• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Laugh Factory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bad English accents have a way of ruining shows and movies set in England—especially when it's a period piece that relies on linguistic differences between classes.

This was my opinion too, either go full true British VAs or go home. Half assing it like Licensed by Royal where it's an obvious forced accent would have just been atrocious. I'd want them to actually sound the part, like comparing The King's Speech to Your Highness.

All of the humor in PSG's cursing comes from the Japanese inflection: fakku, sheet! In English, proper placement of curse words is what makes them hilarious, not spouting them endlessly. Lincoln had me cracking up several times from comedic timing.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love Republican jokes as much as the next blue blood, but after three seasons… at some point, Newt Gingrich stops being a viable punch line.

I am a conservative, and I laughed at most of the Republican jokes in the first 2 seasons. They were actually somewhat funny and showed a little bit of effort at least. The 3rd season however I was groaning every time the political "jokes" came up (which unfortunately seemed like half this set, the other half was still good though). All the humor seems to have been replaced with plain old bitterness, and its almost as if their fallback for not being able to come up with something funny was "hey guys, lets vent our rage at those hateful Republicans again!!" As much as I loved the show, I'm glad to see it die if that is the path it would have travelled down in the future.

AnimeMaine wrote:
Additionally, (and I could be wrong about this) if Bamboo mentions that there are a lot of Republican jokes, there may not be as many Democratic jokes. I enjoy equal-opportunity comedy, but just bashing one side turns me off.

ShinChan is definitely one sided, its like watching a circle jerk. Despite that the first 2 seasons managed to be funny, the 3rd one however was more like that South Park where Whoopie Goldberg was just repeating "Republicans are stupid!" and everyone was laughing as if it was supposed to be funny.

Last edited by Hardgear on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
And that, distilled, is the typical reaction toward Panty & Stocking. It's weird and it's gross and it's bizarre… but I'm not sure it's funny.

I saw 2 episodes and that was pretty much my reaction to it. Maybe its because it felt so over the top trying to parody gross-out that it just wasn't funny to me or maybe its just my age finally kicking in.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
Bad English accents have a way of ruining shows and movies set in England—especially when it's a period piece that relies on linguistic differences between classes.
This was my opinion too, either go full true British VAs or go home. Half assing it like Licensed by Royal where it's an obvious forced accent would have just been atrocious. I'd want them to actually sound the part, like comparing The King's Speech to Your Highness.
I've been hoping the show would get a UK release with a dub from there and I could just import it. Doesn't look like that's ever going to happen though.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much agreed with how they handled Panty and Stocking. The dub voices are nice but I think they had a little too much fun for improving stuff on the original script.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Mmmm glad I picked up the complete series of Emma over at rightstuf like a year ago for 50 bucks. Also that collection is AWESOME! Maison Ikkoku manga Shocked
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
PipingHotTea wrote:
Pretty much agreed with how they handled Panty and Stocking. The dub voices are nice but I think they had a little too much fun for improving stuff on the original script.

But Gainax told them to, from what I understand. I believe that was part of the joke. I confess I haven't seen to much of the original subs, but I know that Panty said f*ck and sh*t a lot in some scenes. Anyway, it seemed they were making fun of the whole cussing thing. I guess it's stupid to us because we've been there, done that as far as comedy goes. But I guess it may have been hilarious to the Japanese audience.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“So then why not just watch the Japanese version?” you ask. Because comedy is inherently cultural. Watching a British or Japanese or French comedy is very different from watching an American comedy. The comic timing is different, the origin points for satire or referential humor are different, and the limits for what pushes social boundaries is different. So as an American consumer, I would expect the English adaptation of a Japanese comedy to be the one that most suits the greater American populace.

I read this review just after writing a long disquisition on the 2007 Madhouse production Oh! Edo Rocket, one of my favorite anime series of all time. Funimation took considerable liberties in the English translation of a show that is full of Japanese historical and cultural references. Some of them are quite funny (the portrayal of a "playboy" character as an Elvis impersonator, for instance), but others miss the mark.

