• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kodocha DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and everyone refers to him in English as “AhKEEdo”,

Ahh, the horrible ameri-accent-pronunciation rears it's ugly head again.
Nice review, Kodocha being my favourite shojo series alongside Full Moon wo Sagashite.
Anyway, one thing I didn't understand, dub B- is understandable (although I would have given it C) but why is the sub only B+?
It would be interesting to see what they 'did about the whole pimp thing', and on that note, what age rating have they put on Kodocha?
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the problem's with using TOKIO's song was that they used to be with Sony, but they aren't now. Of course, you can blame Sony, but as TOKIO is with Johnny's Entertainment, I'm sure some blame can be placed there as well. That company is very...odd...

A nice little article about Morning Musume and Johnny's:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,13887,1550807,00.html

It does seem like they should be able to edit out the music and keep the dialogue in, but maybe the audio track is too outdated and can't be separated easily.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
No, CHRIS PATTON said that they were able to separate the thing, but the Japanese company still didn't approve and they had to drop the audio out entirely
Awesome Possum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Quote:
and everyone refers to him in English as “AhKEEdo”,

Ahh, the horrible ameri-accent-pronunciation rears it's ugly head again.
Nice review, Kodocha being my favourite shojo series alongside Full Moon wo Sagashite.
Anyway, one thing I didn't understand, dub B- is understandable (although I would have given it C) but why is the sub only B+?
It would be interesting to see what they 'did about the whole pimp thing', and on that note, what age rating have they put on Kodocha?

=/ Why'd they have to pronounce Akito wrong? I think they mispronounced some other names too...like Mami.
The sub probably got a B+ because of the sound that had to be cut out.
They left the pimp thing in for the sub, cut it completely out for the dub. It's a 13+ anime, so I don't know why it'd be cut. By age 13, kids already know what a pimp is and get the joke in it. I watched it when I was 12 and easily understood it. Razz It was a little thing to cut, but taking out that whole joke took a lot out of it for me.

=/ I also didn't like some of the others edits they did for no reason. I mean..if they REALLY were targeting preteens and young teenage girls...it was originally made for preteenage girls and it's a pretty innocent series with the occasional perverted joke that made it funny to kids my age. For example, in the original, Tsuyoshi kept on talking about Akito as the girls were marching down the hall...so they called him gay (or something to that extent...because my old subs are HK bootlegs and can be off at times) and hit him or something, leaving him behind. In the dub, they called him "a spy for the boys"..which sounded dumb. And in that scene where the male teacher confessed to Sana about Akito blackmailing them with that picture of them making out..in the original, Sana did a dance specifically related to that (don't remember the words), making fun of that...in the dub, she just did a random dance to stop thinking about it. x.x;; It doesn't feel like they were trying to make this 13+..rather than something younger.

I didn't like Akito's dub voice. I HATED the babbit's dub voice. That was so awful. =/

I liked Sana's. It was different from the original...I mean..it felt more kiddish to me...but it really worked. Misako's dub voice (Mama's) was perfect. Rei's...was also different..but, once again, it worked well enough. Tsuyoshi's voice worked fine, and the girl's voices were so-so.

I would have to agree with most people. Stuff was lost in the dubbing. Just..a lot of the feeling to it. I'm sure there's a lot of Japanese references I missed. I didn't understand them all when I first watched it and I don't get most of them now..and I still liked it then...so I barely paid attention.

I really wish FUNimation could've gotten that Tokio song....it's a great song. =/ Too bad.

There's probably much more I missed, but that's my main annoyances. Besides all of that, I didn't think it was bad as I imagined. Kodocha is my all-time favorite anime, so I was surprised that I wasn't really disappointed.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I understand about the audio drops in the scenes involving the band, but should I be seeing the audio dropped from the Japanese track on the next ep previews as well? Or do I have a defective disk?
DBW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Or do I have a defective disk?

No, your disk is fine, the audio was dropped completely for all scenes involving the song.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
*checks against illegal version of Kodocha* Oh, okay, I didn't realize that they used the song for the previews, though I probably should have Embarassed
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I actully thought my disk was broken because when ever i would switch to the Japanese preview ther was no sound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2