• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
https://pastebin.com/2wvHAtaS

Author's throughts on the Arc, if anyone's interested. Credits to go to reddit user /u/Going_Seafoam

https://pastebin.com/vN25gMNx <- Same user's going thoughts on the series...sorta. (They went to trouble of writing a wall of text, so i thought "why not." Razz)
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
OMG that was such a beautiful and satisfying end to the season. I want season 5 now.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
A great ending for the season and the story hooks for more potential content has me very intrigued. The reviews, while I disagreed with at some points, have been enjoyable to read and this thread has been pleasant to partake in. Season 5 or we riot! Laughing
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
as a team-up between them to defeat Sairaorg would have been satisfying and meaningful,

It would have been satisfying, but not only is Rias not on the same level as both Issei and Sairaorg, had she been eliminated she match would have ended. That's why Regulus didn't shank her in the first place... So yeah, it's annoying but and the end of the day, they just wanted the match of their lives and having her there would have defeated that purpose.

Quote:
Thankfully, that means that Issei has entirely dropped the “you hurt my friends” shtick that was awkwardly used last episode to get him fired up

Knowing what happened in the light novel, i would have probably said "awkwardly explained" instead. Cause he was under the Juggernaut's drive Curse a la Naruto during his Rasenshuriken training aka pushing himself too much + negative thoughts = kyuubi comes out.

Quote:
my disappointment about the lighter use of fan service

Lastly, if we get another season, which is likely...get ready to barely see it. Probably an ED like this car wash one and some eye catchers, cause aside from that... Neutral Well, they can shoehorn anime original content like they did on the early half with Rias and co in the onsen, but that was because they barely appeared in the Kyoto arc and fans had to get something... Well, let's hope that at least they can produce the episodes well enough, cause in case anyone's wondering why the quality of this ep was a bit iffy...look at those Credits.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Goddamn that was so beautifully amazing. Sairaorg I love you so much man.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Where exactly does Issei fall in terms of the power rankings in the demon world? they mentioned previously that the winner of this match would go on the professional circuit (not sure if that exact term was used) but the major leagues rating games that Phoenix is in (who he beat in season 1 before even getting his powered up form, how is he not already qualified?). He also got promoted from low ranking demon to mid demon.

But it seems like the leaders of the demons, angels and fallen angels have relied pretty heavily on Issei and his team to solve some pretty major problems like with Albion, the chaos brigade, Loki etc. If they are considered lower ranking up until now then what were all the high ranking demons doing during those times of crisis? It's like if the army kept sending a squad of new recruits to take down rogue governments who have nukes while the special forces guys stayed home.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
as a team-up between them to defeat Sairaorg would have been satisfying and meaningful,

It would have been satisfying, but not only is Rias not on the same level as both Issei and Sairaorg, had she been eliminated she match would have ended. That's why Regulus didn't shank her in the first place... So yeah, it's annoying but and the end of the day, they just wanted the match of their lives and having her there would have defeated that purpose.

Quote:
Thankfully, that means that Issei has entirely dropped the “you hurt my friends” shtick that was awkwardly used last episode to get him fired up

Knowing what happened in the light novel, i would have probably said "awkwardly explained" instead. Cause he was under the Juggernaut's drive Curse a la Naruto during his Rasenshuriken training aka pushing himself too much + negative thoughts = kyuubi comes out.

Quote:

Lastly, if we get another season, which is likely...get ready to barely see it. Probably an ED like this car wash one and some eye catchers, cause aside from that... Neutral Well, they can shoehorn anime original content like they did on the early half with Rias and co in the onsen, but that was because they barely appeared in the Kyoto arc and fans had to get something... Well, let's hope that at least they can produce the episodes well enough, cause in case anyone's wondering why the quality of this ep was a bit iffy...look at those Credits.

from the looks of things and from the light novel perspective, it seems that the series is pretty much going down the shonen action route ala negima & uq holder while slightly toning down the uber fanservice! cant really blame the author for doing that considering on the minor backlash some shinmai mao no testament fans are giving its author for making the later volumes 100% FULL BLOWN ERO NOVELS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

from the looks of things and from the light novel perspective, it seems that the series is pretty much going down the shonen action route ala negima & uq holder while slightly toning down the uber fanservice! cant really blame the author for doing that considering on the minor backlash some shinmai mao no testament fans are giving its author for making the later volumes 100% FULL BLOWN ERO NOVELS!

Well the light novel spoiler[is actually finished already IIRC but I heard about a sequel being made but I haven't gotten any official news on that yet]
ZeroWX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Rías couldn't participate in the fight not just because of the power levels, Regulus Rex Leather Rex balance breaker makes it's wearer inmune to all types of projectiles, same for the lion form, hence Rias was a death weight during all of the fight (Regulus could have eliminated Rias if he so desired, but didn't because Sairaorg wanted to fight Issei with all his power)
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well the light novel spoiler[is actually finished already IIRC but I heard about a sequel being made but I haven't gotten any official news on that yet]

To answer @jr240483, it's more like he just went back to his roots. His first series (SLASH/DOG) was also pure shounen. He only used ecchi on DxD cause his editor told him, so it would bring more people in. With a stable fanbase, he doesn't need to rely on ecchi as much.