Rocket is a show that routinely breaks the "fourth wall," and in the New Year's recap episode, fourteen, the cast discusses whether a particular scene will be understood by foreign audiences. This was years before Funi picked up the license. I watched it in fansubs which included some excellent translator notes for the scenes with more obscure references. I thought it was hilarious in the Japanese version. I own the Funi DVDs for moral reasons, but I still watch the fansubs because I prefer that translation to Funimation's "localized" version.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

But Gainax told them to, from what I understand. I believe that was part of the joke. I confess I haven't seen to much of the original subs, but I know that Panty said f*ck and sh*t a lot in some scenes. Anyway, it seemed they were making fun of the whole cussing thing. I guess it's stupid to us because we've been there, done that as far as comedy goes. But I guess it may have been hilarious to the Japanese audience.

Aw snap, I didn't know about that Surprised. But looking back at the dub, it does have some merits.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
PipingHotTea wrote:

You would be correct sir. Just flipped through my Dec 2010 issue of Young Ace and the sfx in the background of the manga is literally 'fuuuucked' in roman letters and everything... wow that manga is a bit disturbing... the engrish inthe background multiplies that by a lot: 'who is me?' 'she is so deadful' Confused I haven't seen the anime or read the manga but this looks... weird to say the least.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I remember watching Emma back in the day on fansubs. I assumed it was the sort of show that would never get a DVD release in a million years, so I'm glad someone decided to take the plunge. Must buy it soon.

You almost make it sound as though R1 Emma hasn't been on sale for four and a half years (24 Jun '08 release date, arriving at my door on 1 Jul '08, and I actually placed my order with RightStuf a full year before that [13 Jul '07]). What's taking you so long? ^^
Sleverin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^But wasn't there a lot less cursing in the Japanese?

Eeehhhhhhhhhh not really. There are enough times where Panty is just yelling "F***,F***,F***,F***" a good 10 or more times, and calling people a series of rather foul names. The foul names, at least with the subs I watched might be closer to the dub, however, the f-ing s*** being yelled over and over was quite clear in English. I, for one absolutely adored Panty and Stocking, at least in sub form. It takes a little time to find its footing but I just like the animation quite a bit and the characters are just good ridiculous fun. Plus, all the great American references are fun (especially the trial show where "Tom Croose" is a lawyer and the Ghosts for the week are Ren and Stimpy, except Ren is a woman and they get married) and of course, if anything, just watch episode six of the show. If you can't enjoy the amazingly epic fight between Panty and Stocking versus Scanty and Kneesocks, then I have no idea how you can like action scenes, it truly reaches for the top and gets there.

Also, thumbs up to the guy at the end of this article who got me to remember "Saturday Anime" on Sci-Fi. Ah those times as a young lad watching my first animes like Vampire Hunter D and a litany of ones I'll never see again because I don't remember the names of them from my ages of 6-8.
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:

But even just British VAs wouldn't necessarily cut it, because there are a range of class accents and speech pattern that are going to vary highly by character.

Second season would be even worse. Not only do you then have to figure in regional accents into the equation, but you ALSO have several fairly major recurring characters who are *German* nationals. Speaking accented British English. And THOSE range in socioeconomic class as well...
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really think Panty and Stocking would be my thing when it was subs ... but hearing Monica Rial shout C*ntmuffin really made my life.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I say give VAs a chance, but I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to dubs. I love the Baccano! dub, even though as a native New Yorker, fake New Yawk/Jersey accents usually drive me nuts. Baccano! was so campy and fun and the dub worked, imho.

I'll let native citizens of GB judge its accuracy, but my favorite character in Darker Than Black was voiced by an American VA affecting a British accent, and I loved his voice. In the commentary, the actor notes how he consulted British friends and worked on his pronunciation.

An Emma dub was a no go from day 1 because Right Stuf doesn't dub its original licenses, and even if, say, Sentai or even Manga UK got it, I doubt a seinen niche show like Emma would warrant a dub financially. Even though, watching British characters in England speak Japanese made me wince when I caught the first couple eps at a con a few years ago.

BTW, I have similar feelings about watching an anime set in France voiced in Japanese or even English. I've been searching for a way to watch Rose of Versailles in French with English subs to no avail. (I'd also love to see a few eps of Le Chavalier D'Eon in French...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4