• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Apples and Ogres

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Despite my big gripe with Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, I cannot deny that this series looks glorious, and the atmosphere is just amazing.

This is very much true but I'm finding the series to be a complete drag; So far, I've forced myself through nine episodes {BD 1} and I've even read the manga previously or maybe just parts of it, I think I've forgotten bits and chunks and the whole thing really as I could have sworn Kirie came into the story a bit later than...

Always being there? Whatever. Momoe's the intended love interest.

I liked the gag stuff {I bought the series based off the first episode} and the episode with "Not Hiroshi" {storyboarded by Nabeshin naturally} was a blast but as a fan of horror and creepy atmosphere, this isn't. And as for the ghost romance garbage:

Topper, it all stems back to Topper. Yeah, it didn't work there either.

It looks great, sure. But, hey, where's that smell coming from? What's keeping me watching the series, besides the fact I bought it? Identifying the artist on each ending eyecatch but I've only gotten two so far...
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The closer I get to my moving day, the more I seem to find little odds and ends that need to be moved. Those are the items that you can't just throw in a box without them getting damaged, and you can't shove them in a bag without them getting mangled. You know, those bits and pieces. I hope that someday, human kind can get to a point where all our belongings are just square-shaped, for easy moving.

As annoying as it might be storing em, this is precisely why I like to keep ALL of the original packaging of those easily breakable and not very transportable bits and pieces stored somewhere.

Sure saved my ass when I moved 2 weeks ago!

And yes, Dusk Maiden was awesome, it really was a pleasant surprise given that I was about to skip it entirely as yet another vaguely supernatural high school show.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
Topper, it all stems back to Topper. Yeah, it didn't work there either.

Topper first came out in1926. I think Dusk Maiden likely had more recent influences. In any case, spoiler[Marion came back for a sequel also.]
PGRM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to rewatching Dusk Maiden of Amnesia with the dub soon, I'm glad that it holds up better to a marathon than to watching it weekly. I almost dropped it due to the comedy bits, but the horror stuff was actually quite well done and atmospheric.

Kamisama Dolls...ugh. It needed a second season, but even then, the show is just watchable, not really standing out. I liked the premise, and Kyohei and Aki made me come back for more. However, the obvious sequel-baiting and lack of development for other characters (especially Hibino) kinda turned me off of the series. Such a shame that the second season never came to fruition, but I guess I'll just have to read the manga if I'm ever curious enough to see where it goes. Not helping this release was the fact that the dub was kinda wooden and unnatural (then again, Foster dub).
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the flashback episodes being the most interesting and easily the best episodes out of Kamasama Dolls. Foster's directing for the dub in the flashback episodes was quite good I especially liked Mike Yager as Aki Kuga's demented step brother its probably the best voice work I've heard from him to date.

Shelley Calene-Black was also noteworthy as Chihaya Senou. If the entire series would been as good as the flashback episodes then the series could of been truly great. I haven't watched Appleseed XIII yet but its on my to watch list. The english dub judging from the trailer sounds quite good but that's to be expected considering Colleen Clinkenbeard is the ADR director for the dub.

I recently finished watching Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I had really high expectations for the series going into it. I enjoyed the series but It never really connected with me like I was hoping it would at times it reminded me of Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two with its on going romance.Its not my favorite dub that Chris Ayres has directed but its definitely a solid dub that does have its moments of excellence.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
I agree with the shelf placement of Kamisama Dolls. It was a fun series, but not worth buying. I am never a big fan of characters with Hibino's body style, but she is one of the best of that style character I have ever seen, mostly because of the way she behaves and dresses. She does what women who are overly blessed in the bust department usually do, which is dress in a way as to not emphasize the size of her breasts. She wears modest turtleneck sweaters and things like that, not low-cut tops or side-less dresses that show them off.

