• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I'm at Episode 3 on Tokyo Ghoul and does this show get any better?

Yes, but it takes way too long to do so, and I don't think I ever warmed up to Kaneki, even when he stopped being such a whinebaby. The last episode of the season was so brutal I wonder if they'll cut any of it for broadcast. Probably not. This is not the same Adult Swim that darkened the picture to nearly unwatchable levels in Cowboy Bebop to hide the blood.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't really get the Kaneki hate that much. I mean, yeah, he is part of the Shinji Ikari archetype, but he does have legitimate problems (like you know, an uncontrollable desire to kill humans and eat their corpses) and his personality resonated a lot with me. He's one of my favorite protagonists for a reason.

By the way, I announced the next dates for my posts AND put up a poll deciding which Top Ten I should do.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess for me it was mostly about his voice. I never minded Shinji's voice (though I mostly have only heard the dub and I kinda like Spike Spencer's voice, which has a slightly lower register and resonance to it). Kaneki's voice drove me up the wall, even though I acknowledge he's got more than enough reasons to be traumatized. Maybe the dub will sit better with me.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess for me it was mostly about his voice. I never minded Shinji's voice (though I mostly have only heard the dub and I kinda like Spike Spencer's voice, which has a slightly lower register and resonance to it). Kaneki's voice drove me up the wall, even though I acknowledge he's got more than enough reasons to be traumatized. Maybe the dub will sit better with me.

Oh, Austin Tindle is WONDERFUL. This is one of his best performances at Funimation, and I wish he were cast as more leads. As for Spike Spencer, it did take me a while to get used to him as Shinji during the television run, but he turns out great. (As opposed to Random Guy as Kensuke Aida, who sounds like a Muppet).
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Silent Mobius: The Motion Picture - It has been about 9 or 8 years since I've seen this movie, so I decided to re-watch it. Silent Mobius is one of my favorite franchises growing up and the movie holds up very well.

The art style and animation are top-notch as well as the story. The animation is very well detail and all the characters designs are very nicely done. All of the monsters look really awesome in my opinion and I miss when anime from the past had really awesome monster designs. The setting of Tokyo feels dark and futuristic which captures the mood of the anime. There is a really nice mix of supernatural and sci-fi mix into Silent Mobius that they did a fantastic job on creating the atmosphere for the anime.

Silent Mobius and older anime like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Gunbuster, Wings of Honneamise, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Perfect Blue, Wicked City, and several others still have animation that still looks great even many decades later. It find it interesting how hand drawn animation from 80's & 90's still holds up well while most digital animation seen in the late 90's and early 2000's have age like dog shit.

The story is very well done because the story of demons invading a Blade Runner type of city and having the Tokyo Police in charge of supernatural activity is so awesome. Katsumi Liqueur is a great main character and her character development was very nicely done too. I think they did a great job on handling her character development after
she gets over the shock of seeing her mother destroyed by a demon.

The supporting cast could have been better and the story is bit hard to follow at first, but they still had a great job on telling a story in 55 minutes. They help create a really awesome world with cool characters, great action and a dark futuristic atmosphere to draw us in the world of Silent Mobius. I feel like Silent Mobius was inspired by the Bubblegum Crisis series since they are both set in the a futuristic world with a female cast fighting monsters.

The music is great too and the re-dub from Ocean Group is also great too. I never seen the original Streamline dub, but I do like the Ocean dub pretty well. The Japanese version is also fantastic too.

Silent Mobius: The Motion Picture is still a great supernatural cyberpunk film with great animation, great music, cool characters and a kick ass story. It is a shame that the series has fade into obscurity over the years and this is anime film that you should watch more than once. This movie is not perfect, but Silent Mobius: The Motion Picture has a lot to offer. I would recommend this anime if you like the Bubblegum Crisis series, demon invasion stories or old school anime titles. Grade: 8/10

It is sad that they don't make sci-fi and supernatural anime like they used to.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Cannibalism is one of my serious triggers....so I shan't be joining the Tokyo Ghoul discussion; it's unfortunately ground I cannot tread. >_> lol

I've continued my journey into the Nasuverse with Kara No Kyoukai. Visually, it's very gorgeous. Shiki's eyes are beautiful. It has cool ideas and concepts too.

My main problem with this series is....I can't identify with ANY of these characters. Every single one of them is so messed up. And I've met my share of messed up characters (I loved Scum's Wish fcol lol) But this is one the level of "No human being seems like they could act this way". Shiki loves to kill people. Why? HELL IF I KNOW. But Shiki can't stand to see other people kill people. Why? SHRUG. Kokutou is in love with Shiki despite that she has killed in front of him and has tried to kill him. Why? Because plot? No, actually, it doesn't even seem to matter in the plot. What even IS the plot? I'm so confused. I have no clue what's going on. Absolutely nothing makes sense. Nobody's actions make sense. It would be GREAT if the last two parts of the series explain all of this stuff but.....part 5 is becoming a chore to watch since it's more than two hours long and.....argh

.....I'm debating whether I should even finish it or just rewatch Fate/Zero so I can give it my undivided attention.

