• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
True enough. I mean, there's stuff I don't know, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show because I'm already familiar with the main characters. Actually my main questions have already been answered by mad mac: i.e. why they are in that place and what the deal with A-chan is.
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Nagi's my favorite character, so naturally I liked it. They went waaaay back for some of these chapters, though. Loved the Zettai Karen Children reference, just because the ZKC anime has a history of referencing HnG.

Alice/Athena will be up next week, which is good for people who haven't read the manga. She has so few chapters that I already know exactly what they're going to adapt.

I have to say though, even though Cuties isn't the bleh dating sim concept we were threatened with early on, what it is shaping up to be is basically pure filler. (Manga filler, but still.) It's a very odd way adaption approach if you think about it.

I guess it makes sense if you consider this the "safe" super conservative season to balance out the riskiness of Season 3.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I prefer this filler style, it's why I liked the first season the most.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The name "Cuties" is kind of annoying, but the episodes are cute, simple stories that are some fun. I recognised the first two stories from the manga, that is when Nagi spoiler[woke up early only to fall asleep again], and when Nagi spoiler[rented the R rated movie]. I guess I am rather fond both these Nagi centred chapters without her ragging on Hayate. Hearing it from Rie is probably always best.

I thought that the title of the DVD (Vattalion) was not quite right, so checked my localized manga volume (number 17). And the Manga did in fact use the name "spoiler[Return of the Living Dead]", which was pretty obvious what it was meant to be, although I have not actually seen the movie (I read Wikipedia). The manga itself tried very meekly to say that it had no connection to the movie of the same name that the author actually own a copy of on DVD, I guess tv was less flexible. I love the twists like that Hayate knew spoiler[that Nagi was looking at], and That Maria ended up spoiler[with the same reaction at the end].

I did have a little problem as Wataru did not look right, perhaps his hair was too light or something. Oh and despite all the problems I was having with the fact that they keep jumping between mansion and no mansion, the solved it with a simple line. They acknowledged that they apparently go to the place so Nagi does not loaf around as much, which kind of feels like it fits in with the sort of motivation of the movie. Gives the more flexibility to just do fun stuff

And likening Nagi to a fish, using the Nagi expression, reminds me of the four panels at the back which are always fun.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Hayate and Maria are a married couple raising a troublesome kid.

The one LOL line was when they were all in bed and those two were discussing Nagi's behavior. spoiler[(are you asleep yet?)]

It is cute how Nagi is developing an interest in sex -- they should play with that more. My favorite Nagi is when she is astute and assertive -- I don't think we will see any of that this season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yay for Fumi, I tend to find her hilarious. And A-tan too, Hayate seemed very eager for some reason, I liked her most with Nagi. When I saw them at the spoiler[vending machine] I had a sneaking suspicion she would try to spoiler[use her credit card], it is the exact thing she was doing when spoiler[Hayate met her].

And Yukiji did not make things worse for once, despite the fact there was money involved.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And Yukiji did not make things worse for once, despite the fact there was money involved.

Yeah, but only because the others showed up in time. Otherwise, she woulda been back off to Vega, prolly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Laughing This episode was funny, more than anything I want good laughs, and that was definitely in this episode. Isumi's mother actually spoiler[hired Fumi as Isumi's maid], just that is comedy gold.

And the Sakuya looking for a maid, I seem to remember reading that chapter, and it felt just as enjoyable watching this. I am not sure but was chiharu referencing Nagato, or Sousuke? And the last one, it seems that Isumi finally took a chance at getting back at Sakuya for that time she made Isumi dress up for her own amusement.

And by the looks of next week they will do a chapter that I just read in volume 21 with Sakuya's brother, oh that is a good one.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So I just started this and I'm so god damn confused because I just came in from Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

(but all the confusion was alleviated by like a 2-3 sentence explanation in the crunchyroll comments, so now I'm up to speed... sort of)

That said, given how unlucky Hayate was in episode 1, I was almost almost convinced that being in a harem wasn't worth it.

(this dude goes to sleep at 3:30, wakes up at 4:30, say what?)

Everything that can go wrong... goes wrong (they just... wouldn't let him take his test).

That said, I'm hoping for more Maria content this time around since older women (by one year lol) are awesome.

(I was like VA VA VOOOM during that one thing in the Vegas safe in the previous series)
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
why does Isumi always cover her mouth when talking? is it some sort of super wealthy proper lady behavior thing?
DKL

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that it was some stereotypical traditional thing that some Japanese people did...

(like... don't show your teeth while talking or something... and maybe this was something that was done like 2 million years ago)

But I'm not sure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I think she does it because I find it adorable.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think she does it because I find it adorable.

This is actually the best explanation.

Also, I find it funny that mother does it too.

(... or I at least vaguely remember that she does it too)
mad mac

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
She does, but usually only when she's talking to her daughter. It's always hilarious seeing the two of them talking to each other with their faces covered from halfway across the room in that stilted super-formal style they have.

The Saginomiya family is the most traditional of rich Japanese families. The manga even has a running gag of Isumi procuring convenient (but useless) "artifacts that have been passed down in the Saginomiya Clan for generations" that I don't think ever made it to the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
Best episode so far imo of this season. spoiler[Hinagiku] is definitely my favorites among the characters cast with her personality, looks, and interactions with Hayate as well as the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6