And to answer @GhostSD, no the LN's aren't over yet. I don't blame you for not knowing, since it was explained on the Afterword of volume 25 and that's not even fan tl'd yet. But the gist of it is that Ishibumi pulled an Index. He didn't want new readers who became interested due to the anime, to suddenly find themselves faced with 25+ volumes of something to read, so he clicked the rest button. DxD will now continue under the name Shin Highschool DxD. Volume 1 comes at in a few weeks and is the direct continuation of volume 25.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

He was always more of a shonen action/tokusatsu fan/autor. From what i remember in a old interview was the editor that ask him to go as far as he could with ecchi stuff but within the limits of a shonen LN/manga.
Now he just is returning to his roots.

DxD is more as a action shonen with some ecchi stuff.

Novels like Shinmai Maou no Testament and Masou Gakuen HxH are aimed at a older Seinen audience and are very close to R-18 novels.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

He was always more of a shonen action/tokusatsu fan/autor. From what i remember in a old interview was the editor that ask him to go as far as he could with ecchi stuff but within the limits of a shonen LN/manga.
Now he just is returning to his roots.

DxD is more as a action shonen with some ecchi stuff.

Novels like Shinmai Maou no Testament and Masou Gakuen HxH are aimed at a older Seinen audience and are very close to R-18 novels.

In spite of this, High School DxD is one of the few Harem series I know of that goes full on Polyamory (in the realistic sense) and that is a very big achievement in its own.
James S.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Where exactly does Issei fall in terms of the power rankings in the demon world?

As of now he's between a high class devil (Raiser) and an ultimate class devil (Tannin) in strength though that increases later on in the series.

Quote:
they mentioned previously that the winner of this match would go on the professional circuit (not sure if that exact term was used) but the major leagues rating games that Phoenix is in (who he beat in season 1 before even getting his powered up form, how is he not already qualified?).

Where did you get that from? Though that may be due to a bunch of stuff that got cut out from BorN not being properly explained in Hero. The Rating Game matches between all the up and comming Young Devils is for everyone from a certain age range (18-25) and is supposed to be a preview of what they are capable of before they're officially allowed to participate in the Rating Games.

There were supposed to be games between Rias Gremory, Sona Sitri, Sairaorg Bael, Seekvaira Agares, Zephyrdol Glasya-Labolas, and Diadora Astaroth. Rias vs Sona was supposed to be the first one, but that was cut out due to the director from BorN wanting to compress 3 volumes into a season and add his own fanfiction at the end against the wishes of the author, Ichiei Ishibumi, and some staff. Sairaorg vs Zephyrdol, Seekvaira vs Diadora, and Rias vs Diadora were shown in Born, while Rias vs Sairaorg happened in Hero with Seekvaira vs Sona happening in the background as Saji explained in either episode 9 or 10.

Of course, with Zephyrdol pulling a Raiser and losing all his spirit after getting punched by Sairaorg and Diadora getting killed off while betraying the Alliance and joining Khaos Brigade. There weren't that many exhibition matches left which was why Rias vs Sairaorg got pushed up.

Quote:
He also got promoted from low ranking demon to mid demon.

But it seems like the leaders of the demons, angels and fallen angels have relied pretty heavily on Issei and his team to solve some pretty major problems like with Albion, the chaos brigade, Loki etc.

Issei, along with Kiba and Akeno, getting promoted from a low ranking Devil to a middle Ranking Devil is because of all the stuff the Gremory Group went through as covered in the past 3 seasons. Those 3 should have been promoted directly to a high ranking Devil, but because politics, they have to go in stages first.

Also, the higher-ups weren't sitting on their asses at all. For the time with Vali and the Khaos Brigade, as well as the incident leading up to it, Rias and co. as well as Sona and co. were explicitly targeted due to being the younger siblings of 2 of the Devil side's leaders, Sirzechs and Serafall. As a result, a meeting for peace was declared to happen at their school which caused them to be targeted by terrorists. During the time Vali went rogue, the faction leaders there at the time were either maintaining a barrier to protect the lives of the people who were still frozen in time courtesy of the terrorists capturing Gasper (Sirzechs, Serafall, and Michael), or were fighting off the leader of that particular group of terrorist (Azazel). Azazel ended up injuring himself to take out the terrorist leader which is why only Issei was left to fight Vali as he was given an item to let him temporarily support Balance breaker.

Mind you, this was actually explained in DxD New. Considering you actually remember some of the events, you were at least watching the show, but a lot of the information can be found out by going back over those episodes, going to the High School DxD wiki, or reading the novels (currently fan-translated).

As for the incident with Loki... Seriously f*** BorN.

