• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Head: No Plans for 2009 Gundam TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
RedTail wrote:
Hell, from what's being said, we don't even know if this is an OVA yet. It could be the manga series that they mention Kadokawa running. If it is, that's pretty lame... Then again, the whole concept behind a series set in 0081 was pretty lame to begin with.

Bandai really came up short here...

The concept art for 0081 is a little bit too ambitious for a Manga. That is my opinion anyway. It certainly is odd that he wouldn't mention 0081 though....I hope this is just a mistranslation or that he simply forgot to mention it.

I'll agree that setting a show in 0081 is hardly as ambitious as setting one in...say... the early days of the one year war, or shortly before it, but an OVA is better than no OVA....

Honestly I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Zeta movies with new animation, except for 0079. Apparently the current economic climate has killed any hope of something that ambitious being done.

I can't believe they aren't even releasing a new Gundam game for the anniversary...meh.

I don't know. It's sort of hard to believe that Ueno would forget to mention it. Based on his past comments, he seemed very enthusiastic about getting a new UC series made.

At any rate, I think one thing is clear. Those of us who were holding out hope that "0081" would just be the tip of the iceburg were clearly wrong. This is all we're getting.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
RedTail wrote:
Hell, from what's being said, we don't even know if this is an OVA yet. It could be the manga series that they mention Kadokawa running. If it is, that's pretty lame... Then again, the whole concept behind a series set in 0081 was pretty lame to begin with.

Bandai really came up short here...

The concept art for 0081 is a little bit too ambitious for a Manga. That is my opinion anyway. It certainly is odd that he wouldn't mention 0081 though....I hope this is just a mistranslation or that he simply forgot to mention it.

I'll agree that setting a show in 0081 is hardly as ambitious as setting one in...say... the early days of the one year war, or shortly before it, but an OVA is better than no OVA....

Honestly I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Zeta movies with new animation, except for 0079. Apparently the current economic climate has killed any hope of something that ambitious being done.

I can't believe they aren't even releasing a new Gundam game for the anniversary...meh.

I don't know. It's sort of hard to believe that Ueno would forget to mention it. Based on his past comments, he seemed very enthusiastic about getting a new UC series made.

At any rate, I think one thing is clear. Those of us who were holding out hope that "0081" would just be the tip of the iceburg were clearly wrong. This is all we're getting.

Yep, that much is clear at the very least. Better luck at the 35th or 40th anniversary I guess.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I think this basically confirms that Gundam 00 will pull a Gundam Wing...ie a movie/OVA finale. The director hinted at this in a press release/interview last week where he was answering the question about the fate of the protagonists at the end of the series. His response was to watch until the very last second of the final episode that will air in two weeks time.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I should've known not to get my hopes up about 0081. :/
coldspider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
They should make a Gundam Wing sequel where all five of those Gundams combine to make one big ****ing Gundam.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
isn't there also supposed to be a gundam seed feature film being produced that takes place some time after destiny? that would also qualify as 'not a tv series'.

Last time I heard anything about it, the director was sick and the project was on hold until they were well enough to do it. So, assuming that the director got well soon and that there's a reasonably amount of time left to do it this year (I have no idea how much time they'd need to do it), then it might happen, but there's no signs right now of it happening anytime soon.

I really hope that they get it done one of these days, but given how long it's been without anything happening on it, I'm worried that we're never actually going to get it.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:
isn't there also supposed to be a gundam seed feature film being produced that takes place some time after destiny? that would also qualify as 'not a tv series'.

Last time I heard anything about it, the director was sick and the project was on hold until they were well enough to do it. So, assuming that the director got well soon and that there's a reasonably amount of time left to do it this year (I have no idea how much time they'd need to do it), then it might happen, but there's no signs right now of it happening anytime soon.

I really hope that they get it done one of these days, but given how long it's been without anything happening on it, I'm worried that we're never actually going to get it.

I hate to break it to you but the rumored 00 movie has a better chance than a SEED movie at this point regardless of popularity.
Jaice wrote:
i hope they don't continue on with 00 after this season ends. 00 has been kind of a disappointment. wish they would have pushed the story more than the visuals a-la turn-a gundam and 8th ms team.

wish they would get back to the UC universe. i want to see some new age zeon.

I couldn't disagree with you any more at this point. I think it's doing a solid job production and consistency with the plot and if I recall this is the point where SEED's derailment started to show but to each their own I guess. I 'wish UC fans would learn to suck it up and accept that UC related material (outside the original and Zeta) aren't huge selling points in Japan so they're obviously not gonna beat around a dad bush to satisfy a small majority of the growing fanbase.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, they're just finishing up Gundam 00 (which I enjoy), MS Igloo II (which I have yet to see) is being released, and that new 0081 production (which I'm looking forward to) is coming soon, so it's not really surprising that's all they have planned for this anniversary. It's far from doing nothing. I know a lot of people were holding out for an adaptation of Gundam Unicorn, but the serial hasn't even finished, as far as I know.

I wish they could do something grand like a remake of the original series but with new animation, but it's all right. Perhaps Sunrise should give Gundam a bit of a vacation for a while.

There are other mecha programs out there, folks. Stop depending so much on Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rockman nes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Jaice wrote:
i hope they don't continue on with 00 after this season ends. 00 has been kind of a disappointment.

Compared to the series previous two iterations, I'd say this is pretty good.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Any word on when Sci-Fi will air the second season?
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
............. Shocked what? common guys. Dam I hate this crap economy.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
I was also hoping for Gundam Unicorn or a decent remake of 0079 (not like an inspired remake -Gundam Seed- or a flawed one -Zeta gundam and A New Translation-) but I guess I aimed too high...

Well, maybe when The Origin manga finishes...I can only hope.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I guess even they're feeling the pinch of the shit-conomy.

No kidding.Unfortunately means bad news in the US side cause anything happen over there,WILL definately have a ripple effect here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OGT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
They just didn't time things very well if they really wanted a major gundam series to come out on gundam's 30th anniversary.

I'm pretty sure I remember, from pre-airing talk from Seiji Mizushima and Sunrise officials, that Gundam 00 was going to be their 30th Anniversary Gundam series, more or less (Gundam 00 ends right before the April 7 anniversary of the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam's airdate), or at least that Gundam 00 was going to be an integral part of the 30th Anniversary.

I can't really source this, though--that's just the impression I remember having before Gundam 00 aired in late 2007. Besides, thematically, it's a fairly appropriate 30th anniversary series: look at the 0 Gundam's resemblance to the original RX-78 Gundam from the original series, the nature of Innovators/Innovation, etc. Fits pretty well with the "Always Beginning"/renewal theme.

And budget crunch, yeah.
newborntoanime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that the 2nd season of Gundam 00 won't be dubbed? Please say no! Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4