• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hate of Dragon Ball Z

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:51 am Reply with quote
ownerizer wrote:
"Drag-on Ball" make you're own conclusions.

A group of bueatiful yet deadly drag queens travel the world in search of the dragons balls to summon shen long to turn them into real girls, fighting evil where ever they may find it on the way?

Or was Drag-on Ball another one of those car shows like Speed Racer or Initial D?

Seriously though DBZ is underated. Sure it's not great(Exception, first 30 eps or so when it was original, good stuff), but there's much worst stuff. It's just cool to dis it. Of the people who say it the worst anime ever there's a awful lot of them who've seen every single episode :P
Grive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:06 am Reply with quote
I LOVED Dragon Ball. It was aired when I was a fourth-grader over here. It's one of the TV shows I have the most fond memories of watching.

Maybe that's why I despise DBZ. It was a sore dissappointment. Of course, by the time it was shown I was already older, and seen more - way more - anime, although DBZ is crappy by its own merits without need of comparison. First off, the animation quality is less than bargain bin. I've seen 1970's series that single-handedly open a can of whoop-ass on DBZ visualswise. DBZ's amount of reused cells is so big it's not even funny.

Then we have the characters, none of which I was able to bear, much less like. Vegeta was probably the only guy that I didn't hate, and that's probably because he's the one I picked when playing the SNES DBZ fighting games at a friend's house. Other than that, I didn't care about them. Of course, the fact that their deaths were inconsequential (as they would probably be revived or return otherwise to continue) led me to stop actually caring about them. So, they're nearly dead after 20 episodes of fighting against the same enemy? aaand? They'll just revive sooner or later.

Which leads me to another reason. Damn, those fights were boring. There's a fine line between tension and boredom. Those things were stretched to the limit, mainly because of pointless bickering regarding who could create the biggest ball of light or who had used more hair gel and oxygenated water to make their hairdo. Oh, and speaking of Hairdo, the Super Saiya-jin thing. Sure, it was a climactic and actually cool to see Goku reach the power of SSJ to win a battle, but then comes SSJ2, SSJ3, SSJ4, and then everyone who has any relation fo Saiya ends up being able to have a blonde, Hair Gel-powered hairdo. w00t.

The story being tedious, droning, predictable and repetitive doesn't help either.

Oh, just a note, I saw the uncut version, before someone says that the uncut version is better and that I should give it a try.

Vicious wrote:

Seriously though DBZ is underated. Sure it's not great(Exception, first 30 eps or so when it was original, good stuff), but there's much worst stuff. It's just cool to dis it. Of the people who say it the worst anime ever there's a awful lot of them who've seen every single episode Razz

Yes, yes, there are worse things than Dragon Ball Z. But there are so many better things out there too. Plus, the fact that it's not the worst thing ever doesn't make it good at all. The "I'm not the worst, yahee!" philosophy is one of the most damaging ones. And although it seems to be hip in the anime community to diss it, I can assure you it's not my case. I diss it since before joining the internet in 1997 - at a time when all my anime-watching friends were DBZ junkies and I was the odd one out in the group.

I saw everything until the frieza saga, and all the time I considered it mediocre. I have a philosophy of always watching everything of a series before making a judgement (I have seen all of MD Geist, Megami Kouhosei and Ninja Ressurrection just because of this), but DBZ was too much. I just... couldn't... bear... it.

FYI, I don't consider it to be the worst thing I've ever seen. M.D. Geist gets that award.

Last edited by Grive on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:12 am Reply with quote
Kagato wrote:
What were they smoking when the came up with Majin Bou?I've got nothing against Dragonball,just against Dragon Ball Z.