Dusk Maiden is one that is just off the edge of the shelf for me. I liked it a lot, I might consider buying it someday if I find it on sale, but the ending really ticked me off enough that I don't need to buy the dub. I'll be happy re-watching the subbed version. (Don't get me wrong, if Sentai puts the dub up somewhere that I have a membership or can watch it for free, I'm there!) The OVA episode is the biggest draw, as I have yet to see it. Maybe I'll see if I can rent it from Netflix sometime...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I am never a big fan of characters with Hibino's body style, but she is one of the best of that style character I have ever seen, mostly because of the way she behaves and dresses. She does what women who are overly blessed in the bust department usually do, which is dress in a way as to not emphasize the size of her breasts. She wears modest turtleneck sweaters and things like that, not low-cut tops or side-less dresses that show them off.

She also is notable for not being subjected to a beach episode or (as far as I can remember) hotsprings episode. Oh sure, we saw her in a bikini for a couple seconds, but that was more a "ha hah, you were expecting to ogle her but we won't let you" tease by the creators. I appreciated the way she wasn't objectified by having so much fanservice, though I don't think she needed to have breasts of that size in the first place. Also I could have done without her being groped by the psycho girl (even if some viewers found that to be extremely hot).

But generally speaking the fanservice in Kamisama Dolls was very tame and understated in the few instances we even got any.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
zensunni wrote:
I am never a big fan of characters with Hibino's body style, but she is one of the best of that style character I have ever seen, mostly because of the way she behaves and dresses. She does what women who are overly blessed in the bust department usually do, which is dress in a way as to not emphasize the size of her breasts. She wears modest turtleneck sweaters and things like that, not low-cut tops or side-less dresses that show them off.

She also is notable for not being subjected to a beach episode or (as far as I can remember) hotsprings episode. Oh sure, we saw her in a bikini for a couple seconds, but that was more a "ha hah, you were expecting to ogle her but we won't let you" tease by the creators. I appreciated the way she wasn't objectified by having so much fanservice, though I don't think she needed to have breasts of that size in the first place. Also I could have done without her being groped by the psycho girl (even if some viewers found that to be extremely hot).

Agreed. And there was that one scene where she was dangling and her sweater was lifting up, exposing her in her bra, but that's the only other example I can think of.
diadumenian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I got tired of Dusk Maiden after about 4 episodes, the premise was pretty cool but seemed to fall into a standard routine of cheap horror thrills, not so funny gags, and fanservice-y tropes (breast sizes and such). Based on your review I'm going to give it another try!

I also agree that Kamisama Dolls dragged a bit in the middle, but the original fighting machine concepts and well-executed battle scenes kept me hooked. If it comes back for a second season I'm definitely watching.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Asimov's Robot trilogy? Oh, yeah, the fourth novel (Robots and Empire) is currently out of print in the U.S. for some reason, like the second volume of Asimov's complete short stories.

Though Robots and Empire is part of Asimov bringing together his Robot stories, his Galactic Empire stories and his Foundation stories, so while it is conventionally the fourth of the Elijah Bailey stories, the Robots of Dawn is very much set in the the Spacers vs Earth setting of the two 1950's novels while Robots and Empire bridge between that setting and the Galactic Empire.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Asimov's Robot trilogy? Oh, yeah, the fourth novel (Robots and Empire) is currently out of print in the U.S. for some reason, like the second volume of Asimov's complete short stories.

Though Robots and Empire is part of Asimov bringing together his Robot stories, his Galactic Empire stories and his Foundation stories, so while it is conventionally the fourth of the Elijah Bailey stories, the Robots of Dawn is very much set in the the Spacers vs Earth setting of the two 1950's novels while Robots and Empire bridge between that setting and the Galactic Empire.

That was always my take on it too, but it is technically considered a "Robot series" novel, just as "Foundation and Earth" is considered a "Foundation series" novel, when it is really the completion of the cycle connecting the Foundation novels back to the Robot novels. (Along with "Prelude to Foundation" and "Forward the Foundation")
Aldora07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I have seen some pictures from the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia manga and I think I should buy the anime. That ghost bitch is hot with tig bitties and stuff Shocked
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I had with the show was how generic those lines they spew out near the end during the romance section.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2