• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Shonen Jump is aimed at Children that's why One Piece constantly has the villains be shown as evil by not being friends with anyone, that's why all the good guys place friendship as one of the most important traits.

If you don't want to hear a lot of friendship speeches don't read or watch Shonen Jump manga.

I don't read Shonen Jump. That's sort of my point. DN and CG are better to me than the usual ones because they at least break out of the formula somewhat. I am not watching one shonen action show this season, because by episode two they offered nothing new (or gave hope but then were monologue-laden wanks that weren't started yet after 4 out of 13 episodes *cough*index*cough*). Even Gainax tanked, so what do you do? You watch Kannagi Smile
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I must admit I'm surprised that a reviewer wasn't afraid to go against the grain and be honest about his thoughts. I've been on the fence about this show for a while.

My main reason for such is that the central character seems so unlikable and irredeemable. While I find villains who want to establish an ideal world interesting sometimes, I think making him the focus of this show wasn't the best idea. It sounds like he does such cruel and morally bankrupt things to try to establish his ideal world.

The truly GREAT villains from various forms of entertainment are the ones who are colored in shades of gray (they either have a redeeming quality or truly believe they're working towards the cause of "good"). Light sounds as if he has none of these qualities, and he sounds more like one of those evil JRPG "HA HA HA I'M DOING THIS JUST BECAUSE I GOT A NIFTY TRINKET" villains. Plus the show in general seems dark...perhaps TOO dark; maybe I'm too used to anime with a more positive and upbeat overall feeling, but even "dark" shows can work if they aren't all doom and gloom.
babbo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant "like" as in "found them interesting" or "got invested in what happened to them," not "like" as in "likable." I hated Light with a passion, but I also became deeply involved in the story of seeing him brought down. I never understood why anyone considered him a morally ambiguous figure. By the end of the first chapter of the manga (and first episode of the anime) it's already clear his god complex is what motivated him, not his sense of justice.

Ah. Guess I thought that goes without saying and assumed you meant it in terms of likability. Couldn't the god complex merely be a product of his corrupted sense of justice though? Painting him as morally ambiguois seems more like simple over interpretation to me, why can't he merely be crazy?

Quote:

I didn't see the series as controversial or anything; to me it has always been just a really good thriller. It's deeper and more intelligent than most of its fellows in Shounen Jump, sure, but it's still Shounen Jump. If Carl's reviews do nothing more than make people realize this, I support them even if I disagree with them.

Agreed. But I think people that characterize the show as though it intended to be a ground breaking masterpiece and then proceed to smash it into the ground for not being one are just as off the mark as those who think it is a master piece.

pparker wrote:
I don't read Shonen Jump. That's sort of my point. DN and CG are better to me than the usual ones because they at least break out of the formula somewhat. I am not watching one shonen action show this season, because by episode two they offered nothing new (or gave hope but then were monologue-laden wanks that weren't started yet after 4 out of 13 episodes *cough*index*cough*). Even Gainax tanked, so what do you do? You watch Kannagi Smile

The difference though, is that Cg was changed to be geared toward a slightly older audience because of a change in time slots. It was never a jump manga either >.>

Kannagi o,o? If you're gonna go off on shounen action shows (and there's no defending many of them, I agree) at least end that argument off with an actually good show :O

Quote:

You want Moral ambiguaty in children's entertainment?

Shonen Jump is aimed at Children that's why One Piece constantly has the villains be shown as evil by not being friends with anyone, that's why all the good guys place friendship as one of the most important traits.

If you don't want to hear a lot of friendship speeches don't read or watch Shonen Jump manga.

Adolescents/teenagers actually, unless you meant 13-18 when you typed children. Programs targeted at children are markedly different though.

Last edited by babbo on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
"Moral ambiguity" in a kid's show was handled (arguably) best by the highly-praised '90s Batman animated series.

And that show is almost a decade older than ZOMG GOTHY BISHONEN WITH A GRIM REAPER'S NOTEPAD OF DOOM.
PJoker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
"Moral ambiguity" in a kid's show was handled (arguably) best by the highly-praised '90s Batman animated series.

And that show is almost a decade older than ZOMG GOTHY BISHONEN WITH A GRIM REAPER'S NOTEPAD OF DOOM.

