• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Hiiro Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Just wanted to say that Achiga isn't a letdown for fans of Saki. Everyone who watched the first series wants to see Shiraitodai because they have been setup as by far the strongest school.
Agree, though that said, I don't blame her at all for dropping it. Achiga's big payoff is riding pretty heavily on plot threads from the original series...the big match should provide the tension that's been missing, but it'll probably be hard to get invested in the outcome without knowing the original series. It's in kind of a weird spot...half spinoff, half sequel.

There's so many good shows this season I'm having trouble keeping up. My top 3 is Kids on the Slope, Lupin III, Polar Bear Cafe with about 9 other shows in a jumble underneath that. I haven't even been able to start Space Bros, despite wanting to. (It doesn't help that Diablo 3 is drastically cutting into my free time now either...)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
I hate to say to someone, “You should really watch this 20+ episode show from the beginning!”

Huh?

I mean...how else would watch ANY anime, regardless of its length?

I guess what she's saying is that this is a show where you need to see the first season to understand the second? I never understand why people watch a sequel series without seeing the first show so maybe she's advising against doing that?

Also, for Eureka 7 AO, it doesn't seem like the show is merely a few decades after the last one since, in the last show, it was 10,000 years into the future and the nations of Japan, the US, France, China, Okinawa etc (which have all been mentioned) didn't exist any longer.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Tier -Appointment viewing
1 (/\3) Kids on the Slope
It is great unforced character drama
2 (\/1) Mysterious Girlfriend X
3 (/\5) Space Brothers
4 (\/2) Lupin III - A Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Still really good, but it quickly feels a bit repetitive, like it needs to go forward slightly faster. It needs a big adventure to start (note: I'm actually an episode behind)
5 (\/4) Sankarea
6 (-6) Tsuritama
7 (/\8) Sket Dance
It continues to impress with its improved humor and more deeply felt characters and gets bumped up to must-watch appointment viewing status.

Second tier - Good watches
8 (/\13) Polar Bear Cafe
It is so true, you really do getting addicted to this brand of cute off-beat humor. I'm really starting to like Penguin, he's such a great Salaryman character, except he a penguin and you have no idea if he actually works.
9 (/\10) Folktales from Japan
I feel like I'm really getting some cultural worth from watching this and when and when some anime character in a show makes some allusion to a folk tale in the future, I may finally know what they're talking about- ora t least get a feel as to what fairy tales mean to them. And I really like fairy tales.
10 (/\12) Acchi Kocchi
11 (\/9) Accel World
12 (\/11) Hyouka
13 (\/7) Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Biggest drop- I was hoping for melancholy, regret, and mystery- mostly getting grinning baddies and forced "psychological" horror. Still has worth but it has definitely lost estimation in my eyes.
14 (/\17) Bodacious Space Pirates
It's charming me again, so what if it doesn't doing anything great, what it does do it does nicely in more than one sense of the word.
15 (\/14) Medaka Box
16 (\/15) Is This A Zombie? Of The Dead!

Third Tier -watch due to convenience
17 (/\20) Hunter x Hunter
18 (\/16) Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Something about it annoys me, not exactly sure what. Nothing feels natural about it, it's all a bit thin.
19 (\/18) Natsu-iro Kiseki
20 (/\21) Kuroko's Basketball
This was in the drop section but It feels safe now, at least for the season. It delivers decent sports intrigue

Bottom tier, could easily drop
21 (\/19) Saki: Achiga-hen episode of side-A
probably couldn't "easily" drop it. but I sometimes feel like I should. I want to see matches, crazy moves, etc. but they keep glossing over entire rounds. Getting tired of it.
22 (-) Jormungand
23 (-) Kimi to Boku. 2
I was fine with all of the first season, a little boring- but occasionally heartfelt. This season is cross between Dramamine and wanting to punch Chizuru in the face.
24 (-) Sengoku Collection
This may be dropped, I've fallen behind am not sure I want to pick it up.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed May 23, 2012 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Bravo Bamboo for keeping up as many series as you are! I have been very busy this season and haven't been able to watch nearly as many shows as I want to.

My list, in rough order of priority, for the season is:

Mysterious Girlfriend X - I love this show! Can't wait for each week's episode to appear!

Kids on the Slope - What a great story and fantastic characters! I really agree with Bamboo's take on it!

Bodacious Space Pirates - Still up there in my favorites. I would argue that it doesn't need to have the sinister aspect, it has the kind of atmosphere that the Federation in Star Trek does, where most everyone is really nice and people don't fight with each other too much. Of course, they have the Klingons and Romulans to handle the other end of things...

Accel World - I love the characters, the game world is fascinating and so cool, and the story seems fairly strong too! I would sooooo love to have a neurolinker!

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - I really like this show, but I was not so pleased with the 2nd half of the cultural festival. spoiler[The fanaticism of the kids trying to actually kill a fellow student when nobody had actually been harmed was too over the top. If they had done it with less hysteria, it would have been a very good episode...]

