• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds House of Five Leaves, The Tatami Galaxy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@Spastic Minnow - yeah, that's an important distinction: streaming rights does not automatically mean a DVD release. Witness the still lamentably unreleased Shikabane Hime series which Funi streamed last year. That being said, getting the streaming rights is at least a positive indication that a DVD release MAY happen at some point.

The difference is that the Shikabane Hime license was for streaming rights and DVD distribution.
This is simply a streaming license like CR have done with so many shows, meaning another studio could pick up the DVD license if they so desired (although you'd imagine FUNi has first dibs).
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Both these shows look horrible. They should have gotten K-ON and Angel Beats.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:

Sentai will probably get Angel Beats!.

Anyways, I am looking forward to watching both of these, both seem to be interesting and the animation style is different for both.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Don't kill my buzz, Spastic Minnow, with your facts-inforcing reality check. Sigh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:

You're right. They should totally have gotten the derivative moe-filled shows instead of the two most original shows of the season. Shame on them for trying to be high-brow!

Seriously, I do not get why people are so crazy about Angel Beats!. It's decent, but it's really good moments only come after waves of mediocrity.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Sentai specializes in that kind of stuff. I'm sure they'll satisfy your needs. They'll probably throw in B Gata H Kei as a bonus for ya.

@Tatami I know Yuasa, Mihara, and Choi were working on a French production recently, so I'm expecting the later two to pop up during the course of this series given their history with Yuasa. I'm so psyched for this show!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! Funimation is streaming the two Noitamina titles? That's awesome! The fact that one of the shows is directed by Yuasa just makes this even more awesome. Thank you Funimation, for providing legal streams to watch these two shows Smile

Maybe this is the first step to getting Kaiba here to the States... hmmmm.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@Spastic Minnow - yeah, that's an important distinction: streaming rights does not automatically mean a DVD release. Witness the still lamentably unreleased Shikabane Hime series which Funi streamed last year. That being said, getting the streaming rights is at least a positive indication that a DVD release MAY happen at some point.

The difference is that the Shikabane Hime license was for streaming rights and DVD distribution.
This is simply a streaming license like CR have done with so many shows, meaning another studio could pick up the DVD license if they so desired (although you'd imagine FUNi has first dibs).

Did not know that. Come on, Funi, spit out those Shikabane series, why dontcha? Or would you prefer I keep my money?
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Seriously, I do not get why people are so crazy about Angel Beats!. It's decent, but it's really good moments only come after waves of mediocrity.

Probably because Air, Kanon, and Clannad were so good. I haven't seen Angel Beats! yet but I have been looking forward to it since it was announced.

But yeah, these two other shows look promising, no reason to be upset Zilan.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I've been waiting and hoping that someone would sub House of Five Leaves. Being able to watch it legally is icing on the cake. Now I just hope it will be on Hulu like FMA Brotherhood. Smile
rowsdower

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:

Yes, because God forbid anime fans who dislike moe and "me too!" rehashes like Haruhi of the Dead get thrown a bone once in a while. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, this announcement makes me very, very happy. I was afraid that whatever they announced would have me feeling ambivalent at best or completely turned-off at worst. I'm almost finished with Kaiba and it's made me fall in love with Masaaki Yuasa, so I'm especially looking forward to Yojo-Han Shinwa Taikei/The Tatami Galaxy.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I had to read the title twice because happiness completely shut down my brain for a moment.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Weird choices for Funi...
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Homerun, Funimation!! I've been looking forward to both series, especially the Yuasa one. So awesome!! Thank goodness its Funi and not CR. A DVD release seems very likely now. I can wait for that (I hate streaming).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Thank goodness its Funi and not CR.

Unless they improve their player or it's also shown on Youtube or Hulu I cannot share in this part of the praise. Their own site's stream quality sucks and when I watched Strike Witches they completely ignored commercial breaks and instead would place their same three repeated commercials in the middle of a line of dialogue. Their pop-up player controls would also cover the subtitles.

CR's streams occasionally buffer at higher res, but it only takes a few moments to get past that and the picture is great. And pay your dues and you have no commercials at all.

...although I don't know what I'd think about paying for another simulcast subscription if they did that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6