• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kannagi, Stranger, Hiwou's War Makers Want to Do Sequels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
If they made a Kannagi Season 2 with the same level of awesomeness as the first season, I could totally get behind that.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
All these mentions of Kannagi, what about Sword of the Stranger!?

While I wouldn't object to it being made, I can't be too interested in a sequel to something that I haven't seen.

I do own the two R1 DVDs and Bandai's three manga volumes for Kannagi (I haven't decided yet whether to buy the BD box or not), and would like to see more of both (the latter being slightly easier because it actually exists in Japan to license).
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
I am an Otaku and would love to see Kannagi picked up where the anime left off. I have read the manga through to the last one as of 2009 and there is a lot more story to do. I haden't heard of Nagi-sama not being a virgin, but I don't think being tainted by the wholesale absorption of impurities counts as that exactly. Anyway, I think having her "tainted" might open a more "real" avenue for the story and character development. Bring back Zange-chan too!!
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Let's just hope that producers gather enough funds to make those sequels.
sburstall

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'd love a Kannagi sequel, but thats just a pipe dream. After the whole "she might not be a virgin" fiasco, I doubt the otaku would support it.

Forget the sequel, I'd like to see a continuation of the series.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Plus, 43k sounds pretty low to me for a series that used to be one of the more popular otaku manga. I can't find any sales for the older volumes, but 100k is probably closer to their original numbers.

Just the numbers I could get from ANN.

Japanese Comic Ranking: (between the release of Kannagi #5 and #6, ranking changed from top 10 to top 30)

Kannagi #1-#5 have no links to the news articles at the manga's encyclopedia page (probably didn't make it to the top 10). These were released before the controversy. Probably experienced a sales boost during the anime's airing.

Kannagi #6 sold 23,621 copies on it's first week (didn't make it in to the top 30 during the first week), 35,321 on the second week. #6 was released two days before Sankaku Complex reported on the controversy.

Anime DVD first week sales:

Kannagi 1: 11,869 (released a month after the controversy)
Kannagi 2: 10,337 (released a week after manga went on hiatus)
Kannagi 3: 10,040
Kannagi 4: 9,737
Kannagi 5: 8,537
Kannagi 6: 7,843

Last edited by 4nBlue on Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh wait, the Kannagi DVDs came out AFTER the controversy? I always figured they came out before due to the solid sales they had.

I stand corrected then, maybe it actually would still do well then. I sure hope so, since I loved that series.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Needz Moar Nagi Nao!!
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Um.... what is the controversy?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:

From what I've heard (never read the series) the main character, mentions that she once had a boyfriend...

...cue angry fans declaring the character a "slut", "used goods" etc., sending the author lots of angry letters and making videos showing them rip apart their Kannagi manga volumes and other merchandise
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Fletcher1991 wrote:

From what I've heard (never read the series) the main character, mentions that she once had a boyfriend...

...cue angry fans declaring the character a "slut", "used goods" etc., sending the author lots of angry letters and making videos showing them rip apart their Kannagi manga volumes and other merchandise

lol...

Wow, people are so lame. This is why I hate fandom sometimes.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Talking about if the Otaku would support Kannagi or not, we have some actual recent sales now!

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=439043

1,940 - Kannagi Blu-ray Box

Thats not very good...
superdry

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Talking about if the Otaku would support Kannagi or not, we have some actual recent sales now!

Thats not very good...

Also, do note that there is to be a dispute between Amazon JP and Aniplex right now (lots of newer Aniplex titles cannot be preordered at Amazon). Kannagi boxset was part of this problem, but now one can order it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this affected sales since Amazon generally is the cheapest place to buy anime.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Thats not very good...

Also, do note that there is to be a dispute between Amazon JP and Aniplex right now (lots of newer Aniplex titles cannot be preordered at Amazon). Kannagi boxset was part of this problem, but now one can order it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this affected sales since Amazon generally is the cheapest place to buy anime.

Yeah, I've heard about that, but wasn't Nise effected too? And it still sold 60k?

I don't think it hurt it too much.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
superdry wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Thats not very good...

Yeah, I've heard about that, but wasn't Nise effected too? And it still sold 60k?

I don't think it hurt it too much.

Nise vol. 1 was not affected if I remember correctly. Nise vol. 2 and beyond are affected though.

It probably didn't hurt too much, but it could have added a few hundred more copies in the first week. Since one can order Kannagi at Amazon now, I wonder what the second week sales might be,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3