• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Very Anime Christmas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ah, somebody's forgetting Gundam 0080's Christmas episode.

Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed Mike. Whats up with all the mainstream shows? Azumanga, CCS, ROD, Love Hina etc? I most definitely agree with Tokyo Godfathers at the top, but the rest of these are so mainstream and obvious.

Now, you should've mentioned ep 12 of Superbook, "The First Christmas." I know it was a classic Christmas cartoon in my house growing up.

But nonetheless, good read, good theme.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
My problem with Tokyo Godfathers is that Kon keeps on changing his mind on what kind of movie it was going to be so it changes between a traditional Christmas movie where the hand of God trying to bring three homeless people and a baby back to the baby's family to a pretty cynical movie which has scenes where one of the homeless people is attacked by thugs and left for dead. Basically imagine if in Rudolph the Red nose Reindeer, the Elf foreman break's Hermies legs with a sledgehammer while mocking Hermie's dream of being a dentist.

But he gets rescued by a (somewhat literal) fairie right after he gets beaten up!

Sure some bad things happen to the characters in Tokyo Godfathers, but something good also happens right after. For all the struggles they endure, they do end up getting rewarded for their kindness and deterimanation for the baby.

I really don't see anything cynical about it at all. If anything the movie's message seems to be, "good things really can happen to good people".

Yes, he did survive, but the fact of the matter is that I never really got the idea that everything is going to turn out okay. Hana is the only person who I felt good for, and Hana never really had any problem in the first place.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Amagami SS has some cute Christmas endings.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Two of my favorite Christmas episodes from a single show is Toradora 18 and 19. It's very non traditional, kinda depressing really as spoiler[none of the characters really get what they want and they all end up alone that night].

Emerje

[edit]zanarkand princess beats me to it. That's what I get for being distracted once again by Transformers...

Last edited by Emerje on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Yes, he did survive, but the fact of the matter is that I never really got the idea that everything is going to turn out okay. Hana is the only person who I felt good for, and Hana never really had any problem in the first place.

Isn't that how real miracles work, though? I mean, what makes it all so incredible is things fell into place despite the shortfalls.

It's like that old chinese parable/fable/saying thingy... a man finds a horse (good). The horse runs away (bad). The horse returns with a second horse (good). The second horse throws the man's son and breaks his leg (bad.) The next day the military comes to take young men to war, but of course leaves the injured boy (good). The lesson- you can't tell what the real miracles are until all is said and done. After all, wasn't Gin reunited with the others becuase the people they were staying with found him hurt?

The fact that you keep thinking this time, it's hopless, but then something happens to restore hope... it gives a sort of whimsy, or magic to the whole thing. I think it's wonderful.

(For the record, Tokyo Godfathers is my favorite anime film, hands down.)
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I plan to finish out the Pikachu Winter Vacation eps this season. I've liked them a lot, but I get really annoyed by the stupid Santa promotion.

I like the Super Gals Christmas ep! The one in season 2 with the lose zoo monkey. So fun, charming, and funny. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I've harbored a similar fascination with the Japanese fixation on certain facets of Western culture, particularly Christmas, and how that gets reflected/refracted back to us via the prism of anime. Without getting too "meta", I also find Western interpretation of Japan's notions of Western culture to be equally enlightening.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I've been maintaining a list titled The Ultimate Anime Christmas Episode Guide on my local club's forum for several years now. The title may err a bit on the grandiose as it may not truly be comprehensive but it should be fairly close.

It's been a bit more of a time sink than I anticipated so perhaps it'll be more appreciated by the vastly larger community here as I suspect more than a few anime fans find the idea of a Christmas episode marathon with friends/family over the holidays to be a blast.

Enjoy...