With this kind of comments, you're confirming that this review is only for haters.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but my respect for Shonen Jump can be best described by Webster's:

min·i·mal Listen to the pronunciation of minimal
Pronunciation:
\ˈmi-nə-məl\
Function:
adjective
Date:

1: relating to or being a minimum: as a: the least possible b: barely adequate c: very small or slight 2often capitalized : of, relating to, or being minimal art or minimalism
— min·i·mal·ly Listen to the pronunciation of minimally \-mə-lē\ adverb
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Kannagi o,o? If you're gonna go off on shounen action shows (and there's no defending many of them, I agree) at least end that argument off with an actually good show :O

Hey, it's not a great season. I could take up knitting, but, you know... Anyway, that's off topic. Though if I had thought for a moment, I would have said Nodame instead. I marathon shows and avoid spoilers, so I can't say, but I'm hoping that Casshern, Michiko and Kurozuka live up to expectations set in early episodes. And Kannagi is cute. SO there!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
...sigh...

...I...

...sigh...

I don't know why I even go to these forums anymore. It's just...amazing how stupid these arguments get.

I feel we need a two/three person review team for each review; that way every idiot (on and off forum) has their own little opinion of what this cartoon means to them. But, frankly, it'll never happen. Nobody will ever volunteer to do it, and it costs less this way.

Welcome to the internet. Where opinion and the collective converge.

Update: Noticed you're all hard up for new editing interns. Hmm.
kynoki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
this ahole just doseint no what good va is c+.........casting ant easy and i think in this show it was done well
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
What would happen if a reviewer were to review, say, M.D. Geist (OLD example I know, but bear with me) and give it all A grades and be COMPLETELY SERIOUS about it, not an April Fool's joke or a gimmick? The only reason people are so divided on this is because it's one of the biggest animes of the year and it's popular and people get butt-hurt when someone tells them their favorite show has...gasp...

FLAWS!

If a reviewer feels that most of the characters are treated like mindless drones and only 2 or 3 mains get anything resembling development, then he's entitled to express his dissatisfaction with that point. No show is beyond reproach; the shows that are generally considered excellent have their weak points, too. Carl simply feels that some of the weak points overshadow the good aspects, and he DID say the story is engrossing. And I'm sorry, but critics can be harsh. In fact, being incredibly strict with some series is some critics' MO, and if you can't handle that they put it under the microscope a bit more than the people who give it an AAA+++...then please, go home and cry to mama, as Ash would say.
DestG7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
kynoki wrote:
this ahole just doseint no what good va is c+.........casting ant easy and i think in this show it was done well

It's because this reviewer in particular, thinks that the show is "morally repelent". It's just a subjective opinion, you can always read the other reviews.

Theron Martin:
animenewsnetwork.com/review/death-note/dvd-1

Casey Brienza:
animenewsnetwork.com/review/death-note/dvd-5
animenewsnetwork.com/review/death-note/dvd-6

And for the manga.

Zac Bertschy:
animenewsnetwork.com/review/death-note-gn-1

Briana Lawrence:
animenewsnetwork.com/review/death-note/gn-12
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only reason people are so divided on this is because it's one of the biggest animes of the year and it's popular and people get butt-hurt when someone tells them their favorite show has...gasp...

FLAWS!

Speak for yourself. I tend to notice the flows in my favourite anime before anyone else I know does, and I'm very willing to explain what they are in a very reasonable manner that is consistent across the whole breadth of entertainment. But the difference between people like me and people like Mr Kimlinger is that Mr Kimlinger specifically criticizes series with lead characters that have different morals from himself, which if the people who support this review haven't gotten yet, was the main reason Mr Kimlinger gave for despising Death Note. I can only imagine that Evangelion likewise has no criticial success as a result of it's dislikable lead characters. Rolling Eyes

Death Note isn't even one of my favourites, which is what makes this all the more laughable. Some people just won't accept that this was a bad review. I've seen Pat Robertson be more reasonable than this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:

Death Note isn't even one of my favourites, which is what makes this all the more laughable. Some people just won't accept that this was a bad review. I've seen Pat Robertson be more reasonable than this.

Out of sheer curiosity, how much time have you spent complaining about this review now? Maybe you should take a few deep breaths, calm down, say to yourself "it's only a review, just someone's opinion I don't agree with" and find something else to do with your time.

In fact, I think 10 solid pages of people making the same basic complaint over and over and over and over again without reading what anyone else has to say is enough. Locking this up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10