• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online episodes 15-25

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Sugu's sugus were easily the best part of the arc, admittedly.

Sadly, I think I have to agree. I'm typically not too big on fanservice, but the attractive character designs at least made the experience marginally more bearable. The complementary popcorn to the terrible movie we were watching.

Seeing this review posted reminded me that I still hadn't actually finished watching the final two episodes. But, seeing as how there was the small chance the ending could alter my opinion, I went ahead and finally sat through them before writing this. Aaaaand, nope. Opinion is unchanged. Although, if Kirito had actually spoiler[slit Suguo's neck in the final epsidoe], it would have probably bumped my final score up a full letter grade.

But yeah. This show gets a D from me. It's roughly tied for the worst anime I've finished in the last 5 or so years.
(BUT, I admittedly don't watch many shows and carefully select them when I do - I'm sure there are many shows which would rate worse if I actually watched everything).

spoiler["Hay guys, you remember how we all went out to play paintball one day, but were then kidnapped and forced to fight against our will in deadly combat for two years while we watched people we knew and loved get their faces shot off?
Yeah, me too.
Glad we're finally free from that hell.

Hey, know what sounds fun?
Paintball!
Why don't we do it in the same place we were held captive and watched our friends die?
First one there is a rotten egg~!"
Tee hee~*]

^ Pretty much the final episode. Except, y'know, replace paintball with video games.

PS: Your review says "Fairy Queen Oberon" instead of "Fairy King Oberon", but, really, your version still works.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Ya like I stopped watching after the battle between Kirito and the Demon Sword User because that episode looked so much like a shounen fighting anime and I knew that the rest of the show was just gonna be like that. The worst part was that Kirito was screaming the whole time during that battle, and that made it look so repetitive that it made me sick.

Pretty much the only redeeming quality of the novel was its exploration of characters' emotions, but the anime failed in that, and as a result failed in general.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Consistent quality writing may be required to make a good series, but it is not necessary to make an entertaining one, and the Fairy Dance arc just reinforces that.

This is one of the finest backhanded compliments I have read in a review is quite a while.

In general, I agree with Key's assessment of the Fairy Dance arc. The brocon but not brocon aspect was a major detriment, and the massively over-the-top villain came close to losing me several times. (Though I don't agree with the earlier poster who suggested that sexual brutalization was the only thing at stake in this arc. Anyone who thinks that Suguo was going to let Asuna live after he had officially been "Married" to her and was her father's official heir is not understanding the situation at all.)
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I really, really enjoyed the second half, admittedly not as good as the first (but only just) but nevertheless it was still brilliant. Sugou was a fantastic villain, when he was on screen I found it hard to watch sometimes and he was utterly detestable which is what villains should be.

I thought the whole series was nearly flawless with only a couple of extremely minor niggles holding it back.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Guize.

Its Sugou, not Suguo.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
I really, really enjoyed the second half, admittedly not as good as the first (but only just) but nevertheless it was still brilliant. Sugou was a fantastic villain, when he was on screen I found it hard to watch sometimes and he was utterly detestable which is what villains should be.

I thought the whole series was nearly flawless with only a couple of extremely minor niggles holding it back.

But there's the villian you love to hate, and then theirs Sugou who's just a cliched, stereotypical powerhungry villain who is more annoying to watch than anything. The best example that always comes to my mind for the former is Gauron from FMP. That was a villain that I couldn't help but love to hate his guts and it made FMP all the better for it. Sugou is in no way like that.
drdr48

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it weird that the villain and the heroine of this arc has a very similar names?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
But there's the villian you love to hate, and then theirs Sugou who's just a cliched, stereotypical powerhungry villain who is more annoying to watch than anything. The best example that always comes to my mind for the former is Gauron from FMP. That was a villain that I couldn't help but love to hate his guts and it made FMP all the better for it. Sugou is in no way like that.

I wouldn't point to Gauron as a good example of a villain one loves to hate. I just found him irritating, to the point that he was the weakest aspect of the franchise for me. (Although spoiler[his final death scene] was pretty good.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Sugu's sugus

Why are people using "sugus" for "breasts"? =_= It makes no sense. Quit raping the Japanese language! D:<

As for SAO's second half, it would have been better to remove Suguha entirely. That entire subplot was freaking annoying. She kind of ruined it....to the point where I was getting annoyed by just seeing her on-screen. =_=

Miss Fanservice, indeed.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Why are people using "sugus" for "breasts"? =_= It makes no sense. Quit raping the Japanese language! D:

>rape
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Why are people using "sugus" for "breasts"? =_= It makes no sense. Quit raping the Japanese language! D:

>rape

i dont understand what using the greater-than sign with nothing in front of it is supposed to mean, and i dont just mean this particular situation
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sugu%27s+sugus

This thread is now on the first-page results. It's a rather unused term.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sugu%27s+sugus

This thread is now on the first-page results. It's a rather unused term.

Its mostly used on twitter, admittedly.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

The thing is Gauron is evil and EVERYONE knows he's evil, even his allies. So it really gives this sense of fear and gravitas to him. Sugou on the other hand is so bloody transparent that it makes SO many characters look like idiots (especially Asuna's dad, dear god). Had he been a bit more sly and grounded it might not have been as irritating, but considering that he turns into a caricature all suspension is just thrown RIGHT out the window. Like I said, it's like Koyasu knew how stupid this character was and just rolled with it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Sugou struck me as someone who is just very two-faced. Didn't he only reveal his ugly side to Kirito and Asuna? I thought his behavior was completely normal around her father.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16