009-1 (OAV)[Ep. 2] - Holy Night
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy (TV)[Ep. 2-4] - Ah! The Troubled Queen of Revenge!, Ah! I Offer You This Feeling On Christmas Eve, Ah! I Offer You This Feeling on Christmas Eve!
Ai Yori Aoshi ~ Enishi[Special] - Beautiful Snow
Angel Beats![Ep. 7] - Alive
Azumanga Daioh[Ep. 17] - Osaka's Scary Stories
Baka to Test to Shōkanjū[Ep. 8] - Runaway and Maze and the Summoned Beast Instrumentality Project
Big-O[Ep. 11] - Daemonseed
Boys Be...[Ep. 11] - The First Snowfall
Cardcaptor Sakura[Ep. 35] - Sakura's Wonderful Christmas
Charger Girl Ju-den Chan[Ep. 10] - Present!?
Chocotto Sister[Ep. 24] - Happy Christmas
Chrono Crusade[Ep. 12] - Holy Night
Comic Party[Ep. ??] - Can't track down an episode number. Might be Revolution.
Clannad After Story[Ep. 10] - Season of Beginnings
Cyborg 009[Ep. 11] - Christmas Eve Mirage
Dai Guard[Ep. 13] - Things That Can be Forgiven, Things that Can't be Forgiven
Devil Lady[Ep. 11] - Box
Doraemon[Ep. 45] - Santa Claus in Emergencies
Excel Saga[Ep. 12] - Big City Part II
Di Gi Charat[Ep. 16, 21] - Usada Explodes, Di Gi Charat Christmas Special
Full Moon wo Sagashite[Ep. 37] - A Present from Full Moon
Ghost Hunt[Ep. 12-13] - FILE 5: Silent Christmas
[Mobile Suit] Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket[Ep. 5] - Say it Ain't So, Bernie!
Gunparade March[Ep. 12] - Whenever You Say Goodbye
Gunslinger Girl[Ep. 4] - Bambola - Doll
Hamtaro(TV)[Ep. 10] - Merry Christmas!
Happy Lesson(OAV)[Ep. 3] - Unsettling - Happy Mamas!
Hayate the Combat Butler[Ep. 1]'Unmei' In English Is 'Destiny'
Hetalia[Ep. 28, 31] - Smile In The World, Academy Hetalia Christmas
Hetalia World Series[Ep. 19, 20] - How Everyone Spent Their Christmas, America and Christmas
Hidamari Sketch[Ep. 12] - December 25: Goodbye Ume-sensei
Honey and Clover(TV)[Ep. 4] - "Actually, I don't like Christmas all that much..." The boy and girl are swayed
If I See You in My Dreams(OAV)[Ep. 3] - One Snowy Christmas Eve...
Irresponsible Captain Tylor(OAV)[Ep. 6] - White Christmas
K-On![Ep. 7] - Christmas!
Kamichu[Ep. 13] - We Do What We Want
Kämpfer[Ep. 12] - Their Christmas: The Entrails' Miracle
Karin[Ep. 19] - A Couple's Eve is Embarassing
Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl (OAV)
Kimagure Orange Road[Ep. 38] - Kyosuke Timetrips! The Third Christmas
Kimi ni Todoke[Ep. 22] - Christmas
Kodocha[Ep. 38, 89] - The Special Christmas Kiss, Hallelujah on X-mas eve? My heart...
Kyōran Kazoku Nikki[Ep. 21] - Black Santa is Sleepless in the Night
Love Hina Christmas Special - Silent Eve[Movie]
Lovely Complex[Ep. 2, 10] - The Ex-Girlfriend Love Triangle?!, A Confrontation With The Ex-Girlfriend?! The Epic Breast-Baring Battle!!
Lucky Star[Ep. 11] - The Various Ways for Spending the Holy Night
Lupin III: Pt. 2(TV)[Ep. 12] - The Sleight Before Christmas
Macross(TV)[Ep. 35, 64] - Romanesque, Christmas is in the Hands of the Goddess
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's[Ep. 9, 11] - Christmas Eve, A Gift for Christmas Eve
Magikano[Ep. 11] - [Was it Really a Holy Night?
Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful[Ep. 5] - Will I Catch a Cold Tomorrow?
