• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Que Sera CERO

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
gwern wrote:
> In Gunbuster's case, it's a very old show with no dub, so Funimation is a pretty unlikely candidate for a license rescue, in any event.

And alas, probably never will have a dub: apparently the non-dub audio was lost in a fire or something, so all that's left is is a single audio track holding all the sound effects + music + Japanese dubbing in a single inextricable mix.

Maybe someone like Discotek will eventually get it, they seem to be moving into BD territory now, and even the 16mm episodes of Gunbuster look fine in 1080p.

Bryan wrote:
(I mean, how "Japanese" is Inuyasha? The answer: very. It's rife with Japanese folklore and culture.)

That's not so far Japanese, the story and dialog are fairly straight forward and presented in a fashion that anyone can understand. It's just important to make sure your voice actors don't stumble over words they will utter every single episode like "youkai" or their own names. Something like Zetsubou Sensei or Joshiraku are much harder to dub when they're talking about specific aspects of idiosyncratic Japanese culture and society, definitely involving words that not only have no English equivalent, but aren't even commonly brought over as Japanese words. You can use "youkai, oni, kappa, yurei" or other such examples because they're heard often in nearly every supernatural anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I pretty much agree with how Japan views violence vs sexuality. Sexual stuff isn't going to hurt anyone... its a natural thing. But promoting killing people in the most violent ways possible is a far worse thing than seeing bouncing boobs or panty shots. I've always thought it was kind of weird how Americans got all up in arms about a nipple being shown during the Super Bowl yet are totally okay with games where you go around killing innocent people.

I agree.. don't people always complain about Americans censors using phrases like "why is the outside of the body more taboo than the inside!" when referencing how a guy can get beheaded and his spine used as a whip but if they show a booby it'll get auto-banned/censored?

But it's funny because CERO rating seems very inconsistent. Sure, you might not get decapitation in one game, but then in another game like Xenosaga II you'll get a 10 year old pulling out a gun and blowing his own head off which was censored for the American version. Oh, and this game is rated CERO12 in Japan (kids 12 and up) So figure that one out. I imagine that's why Persona 3 was rated M here in the US, so little kids don't try to 'unlock their Persona' in real life.. and the Persona games are also rated for kids 12 and up in Japan. Then you got stuff like Siren Blood Curse being totally unedited in Japan yet apparently was heavily censored in America.

It seems to just be a free-for all when the CERO is involved.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Used bookstores that don't sell any new items at all have been around for centuries, and yet the publishing industry has survived. That's how a free market works -- manufacturers can't stop their customers from reselling merchandise.

You can't compare a book, which costs zero dollars to create outside the printing costs of the paper and binding, to a video game where you need to hire hundreds of people to work on it and costs millions of dollars to produce, not to mention is attached to a 300+ dollar machine people have to already own. Books have minimal upkeep and production costs compared to games.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Persona's rated M for the mild nudity at some parts and the metric tons of blood and sexual references.

And Mara.

Can't forget Mara.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Stuff that went too far: Dance in the Vampire Bund. Why, oh why did FUNimation ever get this show? It's got too much loli fanservice. Right at episode 2, I knew I just couldn't watch anymore! I'd rather not be branded as a pedophile, thank you very much!

Shows that are "too Japanese": The minute they started the abbreviated insults on SKET Dance, I knew then and there that it'd be a pain in the ass to translate into English. If you alter the lines right, it could work.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I pretty much agree with how Japan views violence vs sexuality. Sexual stuff isn't going to hurt anyone... its a natural thing. But promoting killing people in the most violent ways possible is a far worse thing than seeing bouncing boobs or panty shots. I've always thought it was kind of weird how Americans got all up in arms about a nipple being shown during the Super Bowl yet are totally okay with games where you go around killing innocent people.

I'm personally not seeing what's so wrong about violent video games--it's not real, dude. It's a video game. Playing one isn't going to make you into a murderer.

As for sexuality, blame the original Jews and Christians who brought Judaism/Christianity to Europe. European Pagan religions were drenched in sex.