Also congrats to Shirou for no longer being the dumbest one in the Nasuverse. Kokutou cannot possibly have a single fragment of common sense in his head. In fact, I don't even know who he is or how his brain works. He's like.....some empty shell without a personality.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
What even IS the plot? I'm so confused. I have no clue what's going on. Absolutely nothing makes sense.

Yeah, I stopped watching that movie series because I couldn't make sense out of the story. It was too confusing and so I couldn't get invested into the story at all.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:26 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Cannibalism is one of my serious triggers....so I shan't be joining the Tokyo Ghoul discussion; it's unfortunately ground I cannot tread. >_> lol

I've continued my journey into the Nasuverse with Kara No Kyoukai. Visually, it's very gorgeous. Shiki's eyes are beautiful. It has cool ideas and concepts too.

My main problem with this series is....I can't identify with ANY of these characters. Every single one of them is so messed up. And I've met my share of messed up characters (I loved Scum's Wish fcol lol) But this is one the level of "No human being seems like they could act this way". Shiki loves to kill people. Why? HELL IF I KNOW. But Shiki can't stand to see other people kill people. Why? SHRUG. Kokutou is in love with Shiki despite that she has killed in front of him and has tried to kill him. Why? Because plot? No, actually, it doesn't even seem to matter in the plot. What even IS the plot? I'm so confused. I have no clue what's going on. Absolutely nothing makes sense. Nobody's actions make sense. It would be GREAT if the last two parts of the series explain all of this stuff but.....part 5 is becoming a chore to watch since it's more than two hours long and.....argh

.....I'm debating whether I should even finish it or just rewatch Fate/Zero so I can give it my undivided attention.

Also congrats to Shirou for no longer being the dumbest one in the Nasuverse. Kokutou cannot possibly have a single fragment of common sense in his head. In fact, I don't even know who he is or how his brain works. He's like.....some empty shell without a personality.

I wonder how many people who finished all 7 movies are going to laugh at this post for being completely wrong.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Are you watching Garden of Sinners in release order or in chronological order? I realize that release order is supposed to be appropriate, but if you are having trouble following the plot, back up and try them in chronological order. (That is 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 7) it makes a whole lot more sense that way. I think the release order was an attempt to get people hooked on a slow burning series.

I'm really bad about finishing series. But I found this series to be the equivalent of a book I simply couldn't put down. The kind that when you finally finish you realize it is 3am and you have to be at work in a few hours.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
I found the Garden of Sinners to be intriguing, but I can't really say I understood it, either. Man, ufotable did such a great job of it, visually.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Chiibi

Are you watching Garden of Sinners in release order or in chronological order? I realize that release order is supposed to be appropriate, but if you are having trouble following the plot, back up and try them in chronological order. (That is 2, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 7) it makes a whole lot more sense that way. I think the release order was an attempt to get people hooked on a slow burning series.

I'm really bad about finishing series. But I found this series to be the equivalent of a book I simply couldn't put down. The kind that when you finally finish you realize it is 3am and you have to be at work in a few hours.

I had her watch it in a similar order. Start with episode 1 since that seems to be the way that the franchise wants to introduce the characters, then 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 7. Of course, if she's bothered by Kokuto trusting Shiki after seeing her covered in blood, she clearly doesn't understand what happened. Razz
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
All riiiiiiiiight.....I'll finish it if you're gonna make fun of me...... Rolling Eyes

B-baka....! Crying or Very sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Not making fun of you, just don't want you to miss a really great series just because they made it more complicated than necessary.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Erm, not that I want to be cast in the role of the guy who interprets other people's posts for you all the time, Alan45, but Chiibi was referring to louis6578, not you, with her "making fun of me" comment.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hmm... maybe I should try watching The Garden of Sinner in chronological order, some day.

I recently watched Konosuba's 2nd season. The beautiful, excellent, stylistic animation really helps flesh out the characters, strengthen the comedy and make the show unique. Animation gets a full 10/10 from me for its stylistic merits............ The 2nd season was more of the same, but its humor and lighthearted adventure stuff work well for me. I really like the characters.

I also started watching Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga. I'm 4 episodes in. It seems fine so far, but I hope we'll get more action soon. I wanna see Rin kick ass with his blue flames. Suguro's family circumstances aren't as interesting to me. And whenever Konekomaru is on screen I just wanna punch him. His wimpy, cowardly demeanor and voice annoys me to no end. He is too afraid to tell Rin how he feels so he just tries to avoid him. At least Suguro is upfront about why he doesn't want to be around Rin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 973 of 1062