Odin decided to make peace with the 3 Factions as well as the youkai in Kyoto. Due to having met the Gremory and Sitri groups after the Rating Game between the two and the incident with Diadora that happened soon after, mind you both happened before all the stuff with Loki, f*** BorN, he chose them specifically to guard him since he and the other faction leaders were trying to be LOW-KEY what with terrorists popping up all over the place as of late. Loki found out anyway, and tried to target them but was forced back for the time being. And because they still had to keep everything LOW-KEY in order for the meeting to succeed without the Khaos Brigade finding out, only those who were in the area at the time were allowed to hold off Loki, being the Gremory Group, Barakiel (Akeno's Dad), Tannin, as well as Vali, Bikou and Kuroka who had offered up their services at the time due to Vali being a battle maniac and wanting to fight a god, as well as wanting to kidnap Fenrir for later. Saji later show's up due to Azazel literally dropping him off in the middle of the battle after an operation to safely implant other Sacred Gears containing the power of the Dragon King Vritra into his body. Having all those Sacred Gears allowed Vritra to reawaken and form the uncontrollable Vritra Promotion that you see him use in Hero during the fight against Yasaka and the Hero Faction.

As far as how Born portrayed the fight with Loki. Just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist as a lot of what was shown either didn't happen, was made up on the spot, and also ignored key pieces that should have happened and caused nearly the entire fandom to despair over the fact that we most likely wouldn't get a season 4. Especially with the fancfiction that happened at the end.

Of note, Loki summoning Fenrir, Fenrir's children Hati and Skoll, and Midgardsormr happened, but he was supposed to summon multiple smaller clones of Midgardsormr, and Vali, Issei, Saji, and the jewel containing Fafnir that Azazel uses were supposed to summon the original to discuss ways on how to defeat Loki and Fenrir. In addition, the bs with Issei apparently dying only to recover with phoenix tears didn't happen.

Also, Issei was also supposed to use Billingual during the fight to restore Akeno and Barakiel's relationship in an actual touching scene instead of randomly happening in his room. Issei was also the one to reject Akeno's advances as he realized she was trying to escape her fears by sleeping with him and he didn't want that.

In addition prior to using Billingual on Akeno, he was supposed to accidentally summon a boob goddess who would help him properly wield a replica of Mjolnir in order to finish off Loki.

I'm completely 100% serious about that last sentence I typed.

Quote:
If they are considered lower ranking up until now then what were all the high ranking demons doing during those times of crisis? It's like if the army kept sending a squad of new recruits to take down rogue governments who have nukes while the special forces guys stayed home.

In part with the explanation above of what happened, most of the situations that happened to allow Issei, Kiba and Akeno to get a promotion were due to fending off terrorists which, last I checked isn't some planned thing as their attacks literally come out of the blue.

Speaking of, Cao Cao and the hero faction had actually planned to interupt the Rating Game with Sairaorg. I'm still annoyed that the anime skipped the part where Azazel informed them about Vali sending a message about how he'd keep Cao Cao occupied so that the Rating Game could reach a proper conclusion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
The softer art is trash. The new plot line is trash with him not saving rias from loki and the void but being turned back into normal by the boob song and pressing Rias nipples. Like what is that bro. They set up a story line then be like oh nvm we're just gonna ruin DxD for u. They could have just worked their new enemy into the already set story line. With sharp not soft characters which bothers me the most tbh thats my main point as to why it killing DxD. The soft characters take away all the personalitu out of the characters and just make the girls look like normal busty anime girls and it make the anime look extremely silly. When i first saw i thought it was legit fan made. So pls bring back og character designer pls.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
#885445 wrote:
The softer art is trash. The new plot line is trash with him not saving rias from loki and the void but being turned back into normal by the boob song and pressing Rias nipples. Like what is that bro. They set up a story line then be like oh nvm we're just gonna ruin DxD for u. They could have just worked their new enemy into the already set story line. With sharp not soft characters which bothers me the most tbh thats my main point as to why it killing DxD. The soft characters take away all the personalitu out of the characters and just make the girls look like normal busty anime girls and it make the anime look extremely silly. When i first saw i thought it was legit fan made. So pls bring back og character designer pls.

There's so much ignorance here that i don't even know where to start...

>The new plot line is trash

Born is technically the new timeline. It was garbage so they ditched it. Not to mention that it was anime original and messed with the continuity of the whole series going forward.

>They set up a story line then be like oh nvm we're just gonna ruin DxD for u.

Forget BorN existed.

>With sharp not soft characters which bothers me the most tbh thats my main point as to why it killing DxD

Go check the sales and tell me which kind of "killing" you're talking about.

> The soft characters take away all the personalitu out of the characters

It doesn't.

> just make the girls look like normal busty anime girls and it make the anime look extremely silly.

Thank god for that. The old art burned my eyes. 18 y/o school girls looked like they were on their 30's.

>So pls bring back og character designer pls.

Impossible. BorN was so garbage the author and whatnot ditched TNK (The studio who made the first 3 seasons) and got another another studio (Passione) to do it from now on.
Look at how i said "author and whatnot". This kind of decision can't be made by the author alone. This means that he wasn't the only one thinking what came before was merely a butchery of the source material and should be done away with.

Have a nice day i guess.

Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10