Maison Ikkoku[Ep. 2, 18, 39, 40] - Love is in the Air? Which one Does Kyoko Love Best?, Kyoko's Gift ! "What , You Mean it's For Me?", Love Takes Guts! Godai’s Part Time Job Ploy!, A Bittersweet Favor! Budding Christmas Love!?
Maria Watches Over Us (Season 4)[Ep. 7] - Blank Map of the Future
Marmalade Boy[Ep. 40/41] - A Holy night. I'm alone on Christmas Eve/The morning of lovers. Merry Christmas
Martian Successor Nadesico[Ep. 13] - There Is No Single Truth
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch[Ep. 38] - A Christmas Present
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Pure[Ep. 38] - Battle on Christmas Eve
Minami-ke(TV)[Ep. 12] - Of Christmas And Eves
My Santa[Movie]
My Wife is a High School Girl[Ep. 26] - I will always love you...
Neo Ranga[Ep. 35/36] - What Happened to Christmas Eve?/Christmas in Crisis
Ninja Nonsense[Ep. 10A] - The Ninjas Have Christmas
Oh My Goddess(OAV)[Ep. 4, 5] - Evergreen Holy Night, For the Love of Goddess
Patlabor(TV)[Ep. 10/11] - Eve's Trap/Eve's Terror
Pokemon[Ep. 65] - Holiday Hi-Jinx
Popotan[Ep. 8] - Christmas
Pretty Cure[Ep. 44] - A Holiday Visitor
Pretty Cure: Max Heart[Ep. 42] - A Rink Full of Sweethearts? Slipping and Falling into Grave Danger!
Pretty Cure: Splash Star[Ep. 42] - Cake, Kazuya and Christmas!
Prince of Tennis[Ep. 165] - The Tenipuri Family Goes to Hawaii?! - Christmas at the Tenipuri Family
R.O.D. the TV[Ep. 10] - A Christmas Carol
Rahxephon[Ep. 8] - The Dreaming Stone
Ranma 1/2(OAV)[Ep. 2] - Tendo Family Christmas Scramble
Ranma 1/2(TV)[Ep. 75] - Step Outside
Rental Magica[Ep. 12] - Requiem for the Holy Night
Sailor Moon S: Hearts in Ice(Movie)
Saiyuki Reload[Ep. 13] - ~Lovely Baby~ Just a Tiny Tiny Story
School Rumble[Ep. 19] - Here, There, Everywhere Is Christmas! Bravely Moving Forward For Christmas! Shatter, Christmas!
Sgt. Frog[Ep. 39, 90, 192] - Keroro Christmas Battle / Keroro Spring Cleaning Battle, Keroro, I Cannot Say Merry Christmas, Keroro, Christmas Prevent!/Keroro Platoon Cake is a Man's Battlefield!
Shugo Chara[Ep. 10, 12, 13] - Character Transformation! Amulet Clover!, Sad Christmas Eve!, Big Disturbance! New Year Live!
Sister Princess[Ep. 20] - Christmas Love Destiny
Stellvia[Ep. 12] - Confession
Strawberry 100%](TV)[Ep. 14] - Christmas of Past Loneliness
Strawberry Marshmallow[Ep 12] - Present
Super Gals![Ep. 39] - Holy Night! - Ring! Ring! - Emergency Bell of Love!
Tenchi Muyo: Daughter of Darkness[Movie]
Those Who Hunt Elves[Ep. 21] - Those Who Wait For Noel
To Heart[Ep. 12] - The Season of Emotions
To Heart: Remember My Memories[Ep. 10] - A Long Night
Tōka Gettan[Ep. 9] - Snow
Tokyo Godfathers[Movie]
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho(Second Season)[Ep. 6]Militant Fist Chapter: A Christmas Eve Without Smiles
Tokyo Mew Mew[Ep. 37] - The Shining Tear: Celebrating Christmas with just the Two of Us
Toradora![Ep. 17-19] - Mercury Retrogrades at Christmas, Under the Fir Tree, Christmas Eve Festival
Urusei Yatsura[Ep. 10] - Pitter-Patter Christmas Eve
Vandread[Ep. 10] - White Love
Wedding Peach DX(OAV)[Ep. 3] - Reunion ~ We Even Fight on Christmas ~
Yes! Pretty Cure 5[Ep. 42] - Nozomi and Coco's Christmas Vow
You're Under Arrest[Ep. 11] - Santa Claus Panic

