• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crashing Japan - Pop Japan Travel: Day 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Neat column Cool, I really enjoyed reading it! I'm looking forward to reading the others. There's a lot of good advice, all of which will be helpful when I plan my trip to Japan Very Happy.

Quote:
Sorry that this message got long...
Not at all, it's good advice, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AKosygin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:42 am Reply with quote
If your bank is Citibank, they have foreign... or more accurately Japanese branches and you will be in luck (like I was) and had access to my money without carrying too much: http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/shpatm/top.html
and
http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/shpatm/al001a.html

Now, the danger is that you should still carry enough cash to not rely on the ATMs or Bank Branches to get money too often because you get dinged for the conversion. So, you might want to check with your bank to see if they have any branches in Japan. Also, while you can use your credit card in Japan where they do accept credit cards, there are three things you have to watch out for:
1.) Every time you swipe/use the card, your bank is likely to ding you a conversion fee.
2.) Some banks or credit card companies does not automatically allow foreign charges, so call your bank to make sure you are allowed and not be taken as a fraud alert action.
3.) Credit card receipts in Japan aren't handle the same way in the U.S. and the laws are different. When you receive your copy of the credit card receipt your ENTIRE credit card number is shown (not XXXXXed out like in the U.S.) so make sure that you dispose of those receipts PROPERLY to avoid credit card number theft.

If you have a Bank of America account, there is one branch in Tokyo, or more accurately some where in Minato-ku, which isn't exactly convienent. And while I know that Union Bank of California is basically the U.S. subsidiary of a Japanese bank (in Japan), I don't know if their system is linked to allow you to pull money like the other two I mentioned.

So, in the end, the lesson is: carry sufficient cash (about a week). If you are uncomfortable with large amounts of money in your pocket, divide the money and put it away in a small bag in your hotel's safe deposit box at the front desk. Or, find your bank branch in Japan, and make plans for a replenish run to the bank. You may want to talk to your bank in the U.S. about how to get money if you plan to make huge purchases or do massive spending. Japan is not very travelers checks friendly.
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote
Neat! I'm glad to hear you flew into Kansai. Y'know, the real Japan. Wink

It's so cool to see someone experiencing Kyoto for the first time. So now I will gush about it nostalgically and self-indulgently for a while. Forgive me.

My school was on the ninth red dot to the right of #9 on the Kyoto map, and if you follow the Kintetsu Kyoto line south from Kyoto Station a while you get to my host family's house. (That makes three trains, two connections every day, which wasn't a happy thing.)

Kiyomizudera is incredible, not just because of the temple (I have yet to even fathom how they really got those logs up there. I mean really.) but also because of the neighborhood.

I assume this is it for Kyoto for you guys? It's too bad you didn't get to Arashiyama or Hieizan, which are my other favorite places. I guess they're a bit remote for a one-day tour, though. Just promise me you'll go back someday. Wink

I did sometimes feel silly ordering the Japanese option on planes and in hotels when all the Japanese people around me were eating toast and fried eggs. The romanticizing power of the Western mind, eh?

This is a great idea for a column and I would write one like it at Toon Zone if I could justify it in any way at all (alas, I cannot).

Enjoy the shinkansen (be sure to order one of the exhorbitantly expensive but delicious bento) and Animate and Ghibli stuff and Nikko (YOU ARE GOING TO NIKKO, RIGHT?).

Geez, I am in serious Japan withdrawal. At least I'll be back in Kyoto next week for my Korean visa, even if it's only for four days. Anyway, suffice it to say that I'm just a bit jealous and I hope the rest of your trip is safe and suprising. Keep us updated!
Cybilcora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I have had my eye on Pop Japan Travels for the past 3 years now.

I have been trying to take one of their tours in March season for my birthday :} I love Spring and Japan is so beautiful in the Spring time I hear. Or possibly May would be nice.

I am probably one of those people that will take out a personal loan just to go. I have been concidering using some of my [Probably Spam] to fund a trip for March 2006.

Back in May of 2003 I believe it was, they were advertizing The Samurai Tour that included (and I quote here) "White water rafting through Bamboo Forests" of Kyoto!!!!!! I wanted to die when I read that. It also included a stint in Tokyo also.

But when I called them the following year as they didn't post a similar tour package, they said they didn't get enough responce for that tour and had to cancel it. It was posted with little time for booking and such.

I begged them to please concider it for future tours.
So if you are interested in using Pop Japan and White Water rafting in bamboo forests interests you, give them a call to let them know and see if they can and will do it. Very Happy

Edit::Fri July 22,2005

Pop Japan Travel just announced their Endless Summer Tour is Featuring the River Ride I believe that I've just mentioned.

"Hozu River

Participants will enjoy the scenic views of Kyoto. The tour will board the Sagano Romantic Train known for its old-fashioned construction and open-air windows, participants will travel over the Hozu River Gorge to Kameoka Torokko Station. After a relaxing train ride, participants will have the opportunity to ride the Hozu River Rapids from Kameoka station back to Arashiyama!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2