is partially responsible for making me an anime fan) is going to flip her lid when she hears about this. Razz
sealightbreeze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
OMG! OMG! Best news EVER!
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
First the Utena DVD Set, and now this! WOW!
The Classics are back!!!
Can't wait to read these! Very Happy

All we need is for Cardcapter Sakura released in BluRay and then there would be much rejoicing Smile
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
And preorders are available! Onward my Valkyries!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Don't wanna be the killjoy on Kodansha's breakout party...................... but these are grim times in the manga publishing industry. With Borders liquidating, that pretty much just leaves the choices to Barnes & Noble or online stores for the majority of the public.
B&N isn't as enthusiastic about manga as Border was, while online stores don't really get the foot-traffic, impulse buys, or public awareness that brick-and-mortar stores could provide. Especially for a tween-centric publication like Sailor Moon whose girls don't have credit cards and have to rely on their parents to be able to buy stuff. :

Well....
- keep in mind that tweens who watched it when it debuted back in 1995 are now in their late 20's and 30's [and have $$$$$], and many are still fans of the series. Then there's kids who watched the anime's return in the early 00's who are now in their late teens/early 20's and paying outrageous prices for TPop's old editions on Ebay.

Well, I did say nostalgia fans will pick it up. This time, I was more referring to new fans like what had made Sailor Moon more successful in its heyday. Confused

Paploo wrote:

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I imagine at cons you'll see lots of Naruto/Bleach kiddies giving wierd stares to adults squealing over Kodansha's new edition this fall Smile This book has a lot of nostalgia here, and I imagine it will draw out a lot of fans who've been out of anime/manga lately.

Hahaha, imagine if kids suddenly saw a phalanx of oba-sans dressed up in sailor fuku?! Laughing

Paploo wrote:

- Kodasha, being brand-new, dodged the bullet of the whole Borders situation. Borders deathknell is a blow to the GN industry, but there's still a lot of successful titles, and I imgaine SMoon will do decently. I imagine they're working with more retailers than just Borders, which leads us to......

Though it's doubtful how many books Kodansha will ship to Borders in the first place, while knowing Borders may never pay them back. Also, there's a chance by the release date, Borders may have already ceased to exist, so it wouldn't matter.

Paploo wrote:

-Sailor Moon was biiiiiiiig in comic shops- outselling Aquaman even [really, the comic floated around Diamond's top 100, in the area where DC/Marvel's lower tier titles flopped around at the time]. I imagine many retailers recall what at hit it was and will be stocking it, and again, they cater to that older clientel who knows to search this stuff out at places outside shopping malls.

I remember.
Though many comic shops have soured on manga after manga have left them for the bookstores. When manga largely stopped selling in comic shops, many comic shop owners have left the arena, and manga buyers have left comic shops.

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Oh god yeah. I have a friend I grew up with who now has a daughter named Serenity. She did this because she ADORED Sailor Moon, apparently more than me. (I would never name my daughter... Serenity.* The girl is about four now, but already jabbers on about Sailor Moon via the DIC vhs tapes her mom still has. That girl will be getting this comic via her mom or her aunti me. I also have one other friend who named his son Darien (I asked if it was because of Sailor Moon, and he confirmed it, but don't tell his wife.)

Are they setting up the kids to be together? Like it was their Moonlight Destiny from the past? Laughing

PetrifiedJello wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Who, if the kids like it, will show it to THEIR friends...thus opening up a whole new generation of Sailor Moon addicts.

I don't believe the appeal of Sailor Moon is going to capture the hearts of people (okay, girls) who are now engrossed by the undead chasing their next dinner (or dessert?) shaped as the hot-looking Kristen Stewart.

Not saying it can't happen, but there's a reason why entertainment gets better over time: people tire of the stuff their parents enjoyed.

Sadly, I kinda agree with you, though I didn't want to mention it. Laughing
sealightbreeze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
wonder if they will re-release the anime
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
pretty awesome,

my older sister grew up watching Sailor moon and reading her friends mangas, which led to me sitting down with her watching marathons of Sailor moon episodes on tapes.

She always wanted some of the mangas so I know what she can get for her b-day.....i'll read them first thou
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
And preorders are available! Onward my Valkyries!

And so is this! Anime smile + sweatdrop
manga1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Many finacial experts see borders folding by years end, its sad because it was one of the first book stores I went to, they just cant make ends meet, but on the other hand there are tons of differant gamming shops and bookstores that pop up all the time in the they come and go though.

The electronic is the way of the future, however electronic stored media is not like having a hard copy book that will last longer then an electric device its stored on and as for her popularity, the fanbase of anime is just as big as its always been, and you know how popular sailor moon is if you ever visit a con there are tons of cosplayers from the series, just as many as videogames have.
There are more and more cons popping up all the time.
This will be a sure hit for at least a small segment.
Also, lets not rule out an iphone or ebook version being brought out.

signed Jeremy manga1
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
I don't understand what the big deal is about Borders. I've maybe been to it twice my whole life. I buy all my books through an actual bookseller, be it a local independent bookstore (hey, you can get manga through them too, and it's good to support local businesses), Barnes and Noble, and Booksamillion.

I honestly never gave Borders a dime of my manga budget, and don't believe them to be the main drive behind manga sales. If a person wants to buy a new manga, I would hope they would have the brains to figure out that Borders is not the only place to buy books.

Borders has be obviously poorly managed for the last 5 years at least with how many times it has been in the financial news (and seriously, it's tricky when you have to balance a good book selection to compete with B&N AND dvds and the like to compete with other stores). Other bookstores are making it by fine, contrary to everyone claiming that the sky is falling... wait no... print media is dead.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this! Very Happy I moved late last year; one of the things I did was finally getting rid of my Mixx comicbooks that were collecting dust in my closet...good reason too I guess. Laughing (I do have the 2003 Japanese reprints of Sailormoon Vol 01 through 06 and both Sailor V volumes, but since I never finished collecting them this is great!)

I really hope this means an anime re-release (hopefully including Sailor Stars!) is on its way too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is good news. Looking forward to it. Though I can recommend it I wonder how many college kids would actually read it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess it must be doing well for Kodansha- while they've yet to post their other preorders to Amazon, they've already posted the November shipping Sailor Moon and Sailor V Vol.2's..... both series vol.1's are in the top 25 manga now, and the vol.2's are around the top 50. Sailor V is based on the 2004 edition of the series, so it'll be just 2 volumes, so it'll all be out by Nov. Should make for nice X-mas presents.

http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-Moon-2-Naoko-Takeuchi/dp/1935429752/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301447014&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Codename-Sailor-V-Naoko-Takeuchi/dp/1935429787/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301447014&sr=1-1

Can't wait to see how well they perform in comic shops, and curious if they'll make the NYTimes lists......
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
I would preorder them now, but the shipping costs to the u.k. from amazon.com are expensive, so I'll wait for them to show up on amazon.co.uk, though I'm actually hoping my local comic shop will get them in so I can buy at least the first volume from there to support them, that is to say I may not preorder at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10