P.S. I still plan to maintain the original list so, should this article pop up again next year, I'd be happy to post the updated list.

Updated: Included some great additions by Zalis116.

Last edited by Tsunami3k on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The extra episode "Beautiful Snow" from Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ deserves a mention. Very sweet little story that takes place shortly before the beginning of the first season, and features an Aoi look-alike as Santa.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
You are not a doofus for liking Cardcaptor Sakura, you are an awesome man who knows something good when they see it, and if I could get my boyfriend to watch Cardcaptor Sakura with me and he'd actually admit to liking it well... that'd be attractive in some weird way.

Nadesico Christmas ep for the win of all Christmas eps in terms of tv series. Other than that, Tokyo Godfathers is the obvious choice to watch with Christmas movies in general, anime or not.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Tsunami3k wrote:
Anyway, for what it's worth, I've been maintaining a list titled The Ultimate Anime Christmas Episode Guide on my local club's forum for several years now. The title may err a bit on the grandiose as it may not truly be comprehensive but it should be fairly close.

Oh, very thorough. The only one missing I noticed offhand is Futari wa Pretty Cure episode 44 (link to Crunchyroll's legit stream).

Also, the Bottle Fairy "December" episode, though that one doesn't really count as it spoiler[only starts off as a Christmas episode until the fairies realize they're almost a week too late and it's New Year's Eve].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Isn't that how real miracles work, though? I mean, what makes it all so incredible is things fell into place despite the shortfalls.

It's like that old chinese parable/fable/saying thingy... a man finds a horse (good). The horse runs away (bad). The horse returns with a second horse (good). The second horse throws the man's son and breaks his leg (bad.) The next day the military comes to take young men to war, but of course leaves the injured boy (good). The lesson- you can't tell what the real miracles are until all is said and done. After all, wasn't Gin reunited with the others becuase the people they were staying with found him hurt?

The fact that you keep thinking this time, it's hopless, but then something happens to restore hope... it gives a sort of whimsy, or magic to the whole thing. I think it's wonderful.

Except that theirs no way that the couple can actually make it spoiler[the wife is clearly in need of therapy she can't afford, and theirs nothing that shows me the husband can actually change his ways.]

Gin will most likely waste the lottery ticket he got gambling, Hana will probably go back to working at the bar, while Miyuki faces years of therapy to control her emotions.

It's a great story about how the dredge of society must make a trek to save a baby, while exploring what made them homeless, but I never saw it as something along the lines of How the Grinch stole Christmas or It's a Wonderful life.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
List also left out School Days. As dark and ineptly written that series was for anime how could we forget that feeling of the joyless Christmas Makoto managed to resurrect reconnecting with Kotonoha in time for the Holidays. Nice boat.
ToliverChap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
A correction on this great article. It is Big O ep. 11, not 10.

Cowboy Bebop ep. 11 (it has "toys" in the title and the only music played in the entire episode is "Waltz of Flowers" from The Nutcracker Suite).

Last edited by ToliverChap on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Except that theirs no way that the couple can actually make it spoiler[the wife is clearly in need of therapy she can't afford, and theirs nothing that shows me the husband can actually change his ways.]

Gin will most likely waste the lottery ticket he got gambling, Hana will probably go back to working at the bar, while Miyuki faces years of therapy to control her emotions.

It's a great story about how the dredge of society must make a trek to save a baby, while exploring what made them homeless, but I never saw it as something along the lines of How the Grinch stole Christmas or It's a Wonderful life.

Well if you're going to think about TG's ending like that, you can also make the argument that maybe after the adrenaline wore off, the Grinch's heart shrunk back down three sizes, he poisoned the roast beast at the dinner, killing all off everyone in Whoville, then used Cindy-Lou's scalp as a hat while he burned all the presents in a pagan ceremony. Laughing

OR...everyone in both stories really did manage to live happily ever after...what with them being christmas movies and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5