Common misconception. All religions have sexual taboos, they just vary in nature.

Quote:
You can't compare a book, which costs zero dollars to create outside the printing costs of the paper and binding

Because aformating, wording and proof reading is done by bookworms feeding on the food for thought.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Stuff that went too far: Dance in the Vampire Bund. Why, oh why did FUNimation ever get this show? It's got too much loli fanservice. Right at episode 2, I knew I just couldn't watch anymore! I'd rather not be branded as a pedophile, thank you very much!

Yeah, no.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I've found the best way of introducing another person to anime is by first starting a conversation about in animation in general, and then get them used to the novel idea that it is not ALL for kids. A lot of people have to wrap their heads around that idea first. They get defensive when they think you are recommending "kid stuff" to them, and it works better if you get them away from that mindset at the beginning.

A good way I have found is to include it in a conversation about visual media, including television series and theatrical movies. You can use that starting point to steer the conversation into animation. Conversations about books can work too. I've actually found that bibliophiles are actually more receptive to anime and manga than people who don't read for pleasure.

It helps to listen to the person and find out what kind of movies they like to watch, or what kind of books they read. Their personal tastes can be very informative when it comes to recommendations.

It's worked for me, anyway.

I try to stay away from recommending anything with fanservice if the person is a woman. That can have the opposite effect of your objective. They start thinking that ALL anime is like that.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Because aformating, wording and proof reading is done by bookworms feeding on the food for thought.

All of which is completely negligible compared to a video game. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit in his spare time and even the first few print runs were inexpensive, even during wartime with paper rationing.

All you need to make a manuscript is a word processor and your brain. Casting just one professional voice actor would already put the production cost above that of a book. To say nothing of the hundreds of programmers, graphic artists, marketing, and all the other people required. Not to mention licensing fees to Sony the big systems. Last I checked DevKits cost about $10,000 USD to buy from them to start making games for their platforms.

Unless we're talking games coded in Java for a class project, books don't have to sell anywhere near as many units to turn a profit like games do. Games can be considered a failure even if they sell 1 million copies.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
But I personally thought your comments on gamestop were harsh

I thought they were appropriate. Gamestop goes beyond just selling used games to actively trying to convince people not to buy new titles.

Used bookstores that don't sell any new items at all have been around for centuries, and yet the publishing industry has survived. That's how a free market works -- manufacturers can't stop their customers from reselling merchandise.

Unlike Gamestop, that one used bookstore is not the #1 games retailer by any reasonable metric nor do they make any pretense about selling new games.

Gamestop is the #1 game specific retailer and they actively try to get people not to buy used games to the point that a consumer has to tell them like three times or threaten to leave the store before they will stop trying to push a new game on them. You can't compare one mom and pops store to like the number #1 games specific retailer with multiple stores in damn near every state.

Anime, which is already pretty niche, would be devastated by the #1 anime specific retailer actively trying to push used product to the degree that Gamestop does. Maybe a mainstream medium like books can survive but I think a niche medium would be crushed by the weight of something like this.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
EireformContinent wrote:

All of which is completely negligible compared to a video game. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit in his spare time and even the first few print runs were inexpensive, even during wartime with paper rationing.

All you need to make a manuscript is a word processor and your brain. Casting just one professional voice actor would already put the production cost above that of a book. To say nothing of the hundreds of programmers, graphic artists, marketing, and all the other people required. Not to mention licensing fees to Sony the big systems. Last I checked DevKits cost about $10,000 USD to buy from them to start making games for their platforms.

Unless we're talking games coded in Java for a class project, books don't have to sell anywhere near as many units to turn a profit like games do. Games can be considered a failure even if they sell 1 million copies.

::sigh:: here we go again,
you know I haven't had any disagreements/arguments/"discussions" with you in a while titan because for a little while it seemed as though you might have been trying to not be insulting, but yeah you're notion of the publishing industry is kind of insulting.