Actually, my wife and I both believe that they have to have had experience dealing with small children. At least some of the things Majin Buu does reminds me completely of my neices and nephew.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:33 am Reply with quote
I like Dragonball in general, but only on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Judau

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:46 am Reply with quote
I love DBZ, besides the normal old stuff I saw when I was 4 or 5 and Ronin Warriors in 4th grade, it is what started my craving for anime... it will always be with me in that respect, it also opened my eyes to other animes as I finally got online in freshman year of high school to go on Planet Namek... in regards to the actual show... yes, some episodes are dragged on a little much, but most of the time, those episodes are required to bring the low level, yet fun plot up to speed with the actions in the show... it has brought me some of my favorite characters in general, let them be funny or wacky, or strong and just plain cool... sure there will be much better anime in EVERY aspect, but it is still classic, and still means a lot to probably most anime fans, in one way or another. Althogh i have yet to see any of the original Dragonball besides most of what has been aired on CN, I have to say I love that as well, completely different reasons of course, as it is a copletely different kind of anime. Sme final thoughts, I don't USUALLY enjoy the dub (with DBZ...), the sub is a million times better... and... GT... yeah, you can skip it no problem, Toriyama never meant for it to be, you should think the same way... same with the Garlic Jr. saga... Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:47 am Reply with quote
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=31681 But seriously, I'm not much of a Toriyama fan. I like his manga one-shots and Dragon Quest, and that's about it. I realized around the first movie that the fight scenes were the only reason to see the show after that drunken Gohan song.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I like Mirai Trunks Very Happy
I like DBZ, I've seen the Spanish version and some of the Japanese version. This series actually helped lose weight(I'm not kidding)
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Z.... I agree, how can you make something so simple go on for so long? There are characters I like, and occasionally there are flashes of brilliance (the whole Vegeta character, I daresay), but those who think it's the greatest fighting anime (or greatest anime period) ever seriously need further exposure.

I'd laugh if Z-heads (as I term these uninformed fanatics) caught on to X. Fighting, but with beauty, psychology, and deep romance. Probably wouldn't work, but it would be hilarious.

Z-head: Dude! Hinato is the Shizz-nit! -_-'
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a smattering of the DBZ anime, and I've read the first volume of Viz-published manga issues. I thought the manga was actually really good as far as fighting manga goes. It had the kind of balletic clarity and specificity of action that makes an action sequence kinetic and graceful, rather than just frantic. Tha anime was, indeed, drag-on Ball, although I hear the movies pack more punch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kagato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Dragon Ball,but Z is just mindless fighting along with a re-hashed plot for every 200 episode story-arc.What I don't understand is why they watch this show.The idea of the anime is to see who is the strongest and that's about it.Tell me of one time where a Z story arc was different from the previous ones.
Ramen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Dragonball Z for exactly what it is. Mindless fighting with a campy plot and funny characters. It's entertainment with no work or thought involved, and that is exactly why I'll watch the rest of it when CN begins airing the end of the series. Very much the same reasons I liked Initial D. Sometimes simple is good Smile
caulfield

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I really hate about DBZ is the way it fosters the sort of ridicule against anime and manga that sometimes it rightly deserves often detracting attention from quality works of art. Granted, people who watch a few episodes of Pokemon, "CardCaptors", or DBZ and then quickly form an asinine stereotype are first and foremost at fault, but...

Like what performance artistry, outsider art, and pop art did to the contemporary art scene, DBZ did to anime. It's not the medium's fault that people are shortsighted and quick to formulate opinions no matter how incorrect... But still, thats the world we live in. DBZ has left the door open for such attacks at anime as the following online comic strip from Josh Lesnick (some adult content):

http://www.cutewendy.com/cute/20011001.html

But then I admit, I too used to like DBZ. I even have the episode where Vegeta dies on tape somewhere in my closet shelf. Go figure.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
following online comic strip from Josh Lesnick (some adult content):

Heh heh, I've been to his site before. Thanks to Google that's why. This guy is a semi-fan of Takehiko Itoh and probably a big fan of several other manga artists. There should be a section on all the manga series he has there somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't like it cause its boring and repetitive. but my brother liked it for a time when he was working nights, he would download it and watch it cause its mindless.
Cgoten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I like the manga a lot better than the anime. I own most of it on VHS, and a lot of the graphic novels, English and Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4