Nyarko-san - I'm a bit behind on it, but it is soooo funny!

Hyouka - Seems really good. I wish it were being simulcast!

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Of The Dead - I am behind on this too, but ... oh just repeat the Nyarko-san comment...

I have yet to get to the rest of the Funimation "Simul"-casts. (They know what those first two syllables mean, right?) I will pick them up when I am a bit less busy with life...

I can't help but feel I'm forgetting something... Smile
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I guess what she's saying is that this is a show where you need to see the first season to understand the second? I never understand why people watch a sequel series without seeing the first show so maybe she's advising against doing that?

Referring to Fate/Stay Night? You don't really need to watch that TV series as Zero is largely self-contained, and the things you actually need to know are revealed in the Heaven's Feel route.

What she's pointing out is, that while the beginning of Zero is a bit drawn out, the pay off is worth it if you stick with the series.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
I hate to say to someone, “You should really watch this 20+ episode show from the beginning!”

Huh?

I mean...how else would watch ANY anime, regardless of its length?

I think your comment is true for shows released on home video (i.e. watch this 20+ show from this box set), but for simulcasts, I think it's more daunting to tell someone, "Hey, I know this is already on episode 20-something, but you should check it out!"

I find it similarly daunting when someone tells me, "You should catch up with 4 seasons of [American TV show] so you can watch the premiere in July."

It's easier to "catch up" with a show that's just starting its run, versus something that's been going on for a season+ already. But that is partially due to the simulcast format.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Yay for more Sankarea love! Was waiting to hear Bamboo's take on it, and am glad that she enjoyed it. I don't know why I love that series so much, but I do, and so I am happy to see it get some more exposure.

Interesting to see Kuroko's Basketball drop so drastically, from 7th to 16th. True, some of that was the addition of three new good shows (BSP, Sankarea, E7:AO) that moved a bunch of series down, but that's still a pretty extreme drop.

I have to smile when I read what Bamboo says about Hisoka now. I had a feeling that he'd win her over eventually, assuming she stuck with the series long enough. Definitely a great villain.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I think your comment is true for shows released on home video (i.e. watch this 20+ show from this box set), but for simulcasts, I think it's more daunting to tell someone, "Hey, I know this is already on episode 20-something, but you should check it out!"

I cannot for the life of me see a distinction. Either way you have to watch the entire thing, what in the world does the precise delivery method have to do with it?

It just boggles my mind that people act like Simulcasts are some weird, strange, new way of doing things.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I still am enjoying BSP as I think bringing in villan may ruin the concept of show.
Sankera slightly disappointed me in next episodes as it started to lean more on ecchi elements than its initiall comedy/horror/ecchi balance.
Nazo no kanojo x is still great though I love it.
I love Sakamichi no apollon it is beautifully directed show.Shinichiro Watanabe knows what to do with this kind of material.
Tsuritama is incerdibly fun although I heard that it gets darker from episode 6.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I cannot for the life of me see a distinction. Either way you have to watch the entire thing, what in the world does the precise delivery method have to do with it?

Plenty! Although personally, I find it's the other way around: much easier to say "Hey, check out this cool thing you can see for free, legally, online!" than "Hey, check out this cool thing you'll have to spend $50 to catch up on!"

Quote:
It just boggles my mind that people act like Simulcasts are some weird, strange, new way of doing things.

Just recall that they only started with 2 shows in 2008, and only (AFAIK) apply to shows from Japan, mainly for customers in the English-speaking world, which means the vast majority of the human race hasn't even heard about this way of doing things yet. Does it seem more comprehensible in that light?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:

Just recall that they only started with 2 shows in 2008, and only (AFAIK) apply to shows from Japan, mainly for customers in the English-speaking world, which means the vast majority of the human race hasn't even heard about this way of doing things yet. Does it seem more comprehensible in that light?

Not particularly, since its essentially the same concept as watching TV, especially with the rise of DVR and the like.

Its a show that airs week-by-week. This is not a new concept, to anyone.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully he starts Hyouka. I love that show. It's really good so far.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
Hopefully he starts Hyouka. I love that show. It's really good so far.

Hyouka is not streaming, thus will not be covered.

How is this a hard concept?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:

Referring to Fate/Stay Night? You don't really need to watch that TV series as Zero is largely self-contained, and the things you actually need to know are revealed in the Heaven's Feel route.

What she's pointing out is, that while the beginning of Zero is a bit drawn out, the pay off is worth it if you stick with the series.

Oops, not what I meant, I think of the first half of Fate/Zero (the first cour) as the first season and this part as the second season, I've never seen or read Fate/Stay Night myself (although I did have to go through tvtropes/wikipedia/various forums to understand some of the terminology like Dead Apostles and such).
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Hah! I knew you would love Hisoka eventually! Everyone does!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7