Sure the process of producing books is completely different from producing a video game, but that doesn't suddenly make the process dirt cheap. To be fair the comparison really is apples and oranges, but despite that again it's still not cheap. People don't just throw nickles and dimes at a printing press and words materialize on the pages. A wealth of creativity, conviction, and ambition is needed to even create something publishable and even with that it's still a long road.

First you've got to have an idea and you've got to have the talent to articulate that idea in a way that people will want read about it. After you've written it, you've got to have an agent. People say you don't need an agent, but not only is it way harder to get your manuscript published without one....well, no that's it, it's way harder to get published without an agent and the road is way longer. After you've gotten an agent (no easy feat), the agent queries your manuscript to a publisher, if you're lucky an agent picks up the manuscript, an editor works on it to rough out the wrinkles, promotion is put in place so people know about the book, and after copies are made it hits the shelf at a retailer. In the end, the publisher needs to be paid, the editor needs to be paid, the agent needs to be paid, payment goes to whatever services were utilized to promote, the retailer gets a cut of every sale, and then the last but not least the author is paid. And all of this isn't even taking into account the off chance that the copies sent to retailers don't leave the shelves fast enough and end up getting sent back to the publisher in which money is lost.

tl, dr, publishing is serious business and it isn't cheap.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But it's funny because CERO rating seems very inconsistent. Sure, you might not get decapitation in one game, but then in another game like Xenosaga II you'll get a 10 year old pulling out a gun and blowing his own head off which was censored for the American version. Oh, and this game is rated CERO12 in Japan (kids 12 and up) So figure that one out. I imagine that's why Persona 3 was rated M here in the US, so little kids don't try to 'unlock their Persona' in real life.. and the Persona games are also rated for kids 12 and up in Japan. Then you got stuff like Siren Blood Curse being totally unedited in Japan yet apparently was heavily censored in America.

Infamous got CERO Z rating in Japan, despite it being a teens game and not an adults game. Even though Infamous can not compare with most Japanese games in terms of violence and sexual nature. mdo will give a better insight than I can, but why is that? It wasn't censored, but still. Also, other games from the US, which were bloody and violent were censored in Japan. Although, KH was censored for the US, despite having cartoonish violence at best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xigbar_gun_comparison.png

Also, we never get dual audio for KH games EVER. Same with Metal Gear.

NOTE: No More Heroes is way more violent in it's American/Canadian format than it is in ANY OTHER FORMAT, since the Japanese version is CENSORED and this is even WORSE than what Japan do to COD or what America do to KH, since JAPAN is censoring their OWN game.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I try to stay away from recommending anything with fanservice if the person is a woman.

Unless it's fanservice for women Wink

@DomonX2

Like I mentioned in the thread about Viz and Shueisha, some Japanese companies are paranoid when dealing with overseas perception and reputation and often play it way too safe (although we can say the same of some American publishers too) so that often, ironcally local publishers who aren't so cozy with the Japanese counterparts are in a better position to leave things less censored. However, again it isn't "Japan" per se. It's CERO, whose overall policies are much worse than ESRB. If it were actually Japan, then this would be reflected across all media, not just console games.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
[No More Heroes is way more violent in it's American/Canadian format than it is in ANY OTHER FORMAT, since the Japanese version is CENSORED

Most versions of "NMH" remove the blood, but there's the "Red Zone" edition for PS3, which is essentially the same as the US version of "Heroes' Paradise." Rated "Z," of course.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I try to stay away from recommending anything with fanservice if the person is a woman.

Unless it's fanservice for women Wink

Nope, even then.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Also, we never get dual audio for KH games EVER. Same with Metal Gear.

Nor are we likely to, since the "International" version of those franchies are re-programmed so that the characters mouth movements are synced to the English version. It does make the English "dubs" for these games substantially more natural, but means you're kind of up a creek if you want to add the Japanese audio back in; you've stripped out a lot more code than "Character X, Line 340", and keeping both the JP audio and the alternate mouth movements is simply too much work for most publishers to justify. I really wish they could, but...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5