• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chrono Crusade DVD 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Erufu wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I think their slipping on the 1920's references abit.

For example, in one of Az's Extra Classes, they make reference of the Gang Wars of the Prohibition Era. Problem is, they make NY seem to be the battleground of the gang wars, and references to Al Capone, when most of the action was in Chicago, where Al Capone had most of his operations and where some of the more imfamous Prohibition Crimes happened (St. Valentines Day Massacre, Elliot Ness, etc.).

Well, the creator does state in one of the mangas that he hopes an American audience can forgive him on his interpretation of a 1920s America. He said he was really nervous about how well it would be recieved in America. Plus, it's fiction, and fiction has a right to do whatever. It's not a historical fiction work, either. It just happens to take place in America. So, I think we can all get over this "mistake" and continue to love Chrno Crusade.

Considering that Az's Extra Classes is an extra on the DVD, ADV could've at least corrected the Translator notes to reflect factual truth instead of going gung-ho with it as is.

I really don't care about the anime itself, but seriously, when an extra is trying to explain some of the tidbits and little quirks in the Anime itself, can't they at least be accurate instead of turning into a History vs. Hollywood type of situation?

Yea really, just what ADV needs, more hardcore anime purists screaming because they changed it from the original. It's a double-edged sword, do they change it and get reemed because they changed it, or do they leave it and get reemed because they left it?

Either way, this anime is far from realistic, it shouldn't be treated as anything more than entertainment. Kinda wish people would stop looking so deeply into these things and just watch a show.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
DarkCntry wrote:

Yea really, just what ADV needs, more hardcore anime purists screaming because they changed it from the original. It's a double-edged sword, do they change it and get reemed because they changed it, or do they leave it and get reemed because they left it?

Either way, this anime is far from realistic, it shouldn't be treated as anything more than entertainment. Kinda wish people would stop looking so deeply into these things and just watch a show.

And the rest of the world wonders why we're such dummies in education.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote
I guess I missed the memo stating that because I watch a tv show for entertainment and not education that it classifies me as a 'dummy'.

Oh well, guess I will be dumb then.
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
OK, I couldn't remember exactly what the quote said, but thank you for looking it up.

And as far as translations go, if the commentary is even on the Japanese DVD, I doubt they translated anything and just sat down and gave their own commentary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2