• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Sets Guinness Record with 22.6 Billion Cards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I've never enjoyed this franchise in any non-abridged form..

This always makes me sad.

There is definitely a lot to hate about how it was adapted and merchandised, but anyone who likes any Shonen Jump series should give the manga a try.
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
ohmygosh 22.6 billion cards... I feel so dirty....

I haven't really played in over a year now especially since the whole lawsuit thing came up, but its not unusual for players to own over 500+ cards. And that's only if they were smart shoppers. People who enjoy the mystery of the booster packs probably have close to 1000+ cards if they played seriously for over 2+ years.

my friend, i too feel kinda dirty in helping making this possible...okay a little bit dirty.
but when i came back to yu gi oh, the game changed. i felt like Old Snake from Metal Gear Solid 4, the game changed. Synchros were the first major change. now the only way to win is to follow the crowd, and it cost alot to make a decent deck. the most is a $1,000. but now people are actually fighting in real life just for cards, fat 20 year old men are laughing at 9 year olds just for not winning a match. it's crazy. people using breifcases to hold their cards. the sad thing is i actually witnessed these things. the game really has changed.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Dinoguy1000 wrote:
It's been a long time since I last counted, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I had over 2000 cards total, including most of the JMP/JUMP promos (would love to get a mint JMP-001 Blue Eyes, though).

Aww dude, you should have told me like 2 years ago. I had like 3 of them then. I think I just have the starter deck ones now.
Aikoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

I've never enjoyed this franchise in any non-abridged form..

This always makes me sad.

There is definitely a lot to hate about how it was adapted and merchandised, but anyone who likes any Shonen Jump series should give the manga a try.

It doesn't make me sad, per say, but I do think that people who don't like the card game franchise might at least enjoy the original manga because unlike many marketing anime and manga, it didn't start out being about the card game. I actually prefer the original manga to the Duel Monsters manga and it's good to know that 5D's is going to be the last of the overall franchise.

Impressive numbers, though. I knew it was popular, but I didn't realize the numbers were that high.
Seitanoglu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I suspected that YGO would end up coming on top. When I was younger, I used to collect cards from just about any disparate source (usually ones brought by my relatives who worked in Western Europe) and I still have a nice collection stashed away. I was never a player of the game itself, but I loved owning the cards for their artwork.

Aikoh wrote:
It doesn't make me sad, per say, but I do think that people who don't like the card game franchise might at least enjoy the original manga because unlike many marketing anime and manga, it didn't start out being about the card game. I actually prefer the original manga to the Duel Monsters manga and it's good to know that 5D's is going to be the last of the overall franchise.

Impressive numbers, though. I knew it was popular, but I didn't realize the numbers were that high.

I have to wonder why the term 'marketing' ended up with such an overall negative connotation. It's not the first time when I've seen the YGO franchise criticized for making revenues off of its main feature -- the collectible card game -- and this baffles me, because I see no problem with it. Expecting either the original creator or the subsequent writing staff to do it all out of the boundless kindness in their hearts is endearingly naive at best and horribly misguided at worst. YGO is not the first series to be heavily supported by a certain kind of merchandise and it certainly won't be the last. In my opinion, this has had little impact on the story itself, which is enjoyable regardless if one is a card game enthusiast or not, due to the likable characters and the desire to see them succeed.

I've had a similar argument with someone who told me that they refused to watch any of the sequel series because they had been made with the purpose of cashing in on DM's high revenues. That made absolutely no sense to me because it worked on the assumption that the end product would be bad due to the original intent, when the person in question didn't even want to see the material and judge it for themselves. As far as I'm concerned, a producer could want to make a series for just about any crazy reason in this world and I would still watch it if the resulting product appealed to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2