• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Shoot the Corps

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Ar Tonelico AWOOGA.”

I'd buy it

Quote:
OPUS made this game? Good to see Berkeley Breathed doing so well.

naw, he probably split the profits with Bill and Milo....

Last edited by Wooga on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Losstarot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I tried playing Hard Corps. Put it down after an hour. The combination of the quicksand in the first level and having to mash the shoot button constantly when using the default gun was a problem for me. The machine gun is like a godsend, but I couldn't ever keep it for long without taking a hit and losing it.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hahaha, I had that Turbo Touch SNES controller. Laughing
I had the Genesis version. annoyed my friends to no end when we played fighting games and they had to use their basic Genesis controllers that came with the system... Laughing
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
AnnoyedWabbit wrote:
In defense of the English dub for Uprising, the voice actors were random native speakers practically pulled off the streets of Japan. The dub director was tearing his hair over it.
I could definitely see that. Where'd you hear/read about this BTW? It'd be an interesting article.

utawoutau wrote:
Unfortunately I've promised not to touch a single Aksys game until I get Arcana Heart 3 on the US 360.
Same here, man. It really is a darn shame.

Losstarot wrote:
I tried playing Hard Corps. Put it down after an hour. The combination of the quicksand in the first level and having to mash the shoot button constantly when using the default gun was a problem for me. The machine gun is like a godsend, but I couldn't ever keep it for long without taking a hit and losing it.
You realize that you can dash with the bumpers or a directional double tap, right? And if you jump continuously before you start sinking you really don't lose any mobility.

And you can switch to an empty weapon slot just before getting hit to prevent yourself from losing your favourite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote
Both of the downloadable characters in Uprising are special. Sayuri gets you a sword, Harley gets you sillier quips!

Default gun didn't bother me that much, but I suppose Contra 4's default rabbit poop shooter set the bar pretty low.

If you've got a friend to play this with, definitely do so, it's a good time.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Okamiden, but I'll probably wait for a couple reviews to go up first. Now, the original Okami was great, so no doubts on that front - it's just that I've had a less-than-great track record of finishing DS games I buy. I think the last three or four I've played, I've left all unfinished.

I'm also curious about the Yakuza series, since it looks cool but I haven't played any before. Is it just kind of a Japanese-flavored GTA? Or does it have a different style to it?
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Taiyz"]
AnnoyedWabbit wrote:
In defense of the English dub for Uprising, the voice actors were random native speakers practically pulled off the streets of Japan. The dub director was tearing his hair over it.
I could definitely see that. Where'd you hear/read about this BTW? It'd be an interesting article.

Sorry, no article. :/ The guy directing the dub is one of my oldest friends - we met in second grade.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:

I'm also curious about the Yakuza series, since it looks cool but I haven't played any before. Is it just kind of a Japanese-flavored GTA? Or does it have a different style to it?

It's a bit slower paced than GTA. It sort of feels like Shenmue with a more polished (and more frequent) combat element to it. I would say it's a hybrid RPG-brawler. You gain experience points to get new fighting abilities and you use them in Final Fight-style brawling sequences. There are items to pick up and use and mini-games such as an arcade, batting range, etc,. just like Shenmue. GTA is more of a sandbox game with full camera movement, but in Yakuza there are many places where the camera is fixed.

Yakuza games have seen some spotty localizations for the U.S. Yakuza 1 is good but only has an english dub which to some ears feels a bit corny at first. Yakuza 2 has no dub and is entirely subtitled. For most people Yakuza 2 is the best of the series and is the one installment which feels exactly the same as the JP release. Yakuza 3 suffers from some censorship and several mini games being cut out of the North American release.

Ultimately, it's a very fun series, but don't go into an expecting GTA mechanics.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
An advertising stunt creating controversy and attracting huge attention to them and their product? Wow, THQ really messed up there.

In other news...
Quote:
THQ's Danny Bilson recently confirmed to Eurogamer that Homefront has become THQ's most pre-ordered title ever, with over 200,000 copies already earmarked for consumers.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
No, that's not it. He only said it "will tell you all you need to know about the game." Laughing

Silence. You missed the point of what I meant. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2