• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Launch 'Keep Anime Alive' Pro-Industry Site

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
If I remember correctly, doesn't Greg Ayres have panels at conventions about fansubs and their harms on the industry? Or is it someone else? I can't remember - I just remember there was a VA that has done panels like that.

Yes, it's Greg Ayres. I credit his panel specifically with converting me from constantly downloading torrents and buying tons of bootlegs to buying/watching only legit releases whenever possible (side note: I agree with people that it's not horribly evil to watch fansubs when the shows are not available legitimately, with Madoka Magica being a good recent example--but if you really like it, try to buy it if it IS ever released here). It was a complete epiphany--I highly recommend his panel if you see it offered at a con. I ran something similar at PortConMaine for a couple years, but as Greg can talk about the industry and I can mostly only talk about the law, he's more exciting than I am.

At any rate--I think this project is a good idea, and I hope it is effective.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
So long as no one goes into "guilt people into buying stuff" over there, I'm all for it.

I've spent thousands of dollars buying DVDs, comic books, and other merch over the years. The last thing I want to be told is that stuff's going down the toilet because fans aren't doing enough. If I want to watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I have to see it via fansub at the moment, but that doesnt' mean I wont' buy a DVD release or watch any legal streams when they become available.

If this only becomes something positive to promote legal purchases, I'm all for it. As a collector and a fan, I want to be able to keep my hobby alive and kicking as much as possible.

But I refuse to say "yay" to anything demonizing fansubs that are unavailable outside of importing outrageously expensive DVDs that I can't understand anyway.

Agreed on all counts.
If they don't go about this the right way, the people who are wholesale stealing their anime are just going to laugh, and the people who are spending what few pennies they have for entertainment only on anime are going to feel like they aren't helping at all.

Otherwise, more power to them! Perhaps with a concerted effort, fans can help the industry regain its footing in our nasty economic climate.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
I fully support this site. I've already bookmarked it on my web browser. I'd love to see those interviews with Greg when they arrive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Altare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not condoning piracy, but the market for anime in america is terrible. The companies should be doing something about it. It's sad that the consumer is the one who has to fix it.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
Hey look, a bunch of useful idiots have made a website. The consumer owes NOTHING to the industry. If the industry does not meet the needs of the consumer, it is in the industry's benefit to change. But hey, if it makes you feel better to be a tool, be a tool.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Hey look, a bunch of useful idiots have made a website. The consumer owes NOTHING to the industry. If the industry does not meet the needs of the consumer, it is in the industry's benefit to change. But hey, if it makes you feel better to be a tool, be a tool.

You must certainly feel better then.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 am Reply with quote
Altare wrote:
I'm not condoning piracy, but the market for anime in america is terrible. The companies should be doing something about it. It's sad that the consumer is the one who has to fix it.

The only thing I'm worried about is how anime would be accepted in America television. Really I buy Funi DVD and sometimes buy Japanese DVD's. Fansubs are not the problem at all. The internet is still growing and TV maybe out in years soon.

This is so appalling to me because I thought everyone understood of what fansubs can do.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
Nayu wrote:

You must certainly feel better then.

Welcome to the world of Capitalism, I hope you enjoy your learning experience.
Altare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Altare wrote:

The only thing I'm worried about is how anime would be accepted in America television. Really I buy Funi DVD and sometimes buy Japanese DVD's. Fansubs are not the problem at all. The internet is still growing and TV maybe out in years soon.

This is so appalling to me because I thought everyone understood of what fansubs can do.

Most of my anime is fansubbed, but were it not for the fansubs, I wouldn't own most of the dvds I do now.
BigSpoon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Altare wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
Altare wrote:

Most of my anime is fansubbed, but were it not for the fansubs, I wouldn't own most of the dvds I do now.

This is nothing but a cop out. You buy your dvds sure that's excellent but there is way too many people using this excuse. The problem does lie within the "fans", because not enough dvds are being bought. There are plenty of ways of knowing if you would enjoy a certain show, via streams, clips, AMVs, articles or even trailers. To fully watch a show illegally then say oh yeah that's great I'll buy it or worst case scenario oh noes it's bad I don't want it, is certainly not the correct decision making. You can't watch it for free that's the main focus.

It's the same way with our media like Hollywood movies. You either go to the theater or buy the dvds. Or even TV which validates in ratings. There is always revenue and profit. You just can't download something illegally. That is the main problem too many people try to justify when there is no way around to even actually justifying it.
Altare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
BigSpoon wrote:
Altare wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
Altare wrote:

This is nothing but a cop out. You buy your dvds sure that's excellent but there is way too many people using this excuse. The problem does lie within the "fans", because not enough dvds are being bought. There are plenty of ways of knowing if you would enjoy a certain show, via streams, clips, AMVs, articles or even trailers. To fully watch a show illegally then say oh yeah that's great I'll buy it or worst case scenario oh noes it's bad I don't want it, is certainly not the correct decision making. You can't watch it for free that's the main focus.

It's the same way with our media like Hollywood movies. You either go to the theater or buy the dvds. Or even TV which validates in ratings. There is always revenue and profit. You just can't download something illegally. That is the main problem too many people try to justify when there is no way around to even actually justifying it.

They should try marketing the dvds better. No one is going to take a chance on something that costs 30$ for about 3 episodes.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 am Reply with quote
Altare wrote:

Terrible? They offer you complete series for less than the cost of one R2 DVD. How is that terrible?

Altare wrote:

They should try marketing the dvds better. No one is going to take a chance on something that costs 30$ for about 3 episodes.

Where have you been? Under a rock?? Singles died out years ago. Try again bud.

Sorry, but you sound like fansub scum. Your excuses are illogical and outdated.

Last edited by luffypirate on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Altare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Altare wrote:

I see them all the time. Do you even know what you're talking about?
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
BigSpoon wrote:
Altare wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
Altare wrote:

It wasn't the fans, just the consumers and people who don't want to give a good pitch to sell. The truth is alot of opportunities wasn't given to the audience. All you care about is pleasing those suits, remember AS paid Sunrise to make another second season Big-O. Japan never like Big-O but America did. The problem was they couldn't get into primetime and ratings were a factor. Now AS is on 9:00pm-6:00am, pretty harsh isn't it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Altare wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Altare wrote:

I see them all the time. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Stop shopping at Best Buy Laughing

And yeah, I know what I'm talking about. If you think $10 an episode is the norm in the R1 market then you obviously don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11